If you only had a few, a rack is good.

If you have so many,

I lay them on the floor flatly.

Blog Entries
    Your swords are not for displayed. You should hide it

- behind the door,
    - in the closet,
    - under the sofa,

Always make sure that when you see a stranger appears in your front door, you will be able to reach one of your swords ASAP.

Weapon is for "...". It's not for "display".
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Always make sure that when you see a stranger appears in your front door, you will be able to reach one of your swords ASAP.

Weapon is for "...". It's not for "display".
    I love your quotes John...will you please move up north and teach me Shuai Chiao?
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    have done these for special orders in the past. After receiving a number of inquiry we put together a few different models.

This is the Student "Top Loading" Model.

- 11 openings that can hold staffs/spears
    - 3 special - able to hold Blades & Ball/Ring Pomel Lances (Kwandao/Pu Dao)
    - 1 extra special - able to hold Butterfly Knives/Nan Dao/Hook Swords, etc.

(customization is available as well for a nominal cost)

The Design is Strong and Stable - option of a "Full Free Standing Base" or a "1/2 Wall Supporting Base" (Free Wall Mounting Kit Available)

Cost: $79.95 (plus S&H).
    Looks like quality craftsmenship Master Hargrove.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Thanks for the compliment. I'm no master, still a novice in training.

nice to have a rack or two

I just use a rope or a piece of cloth to tie up my practice "weapons" in a bundle

like hay

--

a rack is good for display as pointed out

I like to bundle my practice "weapons"

it is easier to carry around and place them in the trunk of a car

you do not want to carry a rack to the park or outdoor practice area

--

For traveling I like to use a "Double - Ski Bag". It can handle even the tallest & widest Long Weapons.

I remember when attending tournaments in California, Texas of Florida you'd see in the numerous people getting their Ski Bags from the luggage area.

We got some really strange looks from the locals. LOL

The red one below is what I had. But the next one is really cool to have.

My Shaolin weapons rack

I got this weapons rack from the Shaolin Forge many years ago. It can hold up to five one-handed weapons. It is hand-carved out of some soft wood and stained to mimic rosewood. It has a nice dragon in relief on the faceplate. I've broken one of the rests as the wood is so soft, but it was easy enough to repair.

These were never sold there. They just carved them in their spare time to display their swords. When I asked if I could buy one, they thought I was nuts as no one ever bought the racks, and certainly not a foreigner. Finally, after much haggling, we agreed on a price. It was outrageously cheap for something hand-carved, like $10/20 USD or so.

I also use a wall-hanging rifle rack for some other swords. I also have this circular metal table frame that was designed to support a glass table top. I bought that years ago really cheap too because the tabletop had shattered and the shop just wanted to unload it. It's a sturdy metal frame and holds my other weapons like flowers in a vase. I can pack dozens of weapons in that one.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

One of things we do before offering a product is to research whats out there.

China's mass production material is generally garbage for any real Martial Artist to use. They use soft pine that is weak and therefore cracks and chips easily. Also the fasteners become loose in a very short period of time so the thing just falls apart.

China's finish is inferior. They try to cover up imperfections by using plaster product over coat. You've probably already experienced that on their weapons, in a short time the handles finish cracks with paint and plaster falling off (quite messy).

We take the time to create a durable finish through multiple steps of sanding, sealing, coating and sanding again until smooth before any stain or paint is applied and then add a clear coat as over kill quality control.

Our products are made one at a time. We even allow customization from the customer at little or no cost.

And what makes it even worse is that China Products are more, yes more expensive then what we charge.

So if you want something that is going to last through the years and still look good, and made in the good old USA , contact us below.

Never buy racks 'off the rack' in China.

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    And what makes it even worse is that China Products are more, yes more expensive then what we charge.
    You can beat $10/20 USD? Seriously, I hear ya, ngokfei. Don't even get me started on Chinese product quality control. Our reps are in China now to crack the whip once again on our factories and buyers. And we still get the occasional shipment that has to be discarded for inferior quality.

But I love my little Shaolin weapon rack. It has a lot of sentimental value.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

well you got me there Gene. I could do it but no profit at all even though I could probably crank it out in an hour or 2. Can't beat what workers are paid in China compared to lets say a living wage here in the US

Now most of the blades I've gotten are okay (some from you guys ) as practice/student weapons but its always the shaft and handles that are really garbage.

I've had to buy a box of non-tapered Bo staffs (the low quality ones) and replace all the handles.

I learned how to replace the crappy handles on swords and sabers from your old Sifu WL. I used to spend some time repairing my sifu's swords allthe time, with wire, chopsticks, washers, etc. Finally it was easier to get a piece of hard wood and just make a new handle. They are still in use today after almost 30 years.

If you look at the weapons in the photo you'll see that i've re-finished the blades (Golden Sword Yuen). After time the chrome got thin and pitted. I just used a can of Gold Chrome Paint and ... But you got to really prepare the metal before hand or else it'll just chip off.

Perhaps you should do a section called "This Old Kwoon" LOL

This Old Kwoon - luv it!

I did an article on sword refurbishing a long time ago - back in our Sword Special: 9 Simple Rules of Sword Maintenance The Basic Care and Feeding of Your Sword. I always tweak my weapons - it's the force of habit being a former swordmaker. But again, I hear ya. The quality of low-end and middle-end weapons has been declining, especially with traditional weapons. The high-end has been getting better but also so freaking expensive.

I'm not a big fan of chrome. Then again, I've been sorting a lot of my old weapons recently and I'm embarrassed at how many have fallen into a state of disrepair.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

There is alot more variety on higher end weapons these days. This shows the industry is growing and long time exponents are looking to upgrade.

That is something I do as well. I offer products that range from Economy all the way to high end art (if I may be so bold!! LOL)

Beginners/novice are just starting out and need to keep cost in mind along with functionality so there will always be a market for the Economy Line items.

The average practitioner does it as a hobby and at most trains 2-3 times a week so their equipment will tend to last a while.

The following link is to a great site but they are more for actual/real bladed weapons then the Chrome practice ones.
    Sword Restoration and maintenance

You guys have watched Hanzo the Razor too many times...

Quote Originally Posted by SKM View Post
    100% agreement.
    There are longstanding traditions about weapon display, not only in Chinese culture, but in many other cultures as well. For a premium quality sword, it would be disrespectful to hide it.

We did a short article on it in our sword special. It's nice to hear that you think so highly of that one, SKM - it was on of my personal favs too. See The Feng Shui of Sword Display: A place to hang your sword by Wilson Sun (with Gigi Oh & Gene Ching)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sorry to hear you were robbed. That really sucks.

And thanks for keeping our back issues so well preserved. That's very reaffirming.

I remember having a Police Officer inspect my home many years ago. He told me that weapons were prized items among thieves. My home was robbed four years ago. Strangely, they didn't steal any of my weapons. I'm thankful for that.

I just realized that I've been remiss in my duties here to plug our primary sponsor. If you're not looking for something custom made by our dear member, ngokfei, and are okay with a weapons rack 'off the rack' so to speak, MartialArtsMart.com offers a selection of different racks for your weapon racking needs. See Weapons Stands & Racks.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips