View Poll Results: Which of the following did you used to believe?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • strength doesn't matter

6 42.86%
  • big muscles make you slow and/or inflexible

5 35.71%
  • these old Asian methods of exercise/training are better than newer western methods

6 42.86%
  • taiji is the deadliest martial art but it takes like 10+ years to be able to fight with it

4 28.57%
  • block, 10 hit combo

4 28.57%
  • my instructor is teh deadliez even though I've never seen him spar with anyone

2 14.29%
  • I hate my own culture and replace it with Asian culture

2 14.29%
  • iron palm is based on mystical power rather than conditioning and application of physics

3 21.43%
  • Bruce Lee would win UFC if he competed in his prime

2 14.29%
  • it's not the style of martial art, it's the martial artist

10 71.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Martial arts myths: which have you believed at one point or another?

Martial arts myths: which have you believed at one point or another?

This poll is anonymous, don't worry.

Vote for as many as you want.

I am guilty of believing most of these in the past
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

go poll yourself poll boy.

say, where is this poll you claim there is anyway?

EDIT: Your polls suck. Can you show us on the bear where the bad sensei touched you man?
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 03-27-2013 at 12:47 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I chose the last one and still believe it. Its misleading though. If you take a karateka and a kungfu man and they have a stand up fight. Yes the figher will make the difference. If you take a kungfu man and a judoka and have a ground fight, the judoka will win. so in one situation its the art, in another its the fighter.

so the truth is yes and no.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

BTW, I didn't vote because there was not a "none of the above".

Blog Entries
    I chose the 3rd one and still believe it too. I still have not found any new western methods that can help me to develop "head lock" and "leg twist" as effective as the old Asian method yet.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I chose the last one and still believe it. Its misleading though. If you take a karateka and a kungfu man and they have a stand up fight. Yes the figher will make the difference. If you take a kungfu man and a judoka and have a ground fight, the judoka will win. so in one situation its the art, in another its the fighter.

Yeah..I was thinking that too. I still say it's the fighter not the system, but the training methods matter.

I actually believed a few of those, but in my defense I was 14 years old and the internet was young...
    Last edited by Kellen Bassette; 03-27-2013 at 01:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post

I agree with this.

And I also picked number 4. I'm ashamed to admit it, but when I was a kid I believed what I read in some books that made not only Taiji, but Xingyi and Bagua out to be superior to all other arts across the board. Even though I'd never met a Xingyi or Bagua person, and never liked Taiji. I used to believe many of those fantastic stories. Of course, I outgrew them after a couple years.

My grand dad told me if i cant say anything nice to someone to either shut up or knock their block off.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    go poll yourself poll boy.

say, where is this poll you claim there is anyway?

EDIT: Your polls suck. Can you show us on the bear where the bad sensei touched you man?

lol.....
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Haha, I believed lots of dumb shit when I was a kid. Fortunately I grew up. The last one is reasonable most of the time. Of course there are exceptions. While I find flower dancers laughable, they do have the foundation to get out there and test/refine. At least they should have the basic principles common and most MA's. Solid stance, mobile, flexible etc etc... I see no reason why a even a chunner can't make enough of it work if they actually train they way people actually fight. Granted, there are more efficient systems. Especially in the case of WC.

But then that begs another question. If you take a LARPer style and refine it to some reasonable effectiveness, is it still the same art you started with? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Not all styles are created equal, that's for sure. And of course there are those exceptions where the style is just ridiculous and hopeless.

And what is so wrong with yelling at inanimate objects? Come on now, we all need to vent!
    This is why I post so rarely...I just lurk and scream at my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Punch.HeadButt View Post
    This is why I post so rarely...I just lurk and scream at my computer.
    And this is your right....!!!

Try throwing it across the room when you read things you disagree with. It's great for your mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    And this is your right....!!!

Try throwing it across the room when you read things you disagree with. It's great for your mental health.
    Yeah, but you usually only get to do that once, then you lose all your bestest friends.....

.....and girlfriends.....

.....in the whole wide internets!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    I think the word troll is an abused word. Everyone is a troll now.
    Agree! When someone said, "To develop a Taiji (or WC) body", I just want to know what that person is trying to say. Since I don't believe there is a such thing as Taiji body, XingYi body, longfist body, WC body, boxing body, Judo body, the discussion just won't go anywhere.

To argue with somebody about something that you just don't agree with, it may waste your opponent's time and effort to explain it to you, it should be considered as "trolling" behavior.

A: What's Taiji body?
    B: Taiji body is ...
    A: I don't agree with you because ...
    B: You won't agree long before you even asked that question. You are a troll by definition.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-27-2013 at 04:16 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I love how you see everyone as an opponent. You have teh deadliez. I can tell you radiate chi and piss electricity! We can be friends!!!