Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What will you do?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    This person was in your lineage?
    We trained in complete different system. When I said "same generation", I mean we have similiar age. We both came from the "old school". When we talked about someone, He would say, "I'll send my students to fight him, I then fight him myself." I love his attitude. People in the modern generation just don't talk like that.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-03-2013 at 03:08 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    When sparring, I like to strike the ribs or chest and remind my opponent that it could have been a stab and not a punch.
    I don't like to punch at my opponent chest for the following reason.

- My opponent raises his right leading arm and exposes his chest.
    - I punch at his chest.
    - He dropped his right elbow on top of my arm, and
    - poked his right hand fingers at my eyes.

I may be able to dodge his eyes poking, but I may not be able to dodge his groin kick. I like to be "on top and inside". I don't like to put my arm below my opponent's arm (under hook and waist control are exceptions).
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-03-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This was exactly happened (since my memory is still fresh):

- I used right punch at his face.
    - He blocked it with his right Bon Shou.
    - My left hand pushed his right elbow up, and my right hand pressed his right wrist down.
    - He "tried" to drop his right elbow down into Tan Shou (but he couldn't because my left hand was on his elbow joint), and punch me with his left hand at the same time.
    - I pulled his right arm across his body, and use it to jam his own left punch. At the same time,
    - I slided my left hand along his right arm to take over my right grip on his right wrist.
    - I then used my free right hand to garb his left arm (jammed by his own right arm) at the wrist.
    - Now I have grabbed both of his arms at the wrist position.
    - He tried to break my grips but failed.
    - I let him tried about 3 times. I then let go both of my grips and everything just stopped right there.
    This is why you started the other discussion about chasing hands?

In this situation it was convenient for you to exchange your right wrist control for left wrist control, then go after his left wrist with your right hand?

I would tend to keep the right wrist control, go in while exchanging the left hand elbow control for chest to elbow control, then advance the left hand to the left side of his head for hit/control/wrap, and use left leg trap against his right leg.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post

In this situation it was convenient for you to exchange your right wrist control for left wrist control, then go after his left wrist with your right hand?

I would tend to keep the right wrist control, go in while exchanging the left hand elbow control for chest to elbow control, then advance the left hand to the left side of his head for hit/control/wrap, and use left leg trap against his right leg.
    If you go in and use position to prevent his left punch from hitting you, you get head control and takedown one step sooner, instead of switching hands and chasing his left.

Ah, gotcha

When I said "same generation", I mean we have similiar age. We both came from the "old school". When we talked about someone, He would say, "I'll send my students to fight him, I then fight him myself." I love his attitude. People in the modern generation just don't talk like that.
    I never send my students. I don't have any. If it comes to that, I send my ninjas to stab them in the back.

I guess we aren't the same age then.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries

That's a good entering strategy too. The only concern that I may have is when you move your left hand from his right elbow to the left side of his head, his right elbow is free. He may be able to strike his right elbow at your chest when you move in. Of course if you move in fast enough, you can use your own chest to jam his right elbow. If he can dorp his right elbow and raise it up, you will still have chance to run into his sharp elbow.

When I pull his right arm across his chest to jam his left punch, his resistence will move his right arm toward me. That make my left hand grab much easier.

Gene will send me in a kilt bearing ginseng single malt.

that alone with the beard of death will be about spontaneous combustion on all who harbor ill will towards Gene and Nacho cheese.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

I don't like to punch at my opponent chest for the following reason.

- My opponent raises his right leading arm and exposes his chest.
    - I punch at his chest.
    - He dropped his right elbow on top of my arm, and
    - poked his right hand fingers at my eyes.

I may be able to dodge his eyes poking, but I may not be able to dodge his groin kick. I like to be "on top and inside". I don't like to put my arm below my opponent's arm (under hook and waist control are exceptions).
    Punch chest to simulate stabbing was the point of that. More of a message to cover the line. Too often I find people are easily distracted, myself included.

I like body shots, but I tend to go for the sides. Kidney, liver, floaters. It works pretty well when you're inside. I don't think I have ever even tried to punch somebody in the chest or even the solar plexus in a real fight. Maybe in the stomach, but usually not even that.

Blog Entries
    If you go in and use position to prevent his left punch from hitting you, you get head control and takedown one step sooner, instead of switching hands and chasing his left.
    Agree!

A right "挂(Gua) - comb the hair" on his left arm, I can move in with a head lock. I realy didn't want to apply "head lock" on him that day. That may be a bit over do IMO. Of course if he is strong and can break my grips, when he tries to do so, I may have to move in with a head lock. So head lock will be my next move in my plan in case I have to continue after that.

The advantage to control both my opponent's arms instead of just control one of his arms, comb the hair, and move in is,

in the

- 1st situation, I can borrow his resistence to pull me into him. My entering will be faster.
    - 2nd situation, since his left side body is still free, he may be able to pull back fast enough to make my head lock just lock into the thin air.

Be afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    Gene will send me in a kilt bearing ginseng single malt.

that alone with the beard of death will be about spontaneous combustion on all who harbor ill will towards Gene and Nacho cheese.
    Be very afraid.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

That's a good entering strategy too. The only concern that I may have is when you move your left hand from his right elbow to the left side of his head, his right elbow is free. He may be able to strike his right elbow at your chest when you move in. Of course if you move in fast enough, you can use your own chest to jam his right elbow. If he can dorp his right elbow and raise it up, you will still have chance to run into his sharp elbow.

When I pull his right arm across his chest to jam his left punch, his resistence will move his right arm toward me. That make my left hand grab much easier.
    True.

When you have hands at his right wrist and elbow, you can sink and extend the arm so he doesn't have a chance to use his elbow. Yes, jam the chest to pressure his elbow as you close in.

Both Mantis and SC want to close the gap so the other person can't manuever. We're supposed to train to move in fast enough. If he is faster, we didn't train enough.

Ok, if he is strong and pulls back up when you drop and extend his arm, go with his force and bend his elbow and raise his right wrist. Go in with your right leg behind his right. Hit across his face or chest with your right elbow, as you do a figure 4 on his arm and kao for takedown.

Agree!

A right "挂(Gua) - comb the hair" on his left arm, I can move in with a head lock. I realy didn't want to apply "head lock" on him that day. That may be a bit over do IMO.
    This sounds like you are both facing kind of square.

You give right punch.

He uses right elbow up to deflect.

You take control of wrist and elbow.

He gives left punch.

You release your right hand to Gua.

Then close for headlock.

---

I was thinking for using position to neutralize the left punch.

When you have wrist and elbow control, you can fully extend him so his left cannot punch you.

Use your body to pressure his elbow as your left shoots forward to wrap into reverse guillotine.

It is the Chin Na idea of all the way up, or all the way down. All the way in, or all the way out.

In this case, all the way out and extended and off balance for him.

You give right punch.

He uses right elbow up to deflect.

You take control of wrist and elbow.

He gives left punch.

You release your right hand to Gua.

Then close for headlock.

---

I was thinking for using position to neutralize the left punch.

When you have wrist and elbow control, you can fully extend him so his left cannot punch you.

Use your body to pressure his elbow as your left shoots forward to wrap into reverse guillotine.

It is the Chin Na idea of all the way up, or all the way down. All the way in, or all the way out.

In this case, all the way out and extended and off balance for him.
    If you want to be lazy, you can just bend forward onto his elbow, and skip the head control.

Blog Entries
    I'll never use square stance even if I had cross training in WC. We both have right side forward. Otherwise he should use his left Bong Shou to block my right punch. If my right hand can reach to his left wrist, I would use right hook punch instead.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-03-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    skip the head control.
    I have inversted almost all my lifetime in "head lock". I'll hate not to use it if I have a chance.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-03-2013 at 09:30 PM.