Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st American Shaolin Temple Cultural Festival

Who here from the forum will be attending?

I know enoajnin, Shaolin Rasta & Lokhopkuen will be there as we've discussed it, and I imagine ShaolinDiva and wenshu too. Anyone else?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Did LA just get scooped?

The UN beats LA Convention Center...
    First Shaolin Temple Cultural Festival Held in New York
    2013-10-10 16:29:03 Xinhua Web Editor: Liu Ranran

Shi Yong Xin, current abbot of China's Shaolin Temple, offers a Buddhist greeting at the end of his speech during the first Shaolin Temple cultural festival held at the United Nations headquarters in New York, on Oct. 9, 2013. [Photo: Xinhua]

Monks from China's Shaolin Temple demonstrate Kung Fu, or traditional Chinese martial arts, during the first Shaolin Temple cultural festival held at the United Nations headquarters in New York, on Oct. 9, 2013. [Photo: Xinhua]
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Nice trophies and medals

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More updates

More to come. See you in LA!

Shaolin kung fu dazzles the UN
    Updated: 2013-10-11 05:34
    By HU HAIDAN at the United Nations (China Daily)

Shaolin kung fu dazzles the UN

Shi Yongxin, the 30th-generation abbot of the legendary Shaolin Temple, led a cultural delegation to perform kung fu at United Nations headquarters on Oct 9.

Performing traditional Chinese martial arts moves, the 18-member group wowed the audience, many of whom said they had never seen such feats before.

Shi introduced the Shaolin culture, saying Shaolin kung fu could be considered a media outlet, as it provides a ready way of sharing the wisdom of Chan Buddhism and Shaolin's contribution to the peace and health of mankind.

He said that the Shaolin Temple, which was founded during the Northern Wei Dynasty (495 AD) and is the birthplace of Shaolin martial arts and Zen Buddhism Shaolin kung fu, was legendary around the world.

Steve Orlins, president of the National Committee on US-China Relations attended the event.

Orlins said sports and cultural exchanges play an important role in US-China relations.

He recalled the legacy of "ping-pong diplomacy", and said he believed that exchanges like the Shaolin delegation's visit would strengthen the friendship between the two countries.

The appearance was co-hosted by the American-China Sports Association (ACSA) and Union National Culture & Sports Foundation.

Chen Ping, chairwoman of ACSA, said she views Shaolin kung fu as a holy and sacred tradition.

"The success of tonight's event inspires us to develop sports and cultural exchanges with confidence and determination," she said. "We will continue our efforts to make a difference."

Since Shi took office, he has continually promoted Shaolin martial arts and the Shaolin Temple in general. Shi and Shaolin Buddhist monks have visited Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, the US, Russia, and other countries to spread Chinese traditional culture in order to promote friendship and understanding between foreign cultures.

The essence of Shaolin kung fu is the unity of Zen, which focuses on the combination of chan (mind) and kung fu (body).

The performance at UN was part of the 2013 Shaolin Temple Cultural Festival.

As part of the festival, Shi gave a speech at the Memorial Church at Harvard University on October 8, where he described the fundamental aim of Buddhism as being to spiritualize the mind, seek wisdom, reflect on your motivations, live a simpler, healthier lifestyle, study the Buddha's teachings regularly, and keep practicing and learning from others.

Shi and the Shaolin cultural delegation will give a kung fu demonstration in Los Angeles on Oct 12.

Shaolin abbot gives talk at Harvard
    By Lin Liyao
    China.org.cn, October 10, 2013

Shi Yongxin gives a speech at the Memorial Church in Harvard University. [Shaolin.org.cn]

The abbot of Shaolin Temple, Shi Yongxin, gave a speech at the Memorial Church in Harvard University on October 8.

As a warm-up activity for the first North American Shaolin Kung Fu Cultural Festival, the speech was entitled "The Practical Wisdom and Spiritual Cultivation of Buddhism".

During the 3,000-word speech, the abbot explained doctrines and values of Buddhism and introduced culture of Shaolin Kung Fu.

The speech mentioned that "the fundamental aim of Buddhism is to spiritualize the mind and seek wisdom", and he also talked about "the cultivation dharma-mukha and practice content of Buddhism"; "the core of Mahayana -- Zen Buddhism", and "Shaolin Kung Fu as the unity of Zen and Martial Arts".

After visiting Harvard University, Shi Yongxin and the Shaolin cultural delegation members will also visit the headquarters of the United Nations in New York, and hold a Kung Fu Contest in Los Angeles.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hello ???

Is everone so overwhelmed, that he/she can't utter a word or a video-clip about the festival ????

Sorry, I took yesterday off

Here's the first of a few vids we plan to post on our YouTube Channel: Shaolin Warrior Monks at UCLA. It was a short, impromptu demo, done right after the Art of Shaolin Philosophy presentation at UCLA. More to come.

The event was extraordinary. It was so great to see so many old friends, many monks and Shaolin practitioners that I've known for nearly twenty years, and make so many new friends. I was very humbled to receive so much praise for our work from the Shaolin community. I'll fill in more later, because after four days away from the office, I have a heap of work to catch up (no rest for the wicked ).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A little more in the news

Shaolin kung fu diplomacy
    Updated: 2013-10-12 09:41
    By Hu Haidan at the United Nations (China Daily)

Monks from the Shaolin Temple perform kung fu at the United Nations headquarters during the 2013 Shaolin Temple Cultural Festival. Hu Haidan / China Daily
    Shi Yongxin, the 30th-generation abbot of the legendary Shaolin Temple, led a cultural delegation to perform kung fu at the United Nations headquarters on Oct 9.
    Performing traditional Chinese martial arts moves, the 18-member group wowed the audience, many of whom said they had never seen such feats before.
    Shi introduced the Shaolin culture, saying Shaolin kung fu provides a ready way of sharing the wisdom of Buddhism and Shaolin's contribution to the peace and health of mankind.
    He said that the Shaolin Temple, which was founded during the Northern Wei Dynasty (AD 386-534) and is the birthplace of Shaolin martial arts and Zen Buddhism Shaolin kung fu, was legendary around the world.
    Steve Orlins, president of the National Committee on US-China Relations attended the event.
    Orlins said sports and cultural exchanges play an important role in US-China relations.
    He recalled the legacy of "ping-pong diplomacy", and said he believed that exchanges like the Shaolin delegation's visit would strengthen the friendship between the two countries.
    The appearance was co-hosted by the American-China Sports Association and Union National Culture & Sports Foundation.
    Chen Ping, chairwoman of ACSA, said she views Shaolin kung fu as a holy and sacred tradition.
    "The success of tonight's event inspires us to develop sports and cultural exchanges with confidence and determination," she said. "We will continue our efforts to make a difference."
    Since Shi took office, he has continually promoted Shaolin martial arts and the Shaolin Temple in general. Shi and Shaolin Buddhist monks have visited many countries and regions including Japan, South Korea, the US and Russia to spread Chinese traditional culture to promote friendship and understanding among foreign cultures.
    The essence of Shaolin kung fu is the unity of Zen, which focuses on the combination of chan (mind) and kung fu(body).
    The performance at the UN was part of the 2013 Shaolin Temple Cultural Festival.
    As part of the festival, Shi gave a speech at the Memorial Church at Harvard University on Oct 8, where he described the fundamental aim of Buddhism which is to spiritualize the mind, seek wisdom, reflect on your motivations, live a simpler, healthier lifestyle, study the Buddha's teachings regularly, and keep practicing and learning from others.
    Shi and the Shaolin cultural delegation will give a kung fu demonstration in Los Angeles on Oct 12.
    The UN & Harvard visits were just the warm up act.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The first batch of photos are posted

See the album on our official facebook page. I'll be adding pix throughout the week.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thaaanks!

Nice kungfu and a great 2x1Finger-Stand ! And seeing Shi Yanzhuang teaching is always a kick in the ... - i wonder, if everbody there knew what honour he/she enjoys - Some of the photographies show very well his calm and clear way of teaching - harrrrrrrr ....

aw shucks

I left too early. How did I miss getting into this photo?

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I left too early. How did I miss getting into this photo?

ha! nice

shaolin rasta getting his mabu on

Nice one, wenshu

How about the monks with Chris Tucker?

And a true blind master!

And Iron Man busts a move with some kids!

****, I totally missed the Shaolin LA pose fest. I only got to pose with this rock star here:

BTW, we posted more pix on our fb album. Thanks for the 'likes'. We'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

One more thing for today

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another video

Shaolin Temple Cultural Festival Highlights

Plus I just posted another 60 pix on our fb album.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another 60 pix posted

And another vid: Shaolin Warrior Monks Weapons Demo

I liked the Huike Dao @ 3:15, not so much because it was a good form but because it was novel storytelling.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips