Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bridges

Bridges

Since there are a number of lineages represented here, do any recognize different bridge lengths. Long bridge, short bridge, etc.? And if so are there unique qualities, strategies, training methods for each? Thanks in advance.

2. "Deepest depth, Where one live with no light, No evil can escape my sticky tentacle, Beware the radiant octopus might !"

www.poulperadieux.com

After viewing that Godwin video posted by "Doc Oct" (check out the Doctor Octopus image below)...

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...1-doc_ock2.jpg

...My reaction was that people certainly seem to over-complicate things. To my way of thinking, you should be comfortable at both short and long ranges. Personally, I used to overly favor shorter bridges in chi-sau. One of my seniors suggested that I deliberately work the opposite for a while. I found that difficult, and ultimately quite helpful.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

4. Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    After viewing that Godwin video posted by "Doc Oct":

...My reaction was that people certainly seem to over-complicate things. To my way of thinking, you should be comfortable at both short and long ranges. Personally, I used to overly favor shorter bridges in chi-sau. One of my seniors suggested that I deliberately work the opposite for a while. I found that difficult, and ultimately quite helpful.

Doc Oct ! Kinda like that!

For Godwin, you SHOULD be unconfortable, so you train muscles, tendons, joints.
    He's got a lot of variations of training the mook jong to cultivate some abilities so you are confortable in a fight, like in a chair.

NB :

Poulpe Radieux means : Radiant Octopus in English.
    "Deepest depth, Where one live with no light, No evil can escape my sticky tentacle, Beware the radiant octopus might !"

www.poulperadieux.com

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    After viewing that Godwin video posted by "Doc Oct" (check out the Doctor Octopus image below)...

OK. So your lineage does recognize different bridges. In that case then, the video posted simply does what you suggested that you did in chi sao. May I ask your lineage? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sehing2 View Post
    OK. So your lineage does recognize different bridges. In that case then, the video posted simply does what you suggested that you did in chi sao. May I ask your lineage? Thanks.
    Lineage? Sure. I've trained with a couple of groups, but primarily "WT". My Sifu from 1980 to about 1992 was Leung Ting. And just to be clear, I was never taught separate drills, or to change the dummy height, etc. for each bridge length. We just varied our training to develop different attributes.

...For example, I found that too much short-bridge work in chi-sau fed into my natural tendency to be a bit heavy and forceful in my movements. Long bridge chi-sau forced my to relax my shoulders more (or else get exhausted) and helped me extend my force forward, improving my arm flexibility and what, in the WT branch, we called "springy-energy".
    Last edited by Grumblegeezer; 03-31-2013 at 10:29 AM.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

OK.....Thanks

8. Quote Originally Posted by sehing2 View Post
    Depends what I work in chi sao, bridge structure or something else.

I've got no lineage, I'm a Vagabond, I wander from places to places.
    Find Godwin work intersting through.

I ocasionnaly refer to the Chthulhu cult.
    "Deepest depth, Where one live with no light, No evil can escape my sticky tentacle, Beware the radiant octopus might !"

www.poulperadieux.com

One idea runs continuously throughout the system, low centerlined elbows. If the elbow has to repeatedly lift up and down to a dummy arm set too high it can ruin the idea of SLT. A predominant factor in drills and dummy is to work with low elbows on the transverse plane. A raised elbow or " long bridge " aka a long lever is easier to displace using simultaneous striking/deflecting actions.. Tan/jum elbow is a very strong angle when used so the elbow maintains a connection to the body.... Low.
    Deliberately placing a dummy so the upper arms are higher than upperchest sternum will create lifting elbows and long levers as a bad habit.
    Godwins dummy is awful. Leaning vertical power line , no body momentum, no hip elbow unity, no shock force. He may talk the talk but he is not walking it .

10. Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Godwins dummy is awful. Leaning vertical power line , no body momentum, no hip elbow unity, no shock force. He may talk the talk but he is not walking it .
    Should meet someone from leung sheun lineage if you want to understand what they do.

I thought the same thing as you so I understand your point.

www.poulperadieux.com

Deliberately placing a dummy so the upper arms are higher than upperchest sternum will create lifting elbows and long levers as a bad habit.

Thanks. While I certainly agree with the idea of low elbows and connection, the video below of WSL creates a " problem" with the dummy being set too high when it is" higher than upper chest" level. I do agree however that most videos on youtube have the dummy set too high. Just not in these two cases (Godwin and WSL).

So to be clear, you do not recognize different bridges? Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wPdl-mGKL-Y

Quote Originally Posted by sehing2 View Post

Thanks. While I certainly agree with the idea of low elbows and connection, the video below of WSL creates a " problem" with the dummy being set too high when it is" higher than upper chest" level. I do agree however that most videos on youtube have the dummy set too high. Just not in these two cases (Godwin and WSL).

So to be clear, you do not recognize different bridges? Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wPdl-mGKL-Y
    Godwin isn't worth remarking on , crap.

13. Quote Originally Posted by sehing2 View Post

When he started thai boxing, his teacher introduced him to the shoulder guard, so the wing chun geek guy said :"but it's bad for the connexion".

He answered : "Et ta connerie, elle est aussi connectée?"

www.poulperadieux.com

14. Talking

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Godwin isn't worth remarking on , crap.
    "Philipp Bayer's skills and clear unambiguous execution of VT fighting illuminated the path that he needed to take in order to further develop himself and guide his student's development. K Gledhill has subscribed to his mentorship ever since."

I wasn't sure about the goat blood remarks, now it seems quite plausible...

These PB students, so luminous they are, on their paths !
    Powerful mentors they have.

www.poulperadieux.com

I was taught that chi sao was only a training drill and not some sort of playful competition. I was advised to use it as a simple drill and not to get involved in the game because it would create serious boundries for me. So I never got into playing chi sao. I am glad too because I have never met anyone trained that way. So then a bridge is a bridge. The most important thing is to be able to take advantage of that bridge as it is not something that lasts more than a few seconds at best.
    When the average Joe fights, it is like dancing. He has a little circle around him that is determined as his personal space. He does his best fighting when his target is just at the outer edge of his personal space. When you are able to make that bridge you get inside his personal space which smothers his ability to perform efficiently. If you can take away his balance, you take away his fight. That is difficult at best when you are outside his circle of personal space.
    Jackie Lee