Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GSP and Nazi Sympathizers

GSP and Nazi Sympathizers

Apparently some people are offended by the Rising Sun gi GSP wore. I actually made a rising sun head band for a tournament as a teenager. I was unaware of the political significance it carried.

Not sure it would have bothered me anyway...you expect to see confederate flags at a southern rock concert, doesn't mean they're all a bunch of racists. Only 40% of them.

I'm sure he was just paying homage to his Japanese Karate.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-ca...4367--mma.html
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Blast! I can't edit my atrocious spelling error in the head line. How embarrassing...
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

Fixed that for ya, Kellen

You can thank me by buying a dozen of these: Banzai headbands

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Doesn't the Rising Sun flag signifies Japan's kicking ass all over, virtually, all of Asia through raping, plundering and pillaging....in recent retrospect? Somewhat equivalent to the Swastika.

Blog Entries
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-25-2013 at 06:01 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I don't think anyone should be able to demand GSP not wear it, but if it were me I would certainly take that request under consideration. If it evokes feelings in the same way the nazi swastika does. And my ancestry is Japanese (with a heavy dose of Ainu blood; the Ainu were historically discriminated against and heavily suppressed by the majority Yayoi Japanese). Better to switch his uniform design to the regular Japanese flag.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-25-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Another reason why people shouldn't wear flags on their uniforms, or hang them in their gym.

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    Another reason why people shouldn't wear flags on their uniforms, or hang them in their gym.
    Yeah, I wouldn't even want an American flag on my uniform, much less any other country's flag. I know many like to pay tribute to the country their art came from, or national pride, but I never liked the idea of flags on my MA uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    You can thank me by buying a dozen of these: Banzai headbands
    Thanks Gene...yours sure look a lot better than the one I hand painted :P

Seems like the level of offense is based upon how vocal those who were wronged, are. Like the Jews made sure that the world knows and remembers what the Nazis did to them, and rightfully so. Not only has the Swastika been removed from the realm of good taste, but most men worldwide wouldn't even dare grow a Hitler moustache nor name their kid Adolf. While the Japanese caused about the same amount of deaths and destruction throughout Asia at that time...just that the Asians aren't anywhere close to being as vocal as the Jews.

Yes they are, they just have less exposure in the West. There were anti-Japanese riots in China last year over Japan's lack of contrition for it's wartime activities (there were contemporary political issues that fueled this too).
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Possibly America's friendship with Israel and the prominence Jewish people have in some important industries here may play a role? Perhaps that's part of the reason we are so much more knowledgeable of the holocaust than other similar events?

I would also list Hollywood as a big reason. There are countless Hollywood films, and there have also been TV mini-series depicting the Holocaust. I won't go into the obvious reasons why. Of course, there are countless, probably even more, Chinese, Korean, etc., movies depicting the atrocities committed by Imperial Japanese troops, but of course these aren't so well-known nor as popular in the West.

FWIW, I think the Japanese government should have made a formal apology a long time ago, and done its best to make restitutions to survivors. But this continuing to blame Japanese people as a whole by some (many) in Asia is really tired and played out. NO country or group has clean hands in regards to committing atrocities and whitewashing/denying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    FWIW, I think the Japanese government should have made a formal apology a long time ago, and done its best to make restitutions to survivors. But this continuing to blame Japanese people as a whole by some (many) in Asia is really tired and played out. NO country or group has clean hands in regards to committing atrocities and whitewashing/denying it.
    They've apologized numerous times, it just appears that none of the apologies have ever been good enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ssued_by_Japan
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    They've apologized numerous times, it just appears that none of the apologies have ever been good enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ssued_by_Japan
    The final section of that article explains why.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk