Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the biggest fraud in Chinese martial arts?

2 things I think are not true and not necessarily fraud or false claims

1. you do this and that and no can defend.

Every moves can be countered just like yin and yang coexist.

2. no peaking or ever growing over time

We do peak in physical abilities one way or another.

When we get old, we get old.

--

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    you still havent got over chung moo quan. your new cult is shaolin.
    I got bored with the Cult of Shaolin. I have been looking around for a new one to join, but nothing I have found really excites me.

Dahn Yoga was just lame. Scientology was totally hokie. I even thought of joining a biker gang, because they are pretty cultish and all that...but those guys simply scared me too much (they have great parties though!).

I have recently been thinking that I would be best off starting my own cult.

What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBK5aKOr2Fw

Have you considered the initiation process for Wombat Combat?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    LOL!!

Tell me more!

YKW,

Thank you for seeing my point about "Chinese prejudice" was not a racial one. I was a bit nervous that you had taken the comment personally. I only meant a prejudice about teaching qualifications, not a prejudice about ethnicity.

And it's not like I think that fantastic skill is an impediment either. I just think it's neither here nore there. You just have to be, in most cases, competant at what you want to teach.

People tend to vastly underestimate what a special skill teaching is. I also agree that the right kind of student can learn from anybody who is good. In many ways, yes, the best way to learn a throw (or a qin na or whatever) is to simply be thrown by it many times and to try to pay attention even though your instinct may be to simply panic and scream like a little girl. But it's really only a certain kind of student who can do that. I teach English. In every class (about 50 or so students in a class) there are generally 2 or 3 students who do not need a teacher. For those 2 or 3 out of 50-55, the best thing would be just a native speaker to hang out with them and answer questions as needed. For them, a native speaker makes a huge difference. For the other 95%, I often really feel that they can learn more easily and more quickly from their Chinese born teacher with the ****ty accent and mediocre listening comprehension. Their Chinese teacher is often just a better teacher than I am. (I'm getting better butI think I'm still only so so)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    the best way to learn a throw (or a qin na or whatever) is to simply be thrown by it many times ...
    I have never believed in LKJ until oneday when David C. K. Lin charged toward me. I could feel his enengy just project toward my body when we were still a foot apart. I felt like I had to move out of his striking path otherwise I would be crashed. It was a very strange feeling. After that day, I believe LKJ is "mentally" and not "physically".

The way that I look at the problem of the TCMA is, those people who can make others to believe (人证) are dying out day by day.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-26-2013 at 05:47 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    Every moves can be countered just like yin and yang coexist.
    Sometime if you don't react fast enough, it may be too late to counter. If you allow your opponent to pick you off the ground, none of your counters will work.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I have never believed in LKJ until oneday when David C. K. Lin charged toward me. I could feel his enengy just project toward my body when we were still a foot apart. I felt like I had to move out of his striking path otherwise I would be crashed. It was a very strange feeling. After that day, I believe LKJ is "mentally" and not "physically".

The way that I look at the problem of the TCMA is, those people who can make others to believe are dying out day by day.
    I know a 5'7" skinny 104 pound Italian woman who can do this. When her temper gets lit up, I have seen 6'4" muscle bound bikers shaking in thier boots uncontrollably.

Got into a scuffle with a guy in the bar she manages last weekend. It was her breaking us up that put me into sheer terror and shaking inside, not the guy who kicked me in the knee.

So yeah, LKJ is definitely real.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Sometime if you don't react fast enough, it may be too late to counter. If you allow your opponent to pick you off the ground, none of your counters will work.
    Yes. There will be a point in time and space/position of no return or no counter.

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I expect civilized discourse.

The biggest fraud? That is tough, but I will start with Garrett Gee, Then Ip Man second.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    he is not worthy of the wombat.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I'm not really sure how one determines a fraud anymore. Most instructors and master don't fight anymore to prove their skills. It's a different world. There's no longer a need to prove one's fighting skills. You'll most likely get shot or get sued if you do. And the ones that do try to prove their skills are usually restricted to tournament rules and guidelines that eliminate most of the techniques in his style. Therefore, can a fighter under that type of setting really prove his skills?

I don't know. I'm most likely completely wrong, so feel free to disagree with me. In my opinion, the history and culture of TCMA and learning forms are already so interesting, that I really don't care if a TCMA instructor can actually fight well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gweilo_Fist View Post
    There's no longer a need to prove one's fighting skills.
    If a teacher tells his students that he teaches health, performance, self-cultivation, and inner peace, he doesn't have to prove his fighting skill. The word "fraud" will have no meaning.

If you publish a book

- "Taiji for health", you don't need to include any application in your book.
    - "Taiji for combat", just explaining how to do your form is not enough.

You define yourself. Nobody will force you to define yourself as someone you are not.

Allow me to quote someone had said in another forum:

"If you spend all your time on forms and zero time on fighting you’re going to have a beautiful form but you won’t be able to fight unless you’ve had some other training".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-28-2013 at 10:54 PM.

Great fighters win fights.

Great teachers have students that win fights.

Bill Belichek never played football past highschool, but he's been to 5 Superbowls as a head coach.

Mike Singletary was one the greateast linebackers of all time. He utterly failed at coaching a team (49ers) that, under a new head coach, just went to the Superbowl.
    Yeah, and what he teaches is tried tested and successful. You can teach flower dancing really well, but if you front like it's combat effective and it's not.... you are a fraud. If you say "I teach flower dancing and if you try it for real you will get hurt" then you are not.

I don't think you have to be the best at something to teach. You don't even have to be that good yourself. As long as you know the stuff and have verified that it works you can say you teach a combat effective MA. If you don't know forsure, you are making unfounded claims.

I love how DJ assumes I'm knocking CMA. Projecting like that is weak sauce.

I expect civilized discourse.
    Without a doubt, this guy:

The only documented case of this doughboy actually going full contact against an opponent was of him getting KTFO in about 15 seconds.

Yet he comes here talking like he is some kind of tough guy.