Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cosplay

This one is for Gene.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

just for the pure awesomeness of this guys costume.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Let's roll

...and bring this back on topic with MMA's Felice Herrig.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

****** skm

Quote Originally Posted by SKM View Post
    That lady is Yaya Han, the most commercially successful cosplay artist on the scene. She is one of the main cast of they SyFy series Heroes of Cosplay.
    I watched Heroes of Cosplay last night. That's an hour of my life lost. Reality TV is so friggin bad now.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

No thanks. I'm not watching any more of that.

I'm in the Kung Fu world. I don't need to watch some silly cosplay show.

Check this out:
    SyFy’s Heroes of Cosplay Show Accused of Copyright Infringement
    DL Cade · Aug 28, 2013

Earlier this month, the Syfy channel — which is owned by NBC Universal — debuted a new show called Heroes of Cosplay. The show pits nine big-time cosplayers against one another as they try to make a name for themselves in this world of fantasy costume play.

It’s a big show on a popular network that is backed by an even bigger company, so you can imagine how surprised photographer Bryan Humphrey was when he saw that the show has used his photos of some of these cosplayers without so much as asking permission or even notifying him — and forget about payment.

Here’s a look at what Heroes of Cosplay is all about:
    Heroes of Cosplay Season 1: Extended First Look

The incident has led to a back and forth between NBC Universal and BGZ Studios — Humphrey’s “business advocate” — as they each try to get what they want. Namely, NBC would like to keep using the photos without paying a cent, while BGZ would like the almost $30,000 invoice they sent NBC paid in full.

Here’s a photo of that invoice:

The invoice was sent via email to NBC Universal, alongside a letter detailing every instance of infringement, proving authorship, explaining the invoice and asking that the matter be settled out of court prior to September 24th, 2013.

Senior Production Counsel for NBC Universal, Robyn Aronson, called BGZ shortly thereafter, but the conversation didn’t go the way BGZ might have hoped. They were told that NBC had made a deal with the cosplayers, who claimed co-authorship of the photos and therefore had every right to license out the images as they pleased.

That call was followed by an e-mail that said more or less the same thing, ending with the line “this is not intended to be a complete statement of facts relevant to this matter…” BGZ agrees with that last statement, while disagreeing with pretty much everything else NBC said.

Here’s they’re reply (click for larger version):

Since then communication has ceased, but not before Syfy and NBC allegedly began accusing the cosplayers of wrongdoing, and threatening to compromise their careers.

BGZ sent out one more email before going public with the complaint, but NBC has kept silent. The studio has three lawyers all currently asking to represent them in this case, but BGZ is keeping them at bay until the September 24th “due date” comes and goes. After that, in their own words, “it is very likely this may go to litigation.”

To read more about the case and keep up as they post updates if and when NBC finally responds, head over to the BGZ blog by clicking here.
    Woah, hold the phone..."compromise their careers"?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It looks pretty bad but the infighting and undermining is an interesting social study. Next week, Jesse, will be on the show again. He does some interesting steampunk hardware.

That looks like the Enclave from Fallout 3.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    MK - what are you talking about? Pix please.

And now, to bring this TOTALLY ON TOPIC:

The red head is super aspergers + OCD and pees in cups to keep from taking bathroom breaks while making costumes.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Sorry you take umbrage at my post, Gene.
    It only sounds rude because you left out the emoticon in his quote! How can we know what anyone means without a little face for context??? You must reference the smiley!
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

No umbrage taken

Come on now SKM, with the sort of ridiculousness I put up with here on the forum every day, I wouldn't say I took 'umbrage'. I was more horrified at the state of reality TV.

Actually, I'm glad you turned me on to HoC, just so I would know what it was. I have a lot of friends that do cosplay - a lot of the wushu people are into it (as discussed in the aforementioned ezine article The Care and Feeding of Your Inner Superhero by our copy editor Lori Ann White). I always hoped there was more of a market there for us, mostly because we get this lovely little sales bump around Halloween. That was the inspiration for NINJASTAR too. But now I realize that there is this aspect of handmade craftsmanship in cosplay, something I always knew was there but never realized the magnitude, so our 'off the rack' stuff just won't sell to that market.

I still find the cosplay wushu connection of interest. We use 'cosplay' as a derogatory term here, just like we use 'dance'. But now there's a cosplay competition show to add to the numerous dance competition shows. Martial arts has TUF, but that's fairly limited. Dance is already significantly bigger than martial arts. Will cosplay become so too? Either way, martial artists need to seriously re-evaluate what they consider derogatory.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2014

Photos: CCG EXPO 2014 kicks off in Shanghai

The 10th China International Cartoon & Game Expo opened to much fanfare at the Shanghai World Expo Exhibition & Convention Center in Shanghai yesterday. Check out the photos for cosplay, gratuitous flesh, smurfs, etc. The event will run 'til July 14 for those who want to get a glimpse for themselves.

It's Monday and we need some random cosplay...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

strangely relevant...

...and horribly tragic.

Police killed a black man dressed up like an anime character
    By Aja Romano on September 16, 2014

For the second time in two months, a black man has been shot and killed by police officers while holding a toy weapon.

The Utah police fatally shot 22-year-old Darrien Hunt on Wednesday. He was holding a fake samurai sword, which led some to believe he was cosplaying, or costume playing, as Mugen from the popular anime Samurai Champloo.

Hunt was killed outside the Panda Express in Sarasota Springs, Utah, after police responded to a complaint of a "suspicious individual" with a sword.

The initial police statement claimed that Hunt had "brandished the sword and lunged toward the officers with the sword" before they shot him.

Hunt's family, however, is claiming that a private autopsy shows Hunt was shot in the back numerous times, and that multiple witnesses saw him running away from the police.

Hunt's case is eerily similar to another recent police shooting that took place in the toy department of Walmart. On Aug. 5, John Crawford III from Dayton, Oh., was also shot and killed by police who mistook his toy weapon for a real one.

In both cases, police responded to a call of suspicious behavior. In Crawford's case, witnesses stated that he was talking on his cellphone and leaning on a toy rifle that he had picked up while shopping in the store. Witnesses speculated that Crawford did not hear police directions for him to turn around, since he was shot while still holding his phone.

Both Utah and Ohio have open-carry laws, but the "weapon" in both of these cases was a toy—in Crawford's case an unpackaged BB gun, in Hunt's case a blunt-edged fake replica of a katana, or Japanese sword. Even if Hunt's sword had been real, it is legal to publicly carry a sword under Utah's open-carry law.

The original police statement claimed that "there is currently no indication that race played any part in the confrontation" that left Hunt dead. However, given that Saratoga Springs is a Ferguson-sized small town that is 93 percent white, many are skeptical that its 65-member police force has been completely forthcoming about the incident.

On Sunday, the Saratoga Springs police department issued a now-deleted Facebook post that called for patience with the investigation into the incident, claiming that news reports about the incident had been exaggerated:

Everyone should remember that the news outlets have ratings they need to gain. They don’t report facts. They use innuendo, opinion and rumor and then report it as fact. The same thing happens here on FB and other social media. The real facts are being determined by an independent investigation, and not in a rushed or haphazard manner. When those facts are gathered and analyzed, they will be reviewed by independent legal authorities. There is no cover up and there is no corruption. While this process is played out, we ask all persons to have patience with the process and allow the process that has been legally established to go forth. No one has been charged with any crime. The law has established that there must be probable cause for charges to be filed. Then even when and if charges were filed, in this country, all persons are innocent until proven guilty. This protection is extended to all persons, including cops.

Hunt's mother, Susan Hunt, told the Deseret News that a picture she received from a witness taken just before the shooting shows her son standing peacefully, the sword nowhere to be seen. In the picture, he is reportedly flanked on both sides by policemen. Moments later, he would be dead.

"No white boy with a little sword would they shoot while he's running away," she said.

Witnesses who saw Hunt before the shooting were divided on what his behavior was before the incident, with one witness saying he appeared calm and others claiming he seemed distressed. Hunt's outfit at the time he was killed indicated that he may have been cosplaying as Mugen from Samurai Champloo, a character who is known for his erratic behavior and large sword.

Ironically, although Mugen is a samurai, near the end of the series he ultimately walks away from violence.

Tragically for Hunt, the chance to walk away never came.

Update: A new photo of Hunt taken before the altercation has been published by the Guardian and ABC. Judging from his appearance, it's unlikely he was cosplaying as Mugen and that any similarities were coincidental. We have updated this story and our headline for clarity.

Afro Samurai illustration by Khepra Design via exkarravelho/Flickr (CC-BY-SA 3.0)
    Here's our Samurai Champloo thread
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    You guys watch Heros if Cosplay on Syfy channel? I would bang that red-headed Asperger's chick who pees in cups.
    R1ddle, (YaYa's friend on the show in Atlanta,) ran an anime club that I went to in Canada back in the 90s. We were heated rivals on the message boards for the longest time. (I usually got flamed by the fanboys who wanted to bone her.) We've made peace since then and still chat from time to time.
    Last edited by BigChris; 09-17-2014 at 11:50 PM.

Oivay...

Name:  ogan8ioxybqojz1pc220.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  97.4 KB
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Awwww, where's the fun in this?

China = cosplay wet blanket.

China cracks down on cleavage at cosplay convention
    By Shen Lu and Katie Hunt, CNN
    Updated 5:02 AM ET, Fri May 22, 2015
    Now in its 12th year, ChinaJoy has become China's premier event for all things digital and gaming related.

Record high attendance – Now in its 12th year, ChinaJoy has become China's premier event for all things digital and gaming related.

Some cosplayers prepare their costumes and choreography months in advance.

A woman cosplayer poses while she waits to go on stage.

Story highlights
    Women who reveal "more than two centimeters of cleavage" banned from entertainment expo
    It's the latest example of a government campaign for stricter morality in China
    Expert says President Xi Jinping's tightening grip on ideological issues

(CNN)Organizers of Asia's largest digital entertainment expo -- where scantily clad models usually dress up as characters from comic books, movies and video games -- say they will levy a fine of $800 on women who reveal "more than two centimeters of cleavage."

Men are not exempt from the crackdown on exposed flesh.

They will face the same penalty if they wear low-hanging pants or expose their underwear. If models are caught dancing in cages or around a pole they will be fined a whopping $1,600, as will anyone caught striking vulgar poses.

It's the latest example of what appears to be a government campaign for stricter morality in China.

This year's Shanghai Auto Show banned "car babes" -- scantily clad models who in previous years had posed provocatively on car hoods to draw crowds.

And in December, government censors pulled a historical TV show off air for the ample cleavage it featured.

"The Empress of China" depicted the life of the only woman to rule China. Her reign was during the seventh century Tang dynasty -- when an ample female bosom was the prevailing aesthetic.

When the series returned to air, the cleavage was gone. Instead, viewers saw crudely edited scenes where women were only shown in close-up to avoid revealing their chests.

'We can't use vulgarity'
    New Silk Road, one of China's biggest model agencies that said it provided showgirls to ChinaJoy and vetted other model agencies used by the show, confirmed the new regulations to CNN.

Yang Ou, a spokesperson for New Silk Road, said it set the rules.

"It's a formal exhibition. We can't use vulgarity to attract attention," he said. "We ought to offer 'positive energy' to the public."

It's wasn't clear who would be tasked with measuring the cleavage on display but Yang said more details would soon be released in an official notice.

While primarily a trade show, ChinaJoy is also known for its annual cosplay competition -- participants, either solo or in teams, emulate their favorite characters and are judged on their costumes, routine and the response they received from the audience.

Last year's event attracted a quarter of a million people over three days.

Tightening grip
    Guo Weiqing, a professor of political science and public policy at Sun Yat-sen University in Guangzhou told CNN that the crackdown on scantily clad models and actresses was linked to President Xi Jinping's tightening grip on the media, Internet and ideological issues.

Guo said that China didn't have the same set of unwritten conventions on what's acceptable in public that many Western countries have.

"There has never been a public discussion," he said. "As time passes, it all falls under the government policy, which is decided by the current leader's ideology."

In October last year, Xi addressed an delegation of actors, dancers and writers, making it clear that he believed "moral values" were more important than commercial success.

"Popularity should not necessitate vulgarity," Xi told them. "Pure sensual entertainment does not equate spiritual elation."

The ChinaJoy expo opens in Shanghai on July 30. It's not clear whether the skimpily dressed models the show is renowned for will cover up or simply disappear.

They may want to join the car babes, who protested their ban from the Shanghai Auto Show in April by pretending to be beggars in ripped clothing.

Their placards read: "We want to survive." Another lamented that all their efforts to lose weight were for nothing.

CNN's intern Evonne Liu contributed to this report
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

CrackDown on Cleavage would make a good name for a thread.