Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weight Plateau

Weight Plateau

I have been trying to drop a weight class for a while, but I am having no luck. I've been within a few pounds of 145 for about 9 months now.

When I first decided to get into fighting shape, I weighed about 165, I dropped to 145 like it was nothing and have been stuck their ever since. I'm 5'6" and most of the guys fighting at 145 go about 5'9" or 5'10" it seems like. I don't want to deal with the reach disadvantage and I'm trying to get to 135.

I'm working out about 4 hours a day, 5 days a week right now. On Saturday I do about 2 hours and I take Sunday off.

I've recently started replacing foods with lower calorie versions; i.e. changed 2% milk to 1%, white bread to a lower calorie wheat bread, replaced most of my snacks with fresh fruit...but I'm still stuck between 143 and 145. If I eat any less than I do now I'm always hungry.

Anyone got any advice on this? I really don't want to cut weight. I would like to be at my target weight or within 2 pounds. It's too stressful for me to worry about making weight when I want to focus on training. I feel like 135 isn't extreme at my height and body type, but my weight has barely moved in 9 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

The only thing you can do is cut calories. It would appear your natural weight for your activity level is 145 however.

Maybe go ahead and compete at that weight and look for innovative ways to close the distance against those with longer reach.

I had the same sort of problem in my younger days. Most of the people I sparred against were over 6 foot plus and I run about 5'9".

But I learned to close distance and create distance quickly to compensate out of necessity. Although if you are grappling the smaller wing span may actually help you!

What Scottrbrownr said. Try at the higher weight and see, it would be worth it for the experience.

PS: I have the opposite problem, can't get to 145 and stuck at 140-143 no matter how much I eat. Of course, it's due to a health issue.

I agree with what Scott said.

I'd just add to drop all dairy and wheat products and replace the milk with Silk original unsweetened coconut or almond milk. The coconut has 50 percent more calcium and less calories than milk and is better for you anyway. We really shouldn't be drinking milk after infancy in my opinion. And, we probably shouldn't be drinking cows milk at all since it was designed for the calf and not the human.

You are putting in the hours already for the workout but maybe add more variety to the types of exercises you are doing to keep your muscles guessing so they won't plateau.

Good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    Try at the higher weight and see, it would be worth it for the experience.
    I have been. I've done alright but it seems like I tend to be the smaller guy. I really thought I would see better results putting these kind of hours in. I may be stuck with staying at this weight or drastically changing my diet.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post

I'd just add to drop all dairy and wheat products and replace the milk with Silk original unsweetened coconut or almond milk.
    I'll give it a shot...I didn't want to cut milk completely, because I love it and need the calcium for conditioning...but if this stuff has more calcium and tastes alright I'm game...

You won't be sorry. I cut milk years ago. It's really not even the best source of calcium but it is a great source of steroids and antibiotics. Broccoli and other veggies are great sources of calcium and the coconut milk is delicious. If you eat cereal then I'd also suggest a switch to oatmeal rather than gluten rich processed cereals. I use the coconut milk in my oatmeal instead of water for a sweeter taste and I also add cinnamon and raw honey. I'd also recommend chia seed for calcium and wolf or goji berries for vitamin C. Shelled hemp seed is great as well for protein. Chia, hemp seed and goji berries have just about all the vitamins that a person needs. Also, stay away from the soy milk unless it's in small quantities. It has phytoestrogens which are okay in small quantities but they add soy to everything now just like corn. Both are not good in large quantities in my opinion and high fructose corn syrup is just crap so watch that as well.

Sorry for being long winded but I feel these are great nutrition suggestions for everybody.
    Last edited by GoldenBrain; 03-26-2013 at 10:25 AM.

I agree with what Scott said.

I'd just add to drop all dairy and wheat products and replace the milk with Silk original unsweetened coconut or almond milk. The coconut has 50 percent more calcium and less calories than milk and is better for you anyway. We really shouldn't be drinking milk after infancy in my opinion. And, we probably shouldn't be drinking cows milk at all since it was designed for the calf and not the human.

You are putting in the hours already for the workout but maybe add more variety to the types of exercises you are doing to keep your muscles guessing so they won't plateau.

Good luck!!!
    Blasphemy. I work for a large dairy company. You want my kids to starve? You *******!

J/k
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Blasphemy. I work for a large dairy company. You want my kids to starve? You *******!

J/k

I'm sure ya'll do just fine. Each to their own I say. I see people at the grocery story pulling milk off the shelf like it's about to be discontinued. Of course they are usually a little larger in girth than those grabbing for the coconut milk.

My wife is from the Philippines where they have a lot coconut milk, she says it give you loose bowels, so start slow and see how you tolerate it. When I tried it, I got an upset stomach.

She says she only uses it for cooking!

You don't have to give up milk. I am a huge milk drinker myself, usually between 1/2-1 gallon a day for most of my life. I will be 54 in two months.

I have no ill effect from milk and never have. The biggest milk drinkers on the planet are the Dutch and they are also the largest people, in general, on the planet. There is probably some connection there.

If you still want to drink milk just go to 1% or non-fat and watch the total calories carefully.

I'm sure ya'll do just fine. Each to their own I say. I see people at the grocery story pulling milk off the shelf like it's about to be discontinued. Of course they are usually a little larger in girth than those grabbing for the coconut milk.
    Not me, or my family.

I am a muscular 200# and all of my kids are skinny. Even my 5 year old daughter who drinks 1/2 gallon of whole milk a day.

My 16 year old son drank nearly a gallon a day as a 5 year old and drinks that much now still. He is 6'2" 170#.

I gained my last 15# on pepsi, for the caffeine because I worked 6 nights a week for the last 10 years. I have always had a hard time putting on weight before the pepsi though.

As I said above, I have drank 1/2 - 1 gallon a day for most of my life. When I was a child my parents had to limit my milk consumption at dinner because I would drink two glasses before I would eat anything.

For most of my adult life I would keep the gallon next to my chair at the dinner table and my glass is NEVER empty til the end of the meal. As soon as it gets 1/2 full i refill it.

You won't be sorry. I cut milk years ago. It's really not even the best source of calcium but it is a great source of steroids and antibiotics. Broccoli and other veggies are great sources of calcium and the coconut milk is delicious. If you eat cereal then I'd also suggest a switch to oatmeal rather than gluten rich processed cereals. I use the coconut milk in my oatmeal instead of water for a sweeter taste and I also add cinnamon and raw honey. I'd also recommend chia seed for calcium and wolf or goji berries for vitamin C. Shelled hemp seed is great as well for protein. Chia, hemp seed and goji berries have just about all the vitamins that a person needs. Also, stay away from the soy milk unless it's in small quantities. It has phytoestrogens which are okay in small quantities but they add soy to everything now just like corn. Both are not good in large quantities in my opinion and high fructose corn syrup is just crap so watch that as well.

Sorry for being long winded but I feel these are great nutrition suggestions for everybody.
    My oatmeal breakfast consists of:

1/2 cup whole oats
    2 eggs cooked in with the oats
    raisins cooked in with the oats
    peanut butter added after cooked
    apple sauce added after cooked
    for added taste at times, cinnamon, or real vanilla, or rarely honey.

And of course a LARGE glass of milk that is never empty until the oatmeal is finished

When I was younger it was one cup of whole oats!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Not me, or my family.

I am a muscular 200# and all of my kids are skinny. Even my 5 year old daughter who drinks 1/2 gallon of whole milk a day.

My 16 year old son drank nearly a gallon a day as a 5 year old and drinks that much now still. He is 6'2" 170#.

I gained my last 15# on pepsi, for the caffeine because I worked 6 nights a week for the last 10 years. I have always had a hard time putting on weight before the pepsi though.

As I said above, I have drank 1/2 - 1 gallon a day for most of my life. When I was a child my parents had to limit my milk consumption at dinner because I would drink two glasses before I would eat anything.

For most of my adult life I would keep the gallon next to my chair at the dinner table and my glass is NEVER empty til the end of the meal. As soon as it gets 1/2 full i refill it.

I believe that's more from the protein in milk. It's a better source of protein than it is for calcium. The way I understand it is that it takes more energy for the body to digest protein than calcium which is why most of the calcium in milk is excreted rather than absorbed. Broccoli is a better source of calcium than milk but you shouldn't eat it raw because it can mess with the thyroid. Chia seed is an even better source of calcium, something like 7 times the amount per serving as a glass of milk.

As for the coconut milk, it's not exactly like from a coconut. It's made the same way as almond or soy milk so it's just like drinking milk except that it's sweeter and has a mild coconut flavor. I've never had bowel issues with it and for lactose intolerant people or people who just don't like milk it's a great alternative.

I grew up on milk but as I got older I found it harder to process, so that's the main reason I switched.

That is exactly like my father, milk never goes back in the fridge 'til dinner was over. Of course there were 9 kids so we had to have 2 gallons out. I love milk, but I've really cut back on it. I only have about an 8 oz glass at lunch and dinner now...I was drinking considerably more for most my life.

My oatmeal breakfast consists of:

1/2 cup whole oats
    2 eggs cooked in with the oats
    raisins cooked in with the oats
    peanut butter added after cooked
    apple sauce added after cooked
    for added taste at times, cinnamon, or real vanilla, or rarely honey.

And of course a LARGE glass of milk that is never empty until the oatmeal is finished

When I was younger it was one cup of whole oats!
    That sounds delicious! I'll try this one tomorrow, minus the large glass of cow milk that is.