Thread: Living in a material world

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    One of my favorite equations in physics, is one of the earliest, force equals mass times acceleration. For objects traveling in a circle the equation is force equals mass times velocity squared divided by radius. This video is a perfect example of that equation.

http://youtu.be/dq6T5BojXc8

Courtesy of David Fuchs.
    That's the equation I used to discuss the circular strikes in another thread. Although I don't /did not understand that divided by radius part. I can see that would also change depending on how long someone's arm length is.

Great video.

Some interesting stuff here. I'll have to read more fully when I have more time to. I've only been skimming so far.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    That's the equation I used to discuss the circular strikes in another thread. Although I don't /did not understand that divided by radius part. I can see that would also change depending on how long someone's arm length is.

Great video.

Some interesting stuff here. I'll have to read more fully when I have more time to. I've only been skimming so far.
    V^2/r is for uniform circular motion. It can also be re-written as 4pi^2r/T. T being the period is seconds, not delta t in seconds. It defines radial acceleration. But that is for an actual circle. When the curve is not uniform you have to either integrate or differentiate with respect to time. It gets complicated because as the curve changes the origin changes. And of course, it depends on which co-ordinate system you use.

The radius most certainly matters. Think about it this way... If you are doing a tight turn going 65 it feels more intense than doing a loose curve at that same speed. Smaller r = greater centripetal force. Which is defined as mv^2/r. It's Newtons second law. Worth reading up on if you're into that stuff. It never goes away. You start doing UCM and high school and it just gets deeper and deeper. Never ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    V^2/r is for uniform circular motion. It can also be re-written as 4pi^2r/T. T being the period is seconds, not delta t in seconds. It defines radial acceleration. But that is for an actual circle. When the curve is not uniform you have to either integrate or differentiate with respect to time. It gets complicated because as the curve changes the origin changes. And of course, it depends on which co-ordinate system you use.

The radius most certainly matters. Think about it this way... If you are doing a tight turn going 65 it feels more intense than doing a loose curve at that same speed. Smaller r = greater centripetal force. Which is defined as mv^2/r. It's Newtons second law. Worth reading up on if you're into that stuff. It never goes away. You start doing UCM and high school and it just gets deeper and deeper. Never ends.

I am afraid you have exceeded my level of competence. In the end , to me it just means the circle allows you to hit really hard. Potentially exceeding your weapons ability to withstand the impact with what it impacts. That said, I sure am glad there are people like you that we can refer to and ask advice about those sort of things. I don't need to "know it all ". I just need to know where I can find it or someone that does know "it". Then if learning it more fully is imperative. I got source. Otherwise it is wiser to ask others to do their specialty.

edit. I have yet had the time to read more fully this thread. I have my thoughts in so many places at present. Currently reading book pertaining to scripture.
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 04-24-2015 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    I am afraid you have exceeded my level of competence. In the end , to me it just means the circle allows you to hit really hard. Potentially exceeding your weapons ability to withstand the impact with what it impacts. That said, I sure am glad there are people like you that we can refer to and ask advice about those sort of things. I don't need to "know it all ". I just need to know where I can find it or someone that does know "it". Then if learning it more fully is imperative. I got source. Otherwise it is wiser to ask others to do their specialty.

edit. I have yet had the time to read more fully this thread. I have my thoughts in so many places at present. Currently reading book pertaining to scripture.
    Good resources are always nice. Can't know everything.

Anyways. Yah, circular motion makes you hit harder. There's a happy medium there. Obviously you can't always be swinging like that.