Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Weapons

but from what I read those hook swords are made of pine.

I'd like to recommend a great wood worker here in the USA who makes a wide variety of Chinese Practice Weapons. "Raven STudios"

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

The quality speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    Totally not into double bladed weapons...way too likely to stab myself.
    I agree 100% with this statement. Plus, anytime I watch somebody using these fantasy weapons they seem way to slow in their movements.

I have a question for ngokfei. If the Ox Tailed Sword is the civilian model then which one is used for military? I just assumed it was for the military as well as civilians but I admit that I'm no expert on Chinese bladed weapons. Personally I like knives or a good Kukri and for swords I prefer the Krabi or Dha. Katanas are nice also but the shorter Krabi/Dha swords move better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    but from what I read those hook swords are made of pine.

I'd like to recommend a great wood worker here in the USA who makes a wide variety of Chinese Practice Weapons. "Raven STudios"

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

The quality speaks for itself.
    those look nice
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Here's a link to Raven Studios for those who don't participate in Facebook.

http://www.little-raven.com/RS/MA/

I agree with Lucas. Looks like some fine work. It makes me want to break out the lathe and try my hand at making some of my own practice weapons and maybe even a mook jong. I have some fresh eastern red cedar, oak and hickory that I recently cut down to make room for our garden. I set a bunch aside for milling into planks, flooring and such but I think I'll repurpose some of it to make some new toys.

pretty badass and scary at the same time...how people used to carve each other up in battlefields with them.....i'd rather be sprayed with an AK-47 over this joint any day if i had to go out.

how much for a wooden jian?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Were hook swords used in the military? They strike me as very unwieldy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    how much for a wooden jian?
    just use a stick, bro. i use sticks of varying lengths. sticks is a the traditional training weapon in kung fu.

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    Were hook swords used in the military? They strike me as very unwieldy.
    non fantasy hooks dont have the fancy guard or the handle spike.

well known hook weapons were the hook spear and hook mace.
    Last edited by bawang; 04-11-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I just like having hard wood replica for sparring, so I can have the guard....Where do you get good sticks from in the city though? Its probably easier for me to go buy a cheap wood jian at this blade store i know but it will break really fast. Plus I don't drive, I ride a skateboard everywhere I go, so getting to a forest is hard, cuz I have no friends.

....Where do you get good sticks from in the city though?
    i get mine from a garbage dump, i also got copper pipes from furniture store.

you can also buy a mop and take off the handle

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

you are gung fu genius

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    just use a stick, bro. i use sticks of varying lengths. sticks is a the traditional training weapon in kung fu.

non fantasy hooks dont have the fancy guard or the handle spike.

well known hook weapons were the hook spear and hook mace.
    Cool. One of my teachers has a set of hooks that are much smaller, without guards, and much heavier than the fantasy ones I've seen. I'll ask him next time I see him if he knows how to use them.

With all the genuinely cool weapons in CMA, why do people always resort back to fantasy ones?

I just like having hard wood replica for sparring, so I can have the guard....Where do you get good sticks from in the city though? Its probably easier for me to go buy a cheap wood jian at this blade store i know but it will break really fast. Plus I don't drive, I ride a skateboard everywhere I go, so getting to a forest is hard, cuz I have no friends.
    If you want to spar with jian, get a child-size kendo shinai. These are cheap, will last a long time, and not so dangerous to spar with. You can use with or without a guard.

goldenbrain:

Ming & Qing Dynasty Dao's tended to be the

yanmao dao 雁毛刀(goose quill/feather Knife/saber) and the

liuye dao柳葉刀 (willow leaf knife/saber)

I was told the basic differences in the images I showed of the 4 types are:

Wan Dao/Pian Dao - optimized for slicing
    Yan Mao Dao - straight w/ curved tip, thus less effective slicer
    Liu Yie Dao - gently curved thus a better slicer without totally sacrificing the thrust
    Niu Wei Dao - optimized for cleaving/cutting through, losing an effective thrust

In the end all the training is only useful if you can transfer it to whatever you get your hands on.

Why should you spar with a "Period Piece Designed" weapon is merely to get skilled at the techniques you've probably been training all along in the form.

For me its kind of like doing the various levels of chi sao/tui sao/nim sao. Each has specific rules or guidelines so your forced to work on those techniques that are allowed/inclusive. Kind of like why you should train your jab on both the right and left side even though your a south paw.