Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaun sau

Gaun sau

Any one knows any YouTube Clip on instruction how to use gaun sau ?

What do you want to know ?

My wish would be for you to show "Gone" sau for good sau.
    "The ultimate nature of survival is maintaining your balance"

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Any one knows any YouTube Clip on instruction how to use gaun sau ?
    ______________________-----------

For development or for applications of which there are many.
    I dont watch you tube much.

I'm sure it was a loaded question BUT - Henrik, are you still trying to learn your kung fu from videos?? Get a good sifu to show you and some good training partners to practice with - it's the only real way you're going to learn...

Quote Originally Posted by desertwingchun2 View Post
    My wish would be for you to show "Gone" sau for good sau.
    hahaha, too funny
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Intesting technic which comes with lots of verity in different lineages.

Want to share your wsl lineage view ?

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    What do you want to know ?

Joy,

Both development and applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ______________________-----------

For development or for applications of which there are many.
    I dont watch you tube much.

Hendrik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foAAVQKvhtA

some unknown person whose narration I do not understand put up the video of Fong sifu doing the slt a long time ago.
    Gan sao is at 2.56

The gan is also there in biu jee as gan/jum and in the jong as a section with gan combined with kuen. There is also gan do with the bjd.

Good Ip man wing chun usually involves cooperation with both hands- so there is always something else balanced with the gan.

You can also see Ho Kam Ming's later protege Lui Ming Fai with the gan in the forms and the knives.

The gan can be practiced with the rich variety of footwork that we use.

The gan is usually used for the lower gates. For development the arm cam be straight for learning how to release energy. In application it is bent as a precaution against arm bars.
    The power of the gan comes from coordinating the whole body
    In attacking it can aim at the mother line via the groin, the kua the kidneys etc.In defending it can control a low attack while a jum attacks the neck/throat.In certain occasions the gan can help witha throw or even an elbow break.
    There is more but I hope the summary answers your question.
    Last edited by Vajramusti; 03-28-2013 at 04:52 PM.

Joy,

Thank you and appreciate for this excellent write up!

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foAAVQKvhtA

some unknown person whose narration I do not understand put up the video of Fong sifu doing the slt a long time ago.
    Gan sao is at 2.56

The gan is also there in biu jee as gan/jum and in the jong as a section with gan combined with kuen. There is also gan do with the bjd.

Good Ip man wing chun usually involves cooperation with both hands- so there is always something else balanced with the gan.

You can also see Ho Kam Ming's later protege Lui Ming Fai with the gan in the forms and the knives.

The gan can be practiced with the rich variety of footwork that we use.

The gan is usually used for the lower gates. For development the arm cam be straight for learning how to release energy. In application it is bent as a precaution against arm bars.
    The power of the gan comes from coordinating the whole body
    In attacking it can aim at the mother line via the groin, the kua the kidneys etc.In defending it can control a low attack while a jum attacks the neck/throat.In certain occasions the gan can help witha throw or even an elbow break.
    There is more but I hope the summary answers your question.

WSL himself showing gaan sao and later in clip a drill.
    http://youtu.be/O31Qb_VibiI

Gaun sao was originally in Bil Gee as a low / recovery action. After a fight WSL spoke to Yip Man about trying to use a jum sao against a punch that ended up dropping beyond the transverse plane. Gaun sao sequence was added to SLT because of that.
    Jum sao is the preference because its a punching attack while gaun is a low hand chaser. Sure adapting can make it a low neck chop too ; ) and a can opener !

12. In the story I was told, they were both to come to yip man to sort of who was right about the gaun sao.

YM answered :"you both are!" and authorized WSL to change HIS Siu Lim Tao.

From one of WSL old and direct student I met, he taught something different to everyone, depending how he felt a student.
    Like Yip Man.

If you think about it, you can't teach the same thing to a big thing guy and a fat short fellow.

So, like Bruce Lee, I think style in martial art is not a good idea, methods are better.
    I don't think Bruce Lee found this idea by himself, maybe he was just one who learned really wisely what was taught in Wing Chun the time he was at Ip Man's.

That's why, when I read : "We are WSL lineage, we do like WSL, we teach the real WSL style..." it just itches me a bit.

But nothing serious, keeep doing this way.
    "Deepest depth, Where one live with no light, No evil can escape my sticky tentacle, Beware the radiant octopus might !"

www.poulperadieux.com

Gaan Sau good for fighting dwarfs

I never went too much for the teach according to size idea. There are always people bigger and smaller than me. Im 6 2 but though tall, fight people taller still and smaller.Also with different centers of gravity. If I ever teach, Ill teach to let the student wear VC as he/she sees fit rather than how I see fit.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Gaun sao was originally in Bil Gee as a low / recovery action. After a fight WSL spoke to Yip Man about trying to use a jum sao against a punch that ended up dropping beyond the transverse plane. Gaun sao sequence was added to SLT because of that.
    Jum sao is the preference because its a punching attack while gaun is a low hand chaser. Sure adapting can make it a low neck chop too ; ) and a can opener !
    Interesting story, but Gaun Sao is found in non Yip Man lineages prior to WSL. Example: HFY has gaun sau in it's SNT (3rd section) and conceptually is seen a in our 4-gate defense strategies as well as 2-hand Kiu Sau bridging. And HFY does not even come from Red Boats, let alone from Yip Man lineage.

So, while WSL may have added it back in in to YM SNT, for some lineages it's always been there.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90