Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Bit Confused

A lot of chi sao is redundant in actual fighting.
    Chi sao gives us many attributes but we need to literally " step away " in different directions so the facing and arm skills are used when engaging a " moving target " capable of erratic movement ... Not just ygkym and rolling arm combat.
    Certain arm angles are developed for maintaining their integrity when making sudden impact. Bong sao is "developed" in chi sao along with other drills but the redundant factor is a bong doesn't have to seek contact to be created. It can be as chum kil , a combination of dynamics involving timing to harness forces capable of creating opportunities to lat sao jik chun. Whole body lsjc.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Someone told me that if I punch with my

- "right" fist, my opponent should use his "left" Bong Shou to block it.
    - "left" fist, my opponent should use his "right" Bong Shou to block it.

When I learned WC, I didn't learn this guideline but it makes sense to me. Today I met a WC teacher. He asked me to punch him, I punched my "right" fist. He used his "right" Bong Shou to block it.

I'm a bit confused. Is it correct in your opinion?
    This can be argued back and forth forever, but the fact is you are right to be confused. Was this one of the students or sifu that showed you this? Bong sao is like when someone goes for your crotch. You jerk your butt back and bring in your knees in an effort to prevent contact. A knee jerk movement really. Bong is used in an emergency when you are out of position or in an awkward position and can not recover in time to do a proper defense. A cross bong like that only leaves your entire side open to attack. It looks good used with other techniques when training, but in an all out fight it will get the $hit knocked out of you. If you only have one arm, then yea, go ahead and cross bong if you absolutely have to. Otherwise, keep it as something you can use in an emergency and not as a primary defense action.
    Jackie Lee

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Was this one of the students or sifu that showed you this?
    He is a quite famous TCMA Sifu. Since his students were with him, when he said, "punch me", I knew he was going to use me as his demo dummy, and performed some skill infront of his students. What he didn't know was, there is no way that I would put myself into that situation. He needed to protect his face infront of his students, but I needed to protect my face infront of his students too. I'm quite pleased with the peaceful ending that I had intentionally created. Nobody got hurt or losed face.

It's quite difficult to deal with the situation when someone that you just meet the 1st time, and that person asked, "punch me".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-03-2013 at 12:03 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument