Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WSL directly

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    I get the feeling someone doesn't speak Mandarin.
    No Mandarin for me. But I have the sub titled copies..

I guess for me, the movements in the forms are more than just techniques against attacks, even though they could be used that way. SNT is development, elbow, aim, yjkyma, pelvic tilt, recovery and such, CK/Mok jong the same, but yeah someone can see techniques out of it too, that's all my comment was saying

J

What I got from the video was an explanation of concepts and an illustration of them being applied. It's not really possible to discuss application of concept without showing a little something, so what you may see are situational techniques, but more important is the concept he's discussing which aren't bound by those situations. One should be able to see beyond that if they understand the concept.

What I got from the video was an explanation of concepts and an illustration of them being applied. It's not really possible to discuss application of concept without showing a little something, so what you may see are situational techniques, but more important is the concept he's discussing which aren't bound by those situations. One should be able to see beyond that if they understand the concept.
    True! I think us in the WSL line understand this, others outside may not or some with little to no VT experience..

J

4. Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Yup. He was saying some people think of it as a way to escape wrist grabs, but it's not that at all. He says because you have two hands committed to their one, while they have a free hand to punch. When you go to chop their hand off and they punch you in the face, who's faster and which is more dangerous?

So a better way to get out of a wrist grab is to simply turn over to taan-sau and attack their center. Or depending on which hand is grabbing which wrist, you may have to turn to bong-sau to release it, while still keeping your other hand free so you're more even with the opponent. Taan-sau works when it's right to right, or left to left. Bong-sau works when the grab is on the same side, like left grabbing your right. Simply changing shape will release the grab. There is no need to use two hands against their one.
    And so, what's the use of this move for WSL?
    "Deepest depth, Where one live with no light, No evil can escape my sticky tentacle, Beware the radiant octopus might !"

www.poulperadieux.com

Once you look beyond the idea of a specific "application", we can see is to develop certain VT skills and attributes....the elbow, striking, crossing, taking center, replacing the hand/line/contact, wu sao, synchronicity/timing....etc....
    Last edited by T_Ray; 04-07-2013 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by poulperadieux View Post
    Skip to 7:10 here and he will tell you himself at 8:50; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guBKfDox5qs

7. Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Skip to 7:10 here and he will tell you himself at 8:50; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guBKfDox5qs
    yep, that's half I was taught
    "Deepest depth, Where one live with no light, No evil can escape my sticky tentacle, Beware the radiant octopus might !"

www.poulperadieux.com

And at fighting speed.

http://youtu.be/sviizp-Bmgw

Quote Originally Posted by T_Ray View Post
    Once you look beyond the idea of a specific "application", we can see is to develop certain VT skills and attributes....the elbow, striking, crossing, taking center, replacing the hand/line/contact, wu sao, synchronicity/timing....etc....
    It allows very fast exchanges with little thought. ; )

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    And at fighting speed.

http://youtu.be/sviizp-Bmgw
    "Hahaha, ganz einfach!"

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    Hi guys!

The following link will take you to a great video (60mins or so long) of WSL explaining the forms and applications. Some of you may, like me, already have these clips but for those that don't, the following link may be of use. I was surprised by how much I could understand even though I don't speak the language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1DQvDmZ6BU

Personally, I enjoyed WSL's discussion of section eight of SLT (@28min -ish). I have had many disagreements with my fellow kung fu brothers at the class I attend, regarding this very issue; they did not like me pointing out that you can just hit them :P .

Enjoy!
    I never knew that WSL spoke Mandarin.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

"Hahaha, ganz einfach!"
    He makes it look easy ; )

Blog Entries
    I]Taan-sau[/I] works when it's right to right, or left to left. Bong-sau works when the grab is on the same side, like left grabbing your right.
    I believe you should do the opposite. The reason is simple, you should always turn your arm to against your opponent's thumb (1 finger) and not to against his other 4 fingers. If you use your own left hand to grab your right wrist, you will find out that your right "Tan Shou" will work better than your right "Bon Shou".

If your opponent's

- "right" hand grabs your "right" wrist, you can use "Bong Shou" to break it. The proble is you will expose your right elbow to your opponent's free left hand.
    - "left" hand grabs your "right" wrist, you can use "Tan Shou" to break it. The problem is your will expose your center to your opponent's free right punch.

The solution is not whether you should use Tan Shou or Bon Shou to break a grip but which direction that you should turn your wrist to break that grip.

Quote Originally Posted by poulperadieux View Post
    He said when you pull back your punch, if your opponent follows your pulling back, he can punch at you through that "leak". You need to sent your back arm out to "seal that leak". This way, you pull one hand back and sent one hand out, your center is still protected.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-07-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    It allows very fast exchanges with little thought. ; )
    Yes! I see it

15. Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

He said when you pull back your punch, if your opponent follows your pulling back, he can punch at you through that "leak". You need to sent your back arm out to "seal that leak". This way, you pull one hand back and sent one hand out, your center is still protected.

That make sense,

So, why doing it downwards in the form and everyone seems fine that the application is upward ?

In that case, why bother with this move in siu lim tao if biu jee is full of fack sao or biu sao that can be interpreted like Philip Bayer does in his video?

No one knows why this move is done downward in siu lim tao?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e4_PUXRKyY

They have a different explication in this family.
    Last edited by poulperadieux; 04-07-2013 at 02:14 PM.

www.poulperadieux.com