Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gaun sau

Indeed. The private lessons allegedly caused a stir as it was done without LT asking Leung Sheung's permission - and so was seen as generation jumping.

The MA Hero interview with YM mentioned LT was a closed door student... and when published Yip Man had no problem with the print - no correction or retraction asked for.

YM attended LT's WT events, was a guest at LT's wedding, etc. There was clearly a relationship there.
    No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

Private lessons mean little if you don't understand certain concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Private lessons mean little if you don't understand certain concepts.
    Sure - but LT is smart enough to have asked about these concepts. On more than one occasion he's highlighted the importance of the tea and dim sum meetings with Yip Man. The theory to the applications worked out in their chi sao training.
    No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post
    c) some of his students have been brainwashed and would drink goat's blood if he gave it to them
    Yes I think that all the other lineages I have been part or experienced had less tasty goats blood. I was worried with the LT guys though. They not only drink goats blood but they also f***ed the goats

I see what you did there, Graham. You took my assertion that it is impossible for your lineage (or any, for that matter), to claim totality of knowledge, and then claimed I am lacking knowledge.

o
    Mwaaaaaaaaaah haaaaa haaaaaaa

Sure - but LT is smart enough to have asked about these concepts. On more than one occasion he's highlighted the importance of the tea and dim sum meetings with Yip Man. The theory to the applications worked out in their chi sao training.
    Your assuming if one eats dim sum and has tea with yip man While asking questions one will see clearly. As mentioned there are no guarantees of understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Your assuming if one eats dim sum and has tea with yip man While asking questions one will see clearly. As mentioned there are no guarantees of understanding.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

One well known wing chun/VT sifu claimed that he was taught pole/kwan usage with a chop stick
    at a dim sum time in a restaurant!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post

One well known wing chun/VT sifu claimed that he was taught pole/kwan usage with a chop stick
    That's not hard to believe. It's easy to explain the thinking behind pole fighting strategies using two chop sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    In the WT branches of the Yip Man lineages, the sequence you've all been discussing in the 3rd section of SNT is done slightly differently.

So my question is, do any other Yip Man branches make this distinction between gaun-sau and guat-sau ...perhaps the Leung Sheung branch? Or is this done exclusively by the WT groups coming through LT?
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Your gwat sao may be an application of gan sao. BT BTW after getting into the ygkyma stance-
    the double hand down is not a gan sao to me- prefer the term sup ge sao- down ward crossing double hand...the vectors area little different.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    That's not hard to believe. It's easy to explain the thinking behind pole fighting strategies using two chop sticks.
    My thoughts exactly ; )

Quote Originally Posted by T_Ray View Post
    Two Ip Man studends asking about the tan sao and specifically whether it should come out palm down and turn or just come straight out palm up... Ip Man said they were both correct.. This was an epiphany for Ip Chun as he always thought WC was absolute.
    Ip Man was wise in teaching this way but its forgotten. VT has become formalistic with different lineages disputing the correct way to perform a technique as if fighting can reduced into a set of standard angles and curves.
    Last edited by trubblman; 03-31-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post

My first taichi teacher taught ideas about gim this way, not substitution for real thing but gives idea.