Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bridges

Blog Entries
    Since we are discussing "bridges", I would like to ask a related question here. Someone told me that if I punch with my

- "right" fist, my opponent should use his "left" Bong Shou to block.
    - "left" fist, my opponent should use his "right" Bong Shou to block.

When I learned WC, I didn't learn this guideline but it makes sense to me. Today I met a WC teacher. He asked me to punch him, I punched my "right" fist. He used his "right" Bong Shou to block it.

Is that correct in your opinion?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-31-2013 at 04:32 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

2. Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Since we are discussing "bridges", I would like to ask a related question here. Someone told me that if I punch with my

- "right" fist, my opponent should use his "left" Bong Shou to block.
    - "left" fist, my opponent should use his "right" Bong Shou to block.

When I learned WC, I didn't learn this guideline but it makes sense to me. Today I met a WC teacher. He asked me to punch him, I punched my "right" fist. He used his "right" Bong Shou to block it.

Is that correct in your opinion?
    Bong sao happen than disappears, it's not a block you should think about... It's not a block anyway.

Never throw a bong sao against a fist, it's not it's use.
    "Deepest depth, Where one live with no light, No evil can escape my sticky tentacle, Beware the radiant octopus might !"

www.poulperadieux.com

Thanks Jackie,
    And thanks Kevin for the well thought out response. I was expecting
    a comment on the WSL video that had a "high" in your estimation setting, and all you could come up with was a slam on Godwin? It appears insults are the only refuge for those without an answer. I will restate. If Godwin's jong is set too high then is not WSL's in his video? It is a simple question. I am looking for an honest answer. I have the utmost respect for WSL and am not interested in trading insults.

Quote Originally Posted by sehing2 View Post
    Thanks Jackie,
    And thanks Kevin for the well thought out response. I was expecting
    a comment on the WSL video that had a "high" in your estimation setting, and all you could come up with was a slam on Godwin? It appears insults are the only refuge for those without an answer. I will restate. If Godwin's jong is set too high then is not WSL's in his video? It is a simple question. I am looking for an honest answer. I have the utmost respect for WSL and am not interested in trading insults.
    Yeah Godwin , really dude ? Awful.

Quote Originally Posted by sehing2 View Post
    Since there are a number of lineages represented here, do any recognize different bridge lengths. Long bridge, short bridge, etc.? And if so are there unique qualities, strategies, training methods for each? Thanks in advance.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    a bridge and bridging can be two different things. In the skeletal structure a bridge can be "kiU"
    the part of the forearm after the knob just past the wrist to the beginning of main forearm muscles
    Kiu/bridge is more of a descriptive noun. Bridging is an active verb-lots of motions can be bridges.
    Very close quarters punches can involve short power and a short bridge. A third form fak sao can be a long bridge.Variations of short and long bridges are there in a good wing chun arsenal.
    How and when you use them depends on distance angle, timing and openings.

Thanks, Joy.....

In HFY, we have long, medium and short range 'bridging' technologies for engagement. We also have various dummy forms for developing the tools and leverage/facing concepts for each.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

I have read some HFY material. I suspected that would be the case. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poulperadieux View Post
    Bong sao happen than disappears, it's not a block you should think about... It's not a block anyway.

Never throw a bong sao against a fist, it's not it's use.
    Bong not for a fist ?! Lmfao.

Last time I looked my arm was still the same length using fac, bong, jum, tan , I know the master of almightybollox can stretch his bridge , but that is LT bs.
    All arm actions are the same intercepting angles if you understand the elbow concept, even fac, fac just leads off body but the elbow is tucked in for the same reasons as all the rest, INTERCEPTION.
    To even imply that one can think fast enough to change bridge lengths while fighting is nerdy.
    At fighting speeds we try to not think about variations so we can attack without thinking. The centered elbow concept addresses this. Lin sil di da.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 03-31-2013 at 09:02 PM.

11. Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Last time I looked my arm was still the same length using fac, bong, jum, tan , I know the master of almightybollox can stretch his bridge , but that is LT bs.
    All arm actions are the same intercepting angles if you understand the elbow concept, even fac, fac just leads off body but the elbow is tucked in for the same reasons as all the rest, INTERCEPTION.
    To even imply that one can think fast enough to change bridge lengths while fighting is nerdy.
    At fighting speeds we try to not think about variations so we can attack without thinking. The centered elbow concept addresses this. Lin sil di da.

You can't stretch your arm? really? Nobody taught you? It's the basic of basics in biu jee though, in the second move.

Yeah Fighting fighting fighting...

Aren't you tired of fighting during training, and aim for actual fights outisde your kwoon?

There's no fighting videos on your website, go see this website :

http://www.ecolebase.com/

A french WSL inspired School, with titles, medals.

And guess what, they are cool, friendly, open. the best place I visited in Paris, they barely asked who I was, and after a few minutes, they gave me the best students to train with.

These guys are great, maybe because they do sports also, martial arts turns minds upside down, ang give rabbit legs.
    "Deepest depth, Where one live with no light, No evil can escape my sticky tentacle, Beware the radiant octopus might !"

www.poulperadieux.com

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    All arm actions are the same intercepting angles if you understand the elbow concept, even fac, fac just leads off body but the elbow is tucked in for the same reasons as all the rest, INTERCEPTION. To even imply that one can think fast enough to change bridge lengths while fighting is nerdy.At fighting speeds we try to not think about variations so we can attack without thinking. The centered elbow concept addresses this. Lin sil di da.
    You don't 'think about variations', the bridging is dependent on how you and your oppoent engage. It just happens.

Does this mean you don't have long and short bridge work in PB's interpretation of WSL's VT?

Long and short bridges use slightly different mechanics to generate power. Long bridge tends to utilize more the movement of the shoulder... while short bridge utilizes more the elbow. All the forms contain long and short bridge techniques, but the Biu Tse form we were chatting about in another tread has more of a focus on long bridge work.

The wiggling fingers/hand we were discussing earlier (Saam You Sau) is connected to this long bridge work, as it helps with this type of bridge force (Cheung Kiu Faat).
    Different lineage place an emphasis on different things, for sure. For example, Duncan Leung's group have a much heavier focus on long bridge work. I don't think that is because Yip Man told him to put more emphasis there, but more that long bridge work was what he preferred (over a focus on short bridge).

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill
    As said before, just because it seems you don't have something from PB's system, it hardly means that if someone else has something then what they have is BS. What PB teaches looks really good, but it also sounds like it is itself a stripped down version of WSL's system.

You already pretty much admitted that you don't have any work that is about the tendons and ligaments, and also that your BT form doesn't have different power generation methods than your CK form.

I'm not critiquing you for this - just saying you should be a little more open-minded about WT/WC/VT, etc.

Just take a look at outside of the YM line. What do they have and why?

Think about who YM trained with - and what it may very well have led to. What did those guys have, and why?

Think about why YM taught in HK - and why as a result he might not have just given out everything to every body who walked through the door.

Think about how it seems he often gave students what he thought they wanted.

Heck, think about other southern systems - they often share similar characteristics to Wing Chun... what do they have and why.

Again - Yip Man didn't learn in a vacuum. You don't have to either, Kevin.
    No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

Okay I shall start extending my arm and wiggling my fingers so the tendons and ligaments get a workout ; ). April fool !!! Gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Okay I shall start extending my arm and wiggling my fingers so the tendons and ligaments get a workout ; ). April fool !!! Gotcha.
    Well, that would be the very start of things... but you have to start somewhere, Kevin.

Of course, you could also just sit back and have a think about what some are saying...

I wonder if YM was in Dai Duk Lan and said to the others, "I never learned any of this, so what you are doing is BS."

No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post
    Well, that would be the very start of things... but you have to start somewhere, Kevin.

Of course, you could also just sit back and have a think about what some are saying...

I wonder if YM was in Dai Duk Lan and said to the others, "I never learned any of this, so what you are doing is BS."

I shall henceforth treat bil gee as a whirlpool of magical energy and my special place like you ; ) April fools again !! Is that allowed ; )