菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    We stand like WSL does here at 19:32:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1DQvDmZ6BU
    WSL is showing something not doing a form. According to PB he would always be correcting peoples foot position. PB does it. I do it. We all do it.

I find your system of Wing Chun very bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    WSL is showing something not doing a form. According to PB he would always be correcting peoples foot position. PB does it. I do it. We all do it.

Having studied different "versions" of Wing Chun over 43 years, I don't.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Hey Phil! Great site! Used to run down to Hermosa Beach when I lived in Culver City, 1974-6. Nice. Have seen common practice of feet straight for SLT as well as toes in, notice your position of knees is very WC and not wide stance TCMA in general. Mostly WC is known for the shallow stance as opposed to wide in Northern styles. Looks like you're on a roll out West. Cheers!

PB showed me why to turn toes in and literally grabbed my legs/ knees/ feet and hand placed them in the obtuse triangulation of the chum kil.
    It's easy to ignore and jump around until you know why. : )

PB showed me why to turn toes in and literally grabbed my legs/ knees/ feet and hand placed them in the obtuse triangulation of the chum kil.
    Direct contact with the WC messiah from Germany. Wow.

It's easy to ignore and jump around until you know why. : )
    OK, I'll bite. Why?
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Ha ha! That has got to be one of the funniest things I've heard for ages. LMFAO

I know. What a foreign concept that must be to some of you.

Actually training in positions which are the same as what the application would be instead of standing in a position that has absolutely nothing to do with the application and would get a person knocked on his butt.

Nice site. I gotta admit that I bought "The Yellow Emperor's Classic" on the recommendation of the old site. Glad to see the 5 element stuff is still on there. I often go back to the site to re-read that stuff.

in regards to the stance in TWC, is it similar to the "Wuji" posture (which i believe is seen in tai chi and some chi kung and probably many other systems) which has the toes slightly inwards though not expressed as obviously?
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Having studied different "versions" of Wing Chun over 43 years, I don't.
    We are not all attracted to the same woman!

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    I know. What a foreign concept that must be to some of you.

Actually training in positions which are the same as what the application would be instead of standing in a position that has absolutely nothing to do with the application and would get a person knocked on his butt.
    yeah yeah whatever. you know best NOT!

The WSL stance seems a bit wider than ours (generally speaking), though I see the toes/foot turned in. With the wider stance you use, do you still get the adduction with the knees? (as the knees are pretty far apart)

Or do you not place particular emphasis on this?
    No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post
    The WSL stance seems a bit wider than ours (generally speaking), though I see the toes/foot turned in. With the wider stance you use, do you still get the adduction with the knees? (as the knees are pretty far apart)

Or do you not place particular emphasis on this?
    In SLT YJKYM is a training stance not a fighting stance. We encourage the stance to be a little wider and deeper to put more stress on the legs during the form. The stance during sparring is dependent on the practitioner. We use a stance that is natural so we can maintain good structure and still be mobile and keep good balance. There is no set position albeit the feet must be turned in, the knees in and the waist pushed forward to bring the upper and lower parts of the body together. This allows us to move as one complete unit. Varying heights and limb lengths dictate the stance position. We don't encourage unnatural positions once the stance has been developed. It's illogical.
    Some systems of Wing Chun encourage some very strange stances which reduce the ability to move properly, make quick adjustments and react without making big changes in position.

Our stance is more akin to a Boxers stance rather than the likes of YKSWC which looks like they have been in a car crash.

In SLT YJKYM is a training stance not a fighting stance. We encourage the stance to be a little wider and deeper to put more stress on the legs during the form. The stance during sparring is dependent on the practitioner. We use a stance that is natural so we can maintain good structure and still be mobile and keep good balance. There is no set position albeit the feet must be turned in, the knees in and the waist pushed forward to bring the upper and lower parts of the body together. This allows us to move as one complete unit. Varying heights and limb lengths dictate the stance position. We don't encourage unnatural positions once the stance has been developed. It's illogical. Some systems of Wing Chun encourage some very strange stances which reduce the ability to move properly, make quick adjustments and react without making big changes in position.
    Okay, thanks for the info. That's what I thought, more like a boxer's stance.

Our stance is more akin to a Boxers stance rather than the likes of YKSWC which looks like they have been in a car crash.
    Yes, the YKSWC stance has very pronounced sinking and adducting. But they have good reasons for it, I think. And they move well within the stance (fast and variable positions) - a very tight unit.

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post

Yes, the YKSWC stance has very pronounced sinking and adducting. But they have good reasons for it, I think. And they move well within the stance (fast and variable positions) - a very tight unit.
    From what I have witnessed of YKS they spend a lot of time in this very deep stance but the more they free things up their stance rises and becomes more in line with ours. My thinking on that is obviously humans cannot fight properly adopting such low clamped in stances. Only good for controlled situations and forms. Humans have evolved to be upright for a good reason. We position our limbs correctly in order to develop a good support base and then slight lower our center of gravity. This is enough for fighting.

If these deep stances were so effective then boxers would have adopted it years ago. Boxers realize that in order to move freely, keep balance and deliver power we need a certain stance. The YKS is not it IMO.

Bruce Lee also criticized deep kung fu stances.

From what I have witnessed of YKS they spend a lot of time in this very deep stance but the more they free things up their stance rises and becomes more in line with ours. My thinking on that is obviously humans cannot fight properly adopting such low clamped in stances. Only good for controlled situations and forms. Humans have evolved to be upright for a good reason. We position our limbs correctly in order to develop a good support base and then slight lower our center of gravity. This is enough for fighting.
    I agree.... kinda. I saw this a lot in Xing Yi, where the stance requirements were very strict. When you saw very skilled people performing it looked as though they weren't always sticking to those requirements, but this is misleading. From years and years of stance training they could activate the requirements even if not in outward appearance. It was ingrained in what they did. But of course, to get to that level you need a great deal of training.

If these deep stances were so effective then boxers would have adopted it years ago. Boxers realize that in order to move freely, keep balance and deliver power we need a certain stance. The YKS is not it IMO. Bruce Lee also criticized deep kung fu stances.
    I hear what you're saying - though the YKS Wing Chun doesn't seem to me to have really wide and deep stances, more mid-to-narrow stances that are deep (very sunk, very strong knee-clamping - for want of a better expression). For boxers, well, boxers need a stance and method of moving that works well for boxing.

Add in grappling and the stance and movement might be different, adding in kicking and kneeing and again the stance and movement might be different. Add in a weapon... etc, etc.

Regarding Bruce Lee.... well, he had his own way Right or wrong... Enter the Dragon is still Kung-Fu-Movie-Cool.