Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WSL directly

WSL directly

Hi guys!

The following link will take you to a great video (60mins or so long) of WSL explaining the forms and applications. Some of you may, like me, already have these clips but for those that don't, the following link may be of use. I was surprised by how much I could understand even though I don't speak the language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1DQvDmZ6BU

Personally, I enjoyed WSL's discussion of section eight of SLT (@28min -ish). I have had many disagreements with my fellow kung fu brothers at the class I attend, regarding this very issue; they did not like me pointing out that you can just hit them :P .

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    Hi guys!

The following link will take you to a great video (60mins or so long) of WSL explaining the forms and applications. Some of you may, like me, already have these clips but for those that don't, the following link may be of use. I was surprised by how much I could understand even though I don't speak the language.

Personally, I enjoyed WSL's discussion of section eight of SLT (@28min -ish). I have had many disagreements with my fellow kung fu brothers at the class I attend, regarding this very issue; they did not like me pointing out that you can just hit them :P .

Enjoy!
    It's a nice video, I posted it on my FB page wall too, nice to see WSL in action and his mechanics, even though it is in slow motion. But it is mostly all about techniques, what to do if someone does this or that to me. Not about structure/mechanic development and things of this nature, development in the sense of how well does my body perform within its own actions, and not in relationship to what someone else is doing to us.

You can learn all the techniques you want against the 1000's of attacks that can happen to you, but if your body/mind is not set in certain fundamental ways (you have no structure, no balance, no recovery method, no sensitivity, no aim in your strikes, etc...) you can't use those techniques as effectively, IMO

J

3. You should have taught WSL, you seem to know a lot how to share his Style.
    "Deepest depth, Where one live with no light, No evil can escape my sticky tentacle, Beware the radiant octopus might !"

www.poulperadieux.com

Quote Originally Posted by poulperadieux View Post
    You should have taught WSL, you seem to know a lot how to share his Style.
    Was that a reply to me?

Hi guys!

Enjoy!

What do you think that idea is @28 ?

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    What do you think that idea is @28 ?
    Why don't you have a go, eh? I am not going to take the worm you are offering. Go fish elsewhere!

Why don't you have a go, eh? I am not going to take the worm you are offering. Go fish elsewhere!
    Okay, just trying to have a discussion. Not an ambush.
    Never mind.

Never mind.
    Guess its a case of crying wolf In this case the wolf wants to discuss matters

well, since what happened @28 mins has been mentioned, and since nearly everyone here is senior to me in Ving Tsun, I might as well ask the questions from the perspective of noob lol.

So what exactly is WSL showing? I dont understand Cantonese or Mandarin but if I had to guess, I would assume he was showing a concept like "replacing hands" for better positioning. I think he took the concept from "chop sao (thats what I know those movements as)" and applied them at heights besides just that which is seen at the end of Siu Nim Tao. Also, i dont know if he was showing this, but perhaps he may have also been showing how that same movement can also cut distance without taking any steps if the person holds onto your wrist/arm/etc.

Anyone have any insight on the matter?
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Never mind.
    Sorry, mate it is hard to tell with you!

With regards to section 8, and there is a bit covered, the specific part I was alluding to was using those movements in section 8 to defend against wrist and arm grabs i.e. to break them. WSL, from what I can interpret, advises against this and shows us movements from other sections (including the opening that some think is just to check center), that are perhaps better solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSpring View Post
    well, since what happened @28 mins has been mentioned, and since nearly everyone here is senior to me in Ving Tsun, I might as well ask the questions from the perspective of noob lol.
    [...]
    Anyone have any insight on the matter?
    Hopefully my brief explanation above may help you EternalSpring.
    Last edited by Paddington; 04-06-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Ray View Post
    Thanks for the link! I did not, until now, have that one in my extensive archive!

13. for me, as I was told, and as I think, is not for escaping a wrist hold, if so, that would mean 2 hands on one hand, and that's not possible, as WSL says in the video, he's so right.
    "Deepest depth, Where one live with no light, No evil can escape my sticky tentacle, Beware the radiant octopus might !"

www.poulperadieux.com

Yup. He was saying some people think of it as a way to escape wrist grabs, but it's not that at all. He says because you have two hands committed to their one, while they have a free hand to punch. When you go to chop their hand off and they punch you in the face, who's faster and which is more dangerous?

So a better way to get out of a wrist grab is to simply turn over to taan-sau and attack their center. Or depending on which hand is grabbing which wrist, you may have to turn to bong-sau to release it, while still keeping your other hand free so you're more even with the opponent. Taan-sau works when it's right to right, or left to left. Bong-sau works when the grab is on the same side, like left grabbing your right. Simply changing shape will release the grab. There is no need to use two hands against their one.

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    It's a nice video, I posted it on my FB page wall too, nice to see WSL in action and his mechanics, even though it is in slow motion. But it is mostly all about techniques, what to do if someone does this or that to me. Not about structure/mechanic development and things of this nature, development in the sense of how well does my body perform within its own actions, and not in relationship to what someone else is doing to us.
    I get the feeling someone doesn't speak Mandarin.