Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Bit Confused

Blog Entries

A Bit Confused

Someone told me that if I punch with my

- "right" fist, my opponent should use his "left" Bong Shou to block it.
    - "left" fist, my opponent should use his "right" Bong Shou to block it.

When I learned WC, I didn't learn this guideline but it makes sense to me. Today I met a WC teacher. He asked me to punch him, I punched my "right" fist. He used his "right" Bong Shou to block it.

I'm a bit confused. Is it correct in your opinion?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-31-2013 at 07:44 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Experiment with it. But I think you will find it is a bit awkward. I rarely use bong against a punch that is thrown before engagement.

Using a right bong-sau against a right punch would be considered a 'wrong bong' because you've crossed yourself and left openings on your blindside. The dummy set gives recovery options for such a situation however.

I think that's the point. Where I come from though, both are wrong! Bong-sau shouldn't even be used to block a single punch you know is coming. It's a purely defensive action. You need another step to return fire, but it may be too late if more punches are coming down on you.

Bong sao is part of an attack. Many assume it to be a defensive action from misinformed coaching.
    Bong sao is always accompanied with wu sao , wu is a new attack.
    Accidents happen, we make mistakes. A wrong bong or wrong jum, wrong Pak all happen. It's part of the mindset to recover from these errors. Equally we also learn to attack defensive errors so that partners don't hesitate stop and think they have to be perfect. ; ) in mutual drilling we make mistakes so they are treated as opportunities to attack and recover From.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Someone told me that if I punch with my

- "right" fist, my opponent should use his "left" Bong Shou to block it.
    - "left" fist, my opponent should use his "right" Bong Shou to block it.

When I learned WC, I didn't learn this guideline but it makes sense to me. Today I met a WC teacher. He asked me to punch him, I punched my "right" fist. He used his "right" Bong Shou to block it.

I'm a bit confused. Is it correct in your opinion?
    There are many ways to recover from errors. No dogma.

Quote Originally Posted by sehing2 View Post
    Experiment with it. But I think you will find it is a bit awkward. I rarely use bong against a punch that is thrown before engagement.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

A good answer. You know who is indeed confused. Wing chun IMO is not about having single fixed response toa single technique.

If you didn't get hit, you did it right enough.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    I disagree. Many things can be pulled of when you know whats coming, that doesnt mean its the right response to learn

Quote Originally Posted by jesper View Post
    I disagree. Many things can be pulled of when you know whats coming, that doesnt mean its the right response to learn
    True ...... Concepts are a broader approach to war. Nobody knows what is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Yes .........

Bong sau, conceptually, should always be "created" by the incoming force once contact is already made. It 'could' be created by a right arm to right arm force but that most likely would be the result of improper facing. Nonetheless, the scenario you described sounds like nothing more than chasing, poorly at that...

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    Bong sau, conceptually, should always be "created" by the incoming force once contact is already made. It 'could' be created by a right arm to right arm force but that most likely would be the result of improper facing. Nonetheless, the scenario you described sounds like nothing more than chasing, poorly at that...
    Not true, the spatial relationship and tactical goal can lead us to bong well before pre contact you mention.
    If an arm x mine from above as I attack I use bong sao with ging lik to slap arms away.
    Contact is measured in milliseconds not by misguided perpetual arm pressure seekers aka chasers.
    Like chum kil we make bongs in space and time to match our body weight in motion, to harness momentum in a kinetic release to coincide with bong/ wu moment.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 04-01-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Not true, the spatial relationship and tactical goal can lead us to bong well before pre contact you mention.
    If an arm x mine from above as I attack I use bong sao with ging lik to slap arms away.
    Contact is measured in milliseconds not by misguided perpetual arm pressure seekers aka chasers .
    Both the definition of arm chasing and a good way to get hit you described there. If trained correctly with body unity one can measure contact in milliseconds with pressure. My goal is to kill the opponent directly and head on. My "technique" or response, so to speak, is only the result of the opponent trying to "move" that attack, hence force, pressure, whatever. I don't care if I get hit and if I do it's because of bad timing on my part. I play my game, not his. WC "positions" are not applications but potential responses. Why chi sao as the pinnacle drill if this wasn't true?

It doesn't really matter.

It all depends on how you would like to counter it. If you would want to come around to the outside gate, right on right would be best. If you want to hit on the inside, right on left and vice versa. If you want to follow up with a lap sau, once again, it doesn't matter which side you bong sau!

But, as others said, bong sau isn't really supposed to be a movement that you should go to first. It should only made when pressure is put on the outside of an extended hand which then collapses into bong sau. "Elbow like iron, Arm like a blade of grass."

The important things are to keep proper structure, constant attack on the centerline, and to NOT chase the hand.
    Last edited by BlackEChan; 04-01-2013 at 05:15 PM.
    "He who say's does not know, he who knows does not say"

"True Gong Fu is practicing in the coldest days of winter and the dog days of summer"

"Don't try, do"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SKM View Post
    Did the net effect of what your opponent did, put him inside of your bridge?
    Not sure I should go into more detail about what had happened after that. It had proved my belief, but it may conflict with other's belief.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-01-2013 at 05:40 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument