Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in what you guys think about this - Chi Kung

Why people believe in superstition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWo3kTYb8W0

I am going to have to agree with the majority that he is a fraud. Unless you can go in and actually see him work his 'magic'. However, your first statement is quite a huge leap as well.
    Bruce Lee is MMA

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    In the prison system inmates would put Brilcream and another substance on paper, then wad it up and throw it into trash cans to start fires.

If a guy can start fires with chi using paper he should be able to do it with wood too. Bring your own stuff to have him burn. Have him melt a horse shoe or something difficult. Anyone can turn paper into fire.
    It's disrespectful to make demands of a charismatic master.

That or, it's not a faucet you can turn on and off at will.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    That was definitely real and definitely not a stage trick.
    I liked this answer best, in light of the recent "kerfuffle".

When it comes to charismatic sects, I believe it's not important that miracles or demonstrations of magic power be especially convicing or plausible. If anything, it's more a question of "if they'll believe that, they'll believe anything". You need followers willing to suspend belief. The resulting groupthink dynamic will carry you through the rest.

In Burma there are secret societies of wizard-bodhisattvas. One has a yearly ritual where the wizards fly from a secret mountain to the temple. Hundreds of devotees witness them fly in through the window and land. Except that they actually just climb up from outside the window and jump in.

It's an ecstatic ceremony and the people are so psyched up they see it as if the wizards were flying. And the few that don't see that probably just think there's something wrong with their own heads; that maybe they don't have enough faith or something. They certainly don't question it openly.
    Last edited by rett; 03-24-2013 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    When it comes to charismatic sects, I believe it's not important that miracles or demonstrations of magic power be especially convicing or plausible. If anything, it's more a question of "if they'll believe that, they'll believe anything". You need followers willing to suspend belief. The resulting groupthink dynamic will carry you through the rest.

In Burma there are secret societies of wizard-bodhisattvas. One has a yearly ritual where the wizards fly from a secret mountain to the temple. Hundreds of devotees witness them fly in through the window and land. Except that they actually just climb up from outside the window and jump in.

It's an ecstatic ceremony and the people are so psyched up they see it as if the wizards were flying. And the few that don't see that probably just think there's something wrong with their own heads; that maybe they don't have enough faith or something. They certainly don't question it openly.
    I am sure the wizards are just so humble they are making it "seem" like they are climbing in the window so as not to appear to be showing off to non-believers!

Regard all phenomena as illusion - Buddha
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    I liked this answer best, in light of the recent "kerfuffle".
    yes, clearly much better to say all frauds are in fact god like masters than risk the wrath of an ambulance chaser
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

As I've said before, if anyone could demonstrate legitimate evidence that they could do any of this, not only would James Randi pay them $1,000,000, but they would also be able to run the most popular, successful, and profitable school in the history of martial arts.

I know, I know. These true masters don't want to use their powers for personal gain, fame, or recognition.

Never mind the fact that they could use the $1,000,000 for charity to improve the world. You know, cuz they're such good, honest, and legitimate people.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Shamantics and mysic belief infused with some voodoo. Yes ill have another, hell by a round.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

anyone notice how all the internal chi fanatics are atheists?

magic chi is nice replacement for angry daddy sky god. no morals, no rules, only power for self.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    anyone notice how all the internal chi fanatics are atheists?

magic chi is nice replacement for angry daddy sky god. no morals, no rules, only power for self.
    Not really, the chi ball freaks here are all the most super spiritual. The couple people here that I am reasonably sure are atheist are the ones calling BS on it. There are loons in every group, but on average we are pretty much skeptical of just about anything without proof. Although that is not required of atheism.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Not really, the chi ball freaks here are all the most super spiritual. The couple people here that I am reasonably sure are atheist are the ones calling BS on it. There are loons in every group, but on average we are pretty much skeptical of just about anything without proof. Although that is not required of atheism.
    im talking about people in real life.

even if not atheist, its usually the ones that hate jesus that get hooked on this chi business.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    im talking about people in real life.

even if not atheist, its usually the ones that hate jesus that get hooked on this chi business.
    Yeah this is true. These are the super subjective people looking for an escape from reality but don't want to be another average mainstream religious individual with no significance (a lot like the people in the UFO thread that can't face reality and want to be part of some super secret inside group), or they're the granola eating suburbanites that have bastardized Buddhism and specifically martial arts with their American softcore soccer mom mentalities and their man-gina tendencies.

Some of those people could be called atheist, but a lot have just run from one god to another. No one said rationalism was a prerequisite for atheism, but we typically attract the rational in greater proportions. I think its better to be a skeptic personally. Or to use a phrase from Neil deGrasse Tyson, "the only -ist I am, is a scientist."

Although those bent on applying labels, he does fit the definition of an atheist. What can we do, humans like to categorize. No sense fighting it, it means little if you don't stake your identity on in emotionally.
    Last edited by SoCo KungFu; 03-24-2013 at 11:54 AM.

soCo you must be atheist as well.. correct? you said you need scientific proof before you believe in anything
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."