Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WSL compilation

PB first met WSL in 1982 and started learning from him in Januay 1983. I don't know exactly, but David Peterson startet ca. the same time. But I don't knwo if the two spent much time together. Gary Lam was the older Kung Fu brother of PB and they trained together as far as I know but I'm not sure when GL started learning under WSL guidance.
    Btw. PB is 57 years old.

Kai

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post
    I'm not sure how old PB, David Peterson and Gary Lam are, or where they were based at various times in their lives.... does anyone know if these three people had over-lapping learning/instructional time with WSL?

(I don't mean learning from WSL with each other in class, but rather did they learn during the same period of time)
    Time periods mean nothing. There so many factors that contribute to how and what a student learns from his Teacher which will have a direct effect on what the student cultivates and then goes on to teach.

It would have been the same for Ip Man as it is today and may explain why there are so many different versions of Ving Tsun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaybee View Post
    PB first met WSL in 1982 and started learning from him in Januay 1983. I don't know exactly, but David Peterson startet ca. the same time. But I don't knwo if the two spent much time together. Gary Lam was the older Kung Fu brother of PB and they trained together as far as I know but I'm not sure when GL started learning under WSL guidance. Btw. PB is 57 years old. Kai
    Many thanks! PB is older than I thought he'd be.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Time periods mean nothing. There so many factors that contribute to how and what a student learns from his Teacher which will have a direct effect on what the student cultivates and then goes on to teach. It would have been the same for Ip Man as it is today and may explain why there are so many different versions of Ving Tsun.
    For sure - just wondering how WSL's development as VT'ner might have had an influence on the 'flavor' of these three guys teaching today.
    No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

Many thanks! PB is older than I thought he'd be.
    He defies logic when you try and fight him

For sure - just wondering how WSL's development as VT'ner might have had an influence on the 'flavor' of these three guys teaching today.
    I think the "flavour" of these three guys was determined by the guys themselves and not by any evolution that may have occurred during WSL's teaching years.

My sifu (Li Man Kit) said sigong WSL not only encouraged scientific review of VT but personal growth through experience both personal and shared. Sifu said WSL inquired after his students applications and experiences if any in the field. Li Man Kit sifu has his own understanding of WSL VT that is fathfull yet unique.Sifu LMK always followed up with me any time my VT was used on the job in security and doorman roles
    Last edited by Happy Tiger; 03-27-2013 at 08:14 AM.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

No I don't care to elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Funny considering the nice way he asked. ; )
    Yes because he's known for that
    You guys are something else - Graham pretty much gives an obvious non-answer the first time and you have a problem with me asking him to elaborate?

The last place to discuss the differences between the two is on this forum.
    If you don't want to discuss on a forum, then why did you bother to answer in the first place?
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    My sifu (Li Man Kit) said sigong WSL not only encouraged scientific review of VT but personal growth through experience both personal and shared. Sifu said WSL inquired after his students applications and experiences if any in the field. Li Man Kit sifu has his own understanding of WSL VT that is fathfull yet unique.Sifu LMK always followed up with me any time my VT was used on the job in security and doorman roles
    I can't really see any point in discussing what happened in days gone by. There are more stories told in Ving Tsun than there are fairy tales and most are fairy tales.

WSL's first generation of students are still about so best thing to do is go visit them and then all becomes clear.

That's what I did anyway and in my opinion PB is second to none BUT that is my opinion and one that may not be shared by everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    You guys are something else - Graham pretty much gives an obvious non-answer the first time and you have a problem with me asking him to elaborate?

If you don't want to discuss on a forum, then why did you bother to answer in the first place?
    Good point. I won't bother in future.

I can't really see any point in discussing what happened in days gone by. There are more stories told in Ving Tsun than there are fairy tales and most are fairy tales.

WSL's first generation of students are still about so best thing to do is go visit them and then all becomes clear.

That's what I did anyway and in my opinion PB is second to none BUT that is my opinion and one that may not be shared by everybody.
    Good enough. Li Man Kit sifu is first generation WSL. 14 years.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaybee View Post
    PB first met WSL in 1982 and started learning from him in Januay 1983. I don't know exactly, but David Peterson startet ca. the same time. But I don't knwo if the two spent much time together. Gary Lam was the older Kung Fu brother of PB and they trained together as far as I know but I'm not sure when GL started learning under WSL guidance.
    Btw. PB is 57 years old.

Kai
    Thanks for giving this background. I don't know why some of the others on this forum are so cagey. Maybe because of the way they've gone after other people's sifus? Doesn't matter. From what little I've seen and heard about Philip Bayer and David Peterson, I have great respect for both, and if I could afford to travel, I would greatly enjoy the honor of meeting them.

Can't say the same about some of their students.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post

Can't say the same about some of their students.
    How can you make that assumption based on what is wrote on the internet?

I draw no final conclusions about people until I meet them face to face no matter what is wrote on here. If I did I think there would be something wrong with me.

Are you ok?

How can you make that assumption based on what is wrote on the internet?

I draw no final conclusions about people until I meet them face to face no matter what is wrote on here. If I did I think there would be something wrong with me.

Are you ok?
    Graham, you're quite right that sometimes the written word can give a false impression. But what you write is an expression of yourself, as much as are the words you speak. If someone makes a bad impression with their words, spoken or written, it will tend to color how others view them.

On the other hand, I'm an open-minded kinda guy. If I got it all wrong, I'm happy to change my mind.
    Last edited by Grumblegeezer; 03-27-2013 at 12:42 PM.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    Graham, you're quite right that sometimes the written word can give a false impression. But what you write is an expression of yourself, as much as are the words you speak. If someone makes a bad impression with their words, spoken or written, it will tend to color how others view them.
    It l depends how you interpret what you read.