Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Su Da or TuanTa Form ?

The Su Da or TuanTa Form ?

Does anybody know if there are versions of the Su Da or Tuan Ta form in Southern Styles of Kung Fu ? I know there is a Su Da form in Cho Family Wing Chun but what about other Southern styles of Kung Fu ?

I believe Bak Sil Lum has duan da as one of the 10 core forms, I'm not sure if thats the same form name your using, also BSL would be a Northern system.. albeit practiced in Southern areas.

Yes that is the same form . I was just wondering if there was any other southern styles of Kung Fu that had it . I have a book on Bak Northern Shaolin by Sifu Lai Hung it Has the Tuan Ta or Duan Da form in the book .

Duan Da and Tun Ta of Baksillum are not the same form.

Duan Da is northern Shaolin, but not the same as the #6 Tun Ta (short strike) form from bak sil lum style of gu ru zhang.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Now I am Confused ?

Duan Da is a form that is within the sets of the modern (Song Shan) shaolin curriculum. I believe. As I do not practice that style I am not 100% certain if it is a core set. but I know it's from modern shaolin and not from the bsl that is more well known as Northern Shaolin in America and Canada.

Tun Ta or short strike is the 6th set from the curriculum of Bak Sil Lum as propagated by Ku yu cheung (Gu ru-zhang) in the early to middle 1900's.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 01-11-2010 at 12:12 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I think those are the same in Chinese

They might be different forms, but I think it's the same Chinese characters (短打) Duan Da in pinyin, Tun Da in colloquial romanization of Cantonese.

See BSL Lyrics: Shaolin #6 (The short strike) for the BSL version.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

There's more than one Shaolin Duan Da.

There's a series of Duan Da sets that are mentioned in some Shaolin manuals that are from the 1600s (which were mentioned in the Shaolin Monastery book). These were very important sets during that time period

There's a Duan Da set that they practice now, it might be related to the old Duan da set but I'm haven't looked into it.

There's a Luohan Duan Da set that kinda old.

Then, there is the Duan Da style that is really another name for the Mian Chang, Cotten Palm style.

Then there is the Duan Da set from Bak Si Lum style from Shandong province.
    One of the Shaolin Kan Jia Quan sets is named this too, a style which some think is original root of the Bak Si Lum sets.
    My Martial Arts articles archive:

http://www.bgtent.com/naturalcma/index.htm

Shaolin Qigong / Neigong Healing & Self Defense Programs and Seminars:

http://www.jindaolife.com
    http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchool/index.html

Qigong Program: http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchool/QigongProgram.htm
    Chinese Martial Art Program: http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchoo...ArtProgram.htm

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    They might be different forms, but I think it's the same Chinese characters (短打) Duan Da in pinyin, Tun Da in colloquial romanization of Cantonese.

See BSL Lyrics: Shaolin #6 (The short strike) for the BSL version.
    cool. Yes they most definitely are different forms. the first time i saw that spelling i grabbed a copy of the pdf manual for it and was perplexed to find an entirely different set from that of BSL.

But now that Sal points out there are several sets that carry this moniker, I am inclined to go with the idea of duan da/tun ta, being more of a conceptual name as opposed to the actual pattern and techniques within.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Duan da is a common term

Duan mean short. Da means strike or hit, like in sanda or tiedajiao (dit da jow). So you can imagine why its a ubiquitous name for a form. As a term, it's almost the polar opposite of changquan.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Duan mean short. Da means strike or hit, like in sanda or tiedajiao (dit da jow). So you can imagine why its a ubiquitous name for a form. As a term, it's almost the polar opposite of changquan.
    In context to the duan system, as in levels of accomplishment, I guess it's a different ideogram?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Different character entirely

The duan rank character is 段.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

SevenStar

Hmm, that form you posted reminds me faintly of an elongated Wubuquan that we used to propound at OMei. That was released on DVD. I wonder...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

What would be Su Da in Mandarin ? Also Duan Da sets in Wing Chun ? Cho Family is this the same as Chu Familiy from Hong Kong ?

I am used to the Yip Man Family interpretation of Siu Nim Tao,Chum Kiu, Biu Jee, those versions of San Sik and that stuff of Yuen Kay San, Yiu Choi, Pien San and stuff.
    Or also those of Eternal spring with the Sap Yat Kuen, Saam Pai Fut, Chong Kuen and the Fa Kuen System from Chu Family, but those forms you speak of is the first time I hear from. Can you explain a little bit more on it ?

Best regards,
    Xian