Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kung Fu Weapons

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Where do you get good sticks from in the city though?
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i get mine from a garbage dump, i also got copper pipes from furniture store.

you can also buy a mop and take off the handle
    I like what bawang said, but as an alternative you could also go to the local hardware store and find a hardwood dowel or curtain rod.

If you plan on sparring with them then do what pazman said or order rattan. Hardwood likes to splinter which can be dangerous when sparring. If you go with rattan sticks then I would highly recommend this site. http://kalisticks.webs.com/apps/webstore/

I have ordered several of his premium sticks and they are all beautiful and perfectly matched in pairs. Unfortunately he doesn't make staffs yet but you can get those from... https://www.tigerclaw.com/rattan-bo-...s-pr-6240.html

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    goldenbrain:

Ming & Qing Dynasty Dao's tended to be the

yanmao dao 雁毛刀(goose quill/feather Knife/saber) and the

liuye dao柳葉刀 (willow leaf knife/saber)

I was told the basic differences in the images I showed of the 4 types are:

Wan Dao/Pian Dao - optimized for slicing
    Yan Mao Dao - straight w/ curved tip, thus less effective slicer
    Liu Yie Dao - gently curved thus a better slicer without totally sacrificing the thrust
    Niu Wei Dao - optimized for cleaving/cutting through, losing an effective thrust
    Thank you Eric! Much appreciated.

Its also important to store your bladed weapons properly for safety prevent warping and corrosion/rust.

If they come with a case/scabbard then that great. If not then some sort of rack is needed.

I sell a basic rack just for this purpose at only $49.95 (plus S&H)

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    Dan Dao (單刀, "single knife")
    I train single edge sword (Dan Dao) regularly. It would be good to own and train the one that you showed in your post. But perhaps the length is too long for me. The ideal specifications for my size would be 32 inches in total length and one lb. in weight.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

For size I was shown to hold a Dan DAo cupped in your hand by the Guard. the tip of the blade just below your ear lobe.

1lb is very light and I've not held a Real saber that was that light. Most were between 2 1/2 and 3 lbs.

Since your in HK there should be no problem find either a great practice one or even a real antique at a reasonable price.

or may be not according to this recent article I found banning wushu/kung fu weapons in HK.

http://www.scmp.com/article/592529/b...gles-tradition

Ngokfei,

The sword that I have now is the first and only one that I bought ten years ago. It is a real weapon - single edge broad sword made of steel. Originally, it was 35 inches long and weighted 2.3 lbs. The centre of gravity is 3 inches away from the hand guard, which is not quite good. I paid a mechanic to have it trimmed down to 32 ins long, 1.25 lbs., and narrower all along the blade body (still not sharpened). Because I could not train with it without straining my wrist no matter what. It is fun to mention that in the autobiography, Total Recall, written by Arnold Schwarzenegger, he said the sword used by him in the movie, Conan the Barbarian, weighs 11 lbs. It is a heavy duty weapon good for piercing and hacking through armour together with bone and fresh. At the end of the day, the weapon that we choose to train must be compatible with the student's physique and purpose. That is what techniques he wants to perform with it.

Sure, there are good real sabers available in town. They cost at least HKD 1,000 each. Any way, I have not much in intention to change sword. Skill is more important than the tool is one big reason. Besides, I am not very dissatisfied with my sword right now.

As a side track of the topic, there are some points that I do not agree with in the article you mentioned. I did some research in the local law in this matter at around the time I bought my sword. IMHO, the store keeper should be quilty as charged. And so am I strictly speaking. But I have committed a light felony of the regulation, while the store keeper have committed a serious one. Also, he was not a first time offender of the regulation.

P.S. Part of the regulation in stating the considered weapons is that it does not needed to be sharpened. Owner of such weapons need to register them with the Police Department.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    Last edited by SteveLau; 04-19-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Student Weapon Rack with Upgrades
    - Mortise & Tenon Profiled Leg Base with Brackets*
    - Latched opening to allow kwandao with base spike
    - Hanging Pegs
    - Rustic Textured Surface to hide those nasty fingerprints
    - Post Dragon Pommels
    $149 (plus S&H)

Good list.

How's this for No BS Kung Fu Weaponry

Is that first pic real and is there any history to go along with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Is that first pic real and is there any history to go along with it?
    Yeah it's real, it's Bawang on holiday!

but seriously folks - it's from that martial studies website:
    A Social and Visual History of the Dadao: The Chinese “Military Big-Saber.”

*oops - put the wrong story, just corrected the link
    Last edited by MightyB; 06-21-2013 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Yeah it's real, it's Bawang on holiday!

but seriously folks - it's from that martial studies website:
    A Social and Visual History of the Dadao: The Chinese “Military Big-Saber.”

*oops - put the wrong story, just corrected the link
    Great article! But if it was actually Bawang, those would be h0nkey heads.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

I think you both are correct
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.