Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 steps 1 punch

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    footwork the most under rated part of training in MA.
    you need to have good footwork, 8 step IMHO is the best foot work ever trained. we use sliding steeping shifting hoping jumping, angular, box step, triangle step ,switch step etc etc,

when we attack we move quickly advancing to disrupt their center and get them retreating you said John.
    Then never let them regain thier balance, once this is obtained its easy to overcome your opponent
    How do you compare 8 step footwork to other Mantis footwork?

One story said that 8 step footwork was developed because monkey footwork was too energetic.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You have seen people who was on the bottom and tried to move back on top. You have never seen anybody who was on top and tried to move to the bottom. You still prefer to be on top than to be on the bottom. At least you have the weight advantage.

Of course, I'm just sayin... I have seen people knock their opponent out as they were falling back. Even more common when they are still on their heels and have another few steps before they actually go down. And of course we have all seen the over ambitious guy fall right into a submission because they were too offensive.

Timing is very important, even when you have your opponent reeling backwards. I know you know this.

edit: you do see some people give up top position for submission attempts from the bottom all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    True. Helps to be delivering the pain while running them them down.

If you can run, kick, punch, kao, takedown, and change direction all at the same time the way a soccer player can run and kick, that is useful. We make our students train that way.
    Yeah, best to go in with full control than to fall with your opponent. Sometimes it can be a very subtle difference when watching though. And of course there are times when it's worth it to go down hard with them, like with slams and such. But you still need to be conscious of where you will end up. A good controlled slam of most sorts will have you in side control when executed properly.

Position, position, position... right

-N-
    How do you compare 8 step footwork to other Mantis footwork?

One story said that 8 step footwork was developed because monkey footwork was too energetic
    you are correct.......in mantis 8 step footwork is the the hybrid above all. here is a section of our history taken form our website www.kungfuUSAbuffalo.com

The very energetic jumping style of the monkey footwork was very effective but it required a great deal of energy. Chiang Hua Long realized that if he were to live up to his obligations he would have to maintain his fighting abilities well into his old age. He would have to create a new system of footwork that would use energy efficiently but also maintain the Mantis devastating effectiveness. Chiang Hua Long studied the footwork of many styles such as Bagua and Tom Pei. He spent a great deal of time studying and experimenting with each movement. , Chiang Hua Long knew what would be an improvement and what would simply be change. Very carefully he considered each technique until, after ten years, he had narrowed down the most effective to eight short and eight long steps. Chiang Hua Long had taken one of the very most effective fighting systems in the world and was able to improve it.

The long steps
    Ba bu
    Cuan bu
    Diei bu
    Ru huan bu
    Nou bu
    Tuan bu
    Ta bu
    Xing bu
    Tuo bu

The short
    Huang bu
    San jioa bu
    Feng xing bu
    Mei bu
    Hua bu
    Lin cun bu
    Qi bu
    Bagua bu
    Jia bu
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 03-29-2013 at 11:13 PM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    -N-

you are correct.......in mantis 8 step footwork is the the hybrid above all. here is a section of our history taken form our website www.kungfuUSAbuffalo.com

[...]

The long steps
    Ba bu
    Cuan bu
    Diei bu
    Ru huan bu
    Nou bu
    Tuan bu
    Ta bu
    Xing bu
    Tuo bu

The short
    Huang bu
    San jioa bu
    Feng xing bu
    Mei bu
    Hua bu
    Lin cun bu
    Qi bu
    Bagua bu
    Jia bu
    Interesting. Any pics/clips of those steps?

The names are different than what we use.

3 steps one punch

5 steps one stomping kick

san bu yi da wu bu yi chuai

it is an old saying

meaning that we may punch in several moves but do not forget to include a kick

also

means that kicks do not stand alone, but we may introduce a low kick or side kick among our hand strikes, more surprise and likely to succeed.

of course we may vary punches and kicks in a combo

--

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    san bu yi da wu bu yi chuai
    That will be good on a t-shirt

-N-
    I have been meaning to video tape for instructional purposes a demo of the steps and application but I just haven't had the time. I would like to have more videos done on our youtube channel to share with others. I wish I had the collection that YKW has. it would be awesome to reference my posts with clips like he is able to do. But I do have them translated to English. perhaps this will make more sense

BA TUN BU ( 8 LONG STEPS )

1. BA BU – ( LONG LEAPING STEP ) FLYING FOOTWORK

2. CHANG BU – ( LONG STEP ) AT AN ANGLE

3. DAI BU - ( CROSS STEP ) SIDEWAYS

4. RU WAN BU – ( FAKE STEP ) IN ONE DIRECTION MOVE ANOTHER

5. NUO BU – ( CIRCULAR STEP ) SIDEWAYS CIRCULAR FAKING MOTION

6. CAUN BU – ( JUMPING DODGING STEP ) EVADING A PUNCH

7. XING BU – ( RETREATING STEP ) ZIG ZAG SKIP BACKWARD

8. TUO BU – ( FORWARD STEP ) FOLLOW WITH SAME FOOT STEP

BA CHING BU ( 8 SHORT STEPS )

1. HEN YE BU – ( SIDE STEP ) DEFENSIVE STEP TO AVOID A PUNCH

2. SAN JIAO BU – ( TRIANGLE STEP ) 3 PART FORWARD STEP MOTION

3. FANG XING BU –( SQUARE STEP ) DODGING FORWARD & BACKWARD

4. MEI HUA BU – ( FIVE CORNER STEP ) STEP AROUND OPPONENT

5. LIU XING BU – (TWO TRIANGLE STEP) POINTED OPPOSITE DIRECTION

6. QI XING BU – ( 7 STAR STEP ) FORWARD TRIANGLE

7. ZOU ZHAN BU – ( 3 STEP ) FOLLOW FOOT 3 STEP FORWARD & BACK

8. BA GUA BU – ( 8 CHANGING STEP) TURNING IN A CIRCULAR FASHION
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 03-30-2013 at 09:57 AM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Blog Entries
    SC also has 17 different footwork too. In SC, the "车轮步(Che Lun Bu) - wheeling step" plays an important role. You step in your left leg, you then spin back your right leg to make a big circle. At the same time, you pull your opponent into that empty space that you have just created. When your opponent stepas in with his left leg, if you use your right leg to attack his left, that's called "三点步(San Dia Bu) - 3 points steps".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-30-2013 at 12:32 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Frankly, I have not heard of the saying (3 steps and 1 punch). In general, one whose footwork is good will have a better chance to win. It will enable him to attack and avoid being attacked easier. Currently, my tactic is that one attacks with jump. That is jump to punch or kick at the opponent from mid distance. In the mean time, keep our self at mid distance from the opponent when we are not attacking him. The underline assumption is that the opponent is a skillful fighter. We can learn from insects in the way they move. Even though they have legs but not wings. But they move so fast that they seem to jump rather than to walk step by step.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

A. 3 to 5 combo strikes with steps are drilled.

Why ?

The first few moves will be avoided or countered by stepping away and hand moves from the opponent.

We do not stop there.

We still have more moves coming.

--

B. In tong bei, there are 2 types of drills.

1. the same strike with the left and the right posture: repeating with varying stepping methods.

of course, we may repeat the same side posture in 3 or 5 times

2. 3 to 5 strikes at high mid low left and right etc

We may vary more of course.

C. "Three steps one punch" is considering the first 3 moves or steps will be avoided or countered.

Of course, if you would land your first strike on a single step or approach.

That is the end of it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveLau View Post
    Frankly, I have not heard of the saying (3 steps and 1 punch)... But they move so fast that they seem to jump rather than to walk step by step.
    This 3 steps 1 punch end with a jumping fingers strike to the throat. It's similiar to Karate running steps flying side kick. It came from longfist Tantui #10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl1kKTP5Gg4

This 3 steps 1 punch end with a non-jumping punch. I call it running punch. It came from longfist Pao Chuan #3.

- When you left hand grab on your opponent,
    - Your opponent retreats in fast speed.
    - You use this footwork to chase and punch him on his head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgYhuuoc20Y
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-03-2013 at 10:40 AM.

1. I like to think of this

just like playing soccer or basket ball

you move to the left and then to right, then you kick the soccer ball or shoot the basket

2. Yes.

there are moves that you do 3 steps and one hand move as pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This 3 steps 1 punch end with a jumping fingers strike to the throat. It's similiar to Karate running steps flying side kick. It came from longfist Tantui #10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl1kKTP5Gg4

This 3 steps 1 punch end with a non-jumping punch. I call it running punch. It came from longfist Pao Chuan #3.

- When you left hand grab on your opponent,
    - Your opponent retreats in fast speed.
    - You use this footwork to chase and punch him on his head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgYhuuoc20Y
    Great thread John, I remember hearing you talk about 3 steps 1 punch on the Hiyaa podcast.
    I like the two clips that you posted above, except that they are a little too fast to see the footwork clearly. Do you have a clip where you're doing the steps slower?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chud View Post
    Great thread John, I remember hearing you talk about 3 steps 1 punch on the Hiyaa podcast.
    I like the two clips that you posted above, except that they are a little too fast to see the footwork clearly. Do you have a clip where you're doing the steps slower?
    The 1st clip with jump:

1st step - Step in left leg.
    2nd step - Step in right leg infront of left leg.
    3rd step - Jump up from your back left leg.

The 2nd clip without jump:

1st step - Step in left leg.
    1st step continue - Move your right back leg to touch your left front leg. I don't count this as another step because no distance gain.
    2nd step - Step in left leg again.
    3rd step - Step in right leg infront of your left leg.

In both footworks, you move from your left side forward into your right side forward.

Here is a slow clip which is the same footwork as the 2nd clip (without jump). If you repeat it left and right, the 1st rep is 3 steps. The remain reps are only 2 steps. Again if you count the back foot touch front foot as 1 step, the 1st rep is 4 steps and the rest of the reps are all 3 steps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf_5flVU6iE

Here is the same footwork with normal speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGxptvJlubY

It's so funny that sometime I just walk with this footwork pattern on the street. I truly don't care how people on the street may think about me.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-04-2013 at 08:06 PM.