Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Weight Plateau

What specifically are you doing with the weights? I'd switch the 2 mile run for sprints, 3 days per week.

What's the boxing gym routine and how often do you change it?

Also, I wouldn't do the traditional class daily. I'd probably drop 2 days and figure out how to up the intensity with the weights and fight training. Not permanently, just while you're trying to cut.

How frequently do you eat?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I'm really new to the weights, I just added them in because I got laid off about 2 weeks ago. My job is all heavy manual labor, so I don't do any lifting while I'm working, I figure it's a better use of my time to train the more fight specific stuff, since I spend all day carrying heavy things...

Now that I'm laid off I was concerned about not getting any strength training so I've been lifting with my brother for the past couple weeks to supplement. He works a different muscle group everyday...we'll do like biceps, next day tries, next day abs, next day lats, I really don't know what the names of the lifts are. I just copy him and he tells me if I'm doing them wrong. He usually does about 5 different exercises, some machines, some dumbbells, some free weights. Usually 3 sets of reps on most of them..it's not very intense and takes about 30 to 45 minutes to do.

I haven't been pushing myself on the weights, I do enough so I'm always sore the next day, but not bad. Never enough that I don't feel like hitting the bags. I know I could do more weight than I have been, but I was concerned if I overdo it I'll be getting diminishing returns on the kickboxing. As I said, I don't know much at all about weights. Not really sure what kind of regiment I should be doing, I just wanted to keep my strength up since I'm not carrying blocks, planks and throwing bags of mortar all day now.

After that I run 2 miles...(doing that on treadmill on the hill settings) gonna start with the sprints outside real soon...weathers starting to break, we're still in late winter here, but most the snows gone...

At the boxing gym I start off with heavy bags. Either 3 minute or 5 minute rounds, depending on the other people I have to work with, 1 minute breaks. I do 5 rounds of bags. Go pretty good on them, the last 30 seconds of all rounds I try to go all out, as hard as I can. I make sure I wind myself in the last 30 seconds of every round.

Next I do Thai pad sparring, usually hold a few rounds, then I hit them a few rounds. Same thing as the bags, try to really amp it up the last 30 seconds. Pads seem to always be more of a workout than the heavy bags...after that, usually work clinch for 15 minutes or so. Usually pretty tired by the end of clinch work...then do 3 or 4 rounds of sparring...after, (or sometimes before sparring), we'll work on some partner drills...that goes however long it goes...the whole session is almost always 2 hours, we'll take about 2 rounds off over the course the session..when putting the cups on; or right after we finish pads, to catch a breather...

Pretty much the same routine everyday....just change up whatever specific partner drill we do.

In the morning I have a cup of coffee and a couple little, crappy store donuts, (190 calories between them.) Then I workout, get home and have lunch around noon. Eat Dinner about 5, may have a couple snacks in between and after the traditional class in the evening.
    Last edited by Kellen Bassette; 03-28-2013 at 12:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

i dont think its healthy to force urself below 140 pounds. thats a little extreme.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I have been trying to drop a weight class for a while, but I am having no luck. I've been within a few pounds of 145 for about 9 months now.

When I first decided to get into fighting shape, I weighed about 165, I dropped to 145 like it was nothing and have been stuck their ever since. I'm 5'6" and most of the guys fighting at 145 go about 5'9" or 5'10" it seems like. I don't want to deal with the reach disadvantage and I'm trying to get to 135.

I'm working out about 4 hours a day, 5 days a week right now. On Saturday I do about 2 hours and I take Sunday off.

I've recently started replacing foods with lower calorie versions; i.e. changed 2% milk to 1%, white bread to a lower calorie wheat bread, replaced most of my snacks with fresh fruit...but I'm still stuck between 143 and 145. If I eat any less than I do now I'm always hungry.

Anyone got any advice on this? I really don't want to cut weight. I would like to be at my target weight or within 2 pounds. It's too stressful for me to worry about making weight when I want to focus on training. I feel like 135 isn't extreme at my height and body type, but my weight has barely moved in 9 months.
    Forget about counting calories. If you want to lose that extra few pounds, eat all the meat you want and stop eating grains, milk, and fruits. Fatty meats are the best, and fat does not make fat, so you are safe. What makes fat is carbs only. The more sugars the worse it gets. Once you get the pounds like you want them, start adding some of the other stuff back slowly. You will see just how much you can tolerate before you start putting it back on.
    You can survive and prosper on meat alone.
    Jackie Lee

Different things work for different people based on body type activity levels etc. However, there is a mathmatical formula for losing weight. Back during my competition years I tried lots of bad diet advice. Judging by what you wrote(and others) there are some mistakes and misconceptions about weight loss here. Truth be told there is really now way around it, in order to lose weight you have to know your caloric needs to maintain your current weight then you have to take in less than that amount. I wrote a pretty lengthy article about it on my blog so check it out. http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot....n-kung-fu.html

I also agree with sevenstar that short training durations are preffereable to long workouts. I try to keep all my personal workouts around 1 hr and ramp up the intensity. Just for being effiecient its much better. I can squeeze in more volume of work in 1 hour now than i used to when i trained for time i.e. "I train for x amount of hrs per day"

Another valuable resource for training tips is this blog http://rosstraining.com/blog/
    Last edited by Shaolindynasty; 03-29-2013 at 09:52 AM.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post
    Different things work for different people based on body type activity levels etc. However, there is a mathmatical formula for losing weight. Back during my competition years I tried lots of bad diet advice. Judging by what you wrote(and others) there are some mistakes and misconceptions about weight loss here. Truth be told there is really now way around it, in order to lose weight you have to know your caloric needs to maintain your current weight then you have to take in less than that amount. I wrote a pretty lengthy article about it on my blog so check it out. http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot....n-kung-fu.html

I also agree with sevenstar that short training durations are preffereable to long workouts. I try to keep all my personal workouts around 1 hr and ramp up the intensity. Just for being effiecient its much better. I can squeeze in more volume of work in 1 hour now than i used to when i trained for time i.e. "I train for x amount of hrs per day"

Another valuable resource for training tips is this blog http://rosstraining.com/blog/
    Your article is pretty good and helped a lot, cheers! But I am not sure about something yet... My weight is 178 pounds now and I'll fight in 170 pounds on July, the weigh-in is one day before. Any idea about the effect of keeping 1 day without food and water before the weigh-in? I am not sure if that's enough for losing 8 pounds for the weigh-in.
    向雷锋学习!~

“人生根本不存在极限,但是却存在着停滞期。你不能在这个阶段停留,要跨越它。如果你跨越不了它,就会被它 彻底摧毁。” - 《李小龙》

“保持空灵之心,无形,无法,就像水一样。水倒入杯中就成了杯子的形状,倒入瓶中就成为瓶子的形状,倒入茶 壶中就成为茶壶的形状。而水能载舟亦能覆舟。像水一样吧,我的朋友。” - 《李小龙》

Your article is pretty good and helped a lot, cheers! But I am not sure about something yet... My weight is 178 pounds now and I'll fight in 170 pounds on July, the weigh-in is one day before. Any idea about the effect of keeping 1 day without food and water before the weigh-in? I am not sure if that's enough for losing 8 pounds for the weigh-in.
    Whats the actual weight class? Its usually like 170-179 in which case i wouldn't worry about cutting weight at all.

I'm actually against cutting weight for a comp thru dehydration. I advise eating lean in the months leading up to the fight(or year round). In my experience not only does cutting weight that way cause physical stress but imo takes away the athletes mental focus to some degree. I think both physical and mental stress needs to be considered when deciding whether or not the benefits of cutting the weight outweigh the negative aspects. That is really up to your coach and you to decide as its not something that someone can tell with out direct experience with the person.

Honestly if I was still competing I would do things different. I would have learned more about the science behind dietary habits and eat lean year round that way the weight wouldnt be an issue. Lacking discipline in the kitchen was my biggest downfall at that time.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post
    Whats the actual weight class? Its usually like 170-179 in which case i wouldn't worry about cutting weight at all.

I'm actually against cutting weight for a comp thru dehydration. I advise eating lean in the months leading up to the fight(or year round). In my experience not only does cutting weight that way cause physical stress but imo takes away the athletes mental focus to some degree. I think both physical and mental stress needs to be considered when deciding whether or not the benefits of cutting the weight outweigh the negative aspects. That is really up to your coach and you to decide as its not something that someone can tell with out direct experience with the person.

Honestly if I was still competing I would do things different. I would have learned more about the science behind dietary habits and eat lean year round that way the weight wouldnt be an issue. Lacking discipline in the kitchen was my biggest downfall at that time.
    It's from 159 to 170 pounds. I'll follow your advice, but my plan was to not cut much weight, just a wee bit. Lyoto Machida, MMA fighter, he's known for not cutting weight, and we can see his cardio and KO power are pretty good. I was just thinking about cutting what is possible in one day, not in a whole week like some fighters do.
    向雷锋学习!~

“人生根本不存在极限,但是却存在着停滞期。你不能在这个阶段停留,要跨越它。如果你跨越不了它,就会被它 彻底摧毁。” - 《李小龙》

“保持空灵之心,无形,无法,就像水一样。水倒入杯中就成了杯子的形状,倒入瓶中就成为瓶子的形状,倒入茶 壶中就成为茶壶的形状。而水能载舟亦能覆舟。像水一样吧,我的朋友。” - 《李小龙》

Thanks ShaolinDynasty, I read you blog...good stuff. Everyone has giving me lots of stuff to think about for sure!
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!