Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 心意六合 (XingYi Liu He)

However the power of these traditional techniques lies in Changing stance, attitude, Using different Shenfa. THis is more powerful, but it cannot return to this neutral stance quickly AND often it cannot be done immediatley from this neutral stance. Some techniques are rising, some falling etc. From rising you change to falling, you can't go rising -- neutral---falling---neutral, because for the falling technique to work you need to be in the 'high' attitude, you can't do it from neutral
    In Xinyi there is rising, falling and middle power generation and also the range of movements gets much smaller and more practical in the small frame which makes it easier and faster to shift between them. For demonstrations people usually do the exaggerated big frame moves that are meant for improving power generation or as you said very rare decisive situations. There are many soft moves, openning moves and fighting drills(not paida) that are not usually shown in demos and I haven't seen most of them on the internet.
    Last edited by xinyidizi; 04-07-2013 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I don't think you get internal from emphasizing external,you just get better external, not internal.
    The external moves of the IMA like xinyi help the internal development.
    Last edited by xinyidizi; 04-07-2013 at 08:28 AM.

I don't think you get internal from emphasizing external,you just get better external, not internal.
    But that is exactly the foundation of what is 'internal'.
    New broom sweeps clean but old brown knows the corners!

Blog Entries
    The XingYi (5 elements) is "internal". The Liu He (6 harmonies) is also "internal". I just don't see XingYi (internal) + Liu He (internal) = external.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I think the thing that makes the three big internal arts internal is their highly refined circular and spiral movements that after enough practice unify the body as a whole moving with dantian at the centre and result in maximum power as well as speed with minimum effort. I think standing and sitting meditation(qigong) can also help in building internal power but for internal martial artists it doesn't need to be a priority because by practicing these spiral opening and closing movements they are already opening their meridians and building up Qi.

Xinyiliuhe people are usually more practical (or at least they are supposed to be). The number of the old generation practitioners who are healthy and can kick ass in their nineties is proof for their internal power and it's interesting that most of them have never practiced any form of Qigong other than their normal Xinyi moves.

@YKH: I think you should translate 心意 to XinYi because it always tends to get confused with 形意. Xinyiliuhe has its own version of 五行拳 moves but it shouldn't be confused with Xingyi's 5 elements.

On a side note,

When I trained some XinYiLiuHe the master said that Wushu used to be classified into 3 types of styles, Soldier styles, civilian styles, spiritual styles.

Of these XinYi was a 'soldier style'.

If I remember correctly the motto was something like:

'Xian you sha di zhi xin, hou you dong shou zhi yi'

Which translates roughly to;

'Before even moving your hand, you must be resolved to murder the opponent'