I think everyone should know some martial arts, DJ, but I'm biased here, of course. I also think everyone should know basic first aid. Why aren't these aren't taught in middle school like Algebra? I've almost never had the opportunity to apply Algebra in the real world.
Martial art expert Yajness wants to train students in self-defence
TNN | Jul 16, 2014, 05.35 AM IST

MANGALORE: After the brutal gang rape of Nirbhaya that shook the entire nation, several state governments and the Union government came up with measures to ensure women's safety. However, women in the country still feel unsafe and many of them have taken to martial arts to be ready to defend themselves in dire situations. Lending them a helping hand is Chitah Yajness Shetty, who has trained over two lakh women in martial arts across India.

He said that he wants to start martial arts training programmes in schools and colleges in the coastal city.

"I have already spoken to several schools in Mangalore and many of them have agreed to commence martial arts training programmes. If everything goes as per plan, courses will be introduced in schools in the next academic year," Shetty told TOI.

"The Nirbhaya incident was a wake-up call to women. After that they have started taking martial arts seriously. I have so far trained two lakh women under the Nirbhaya Women Empowerment Training Programme. I am also training underprivileged children in martial arts," said Shetty who has trained several Bollywood actors including Dilip Kumar and Karishma Kapoor.

Honouring his services International Martial Arts Council of America Board of Directors has conferred him with the 2014 United States Martial Arts Hall Of Fame Award.

He is also the recipient of the Most Valuable 2014 Jeet Kune Do Instructor Award.

He was presented with the award at a ceremony held in the US.