Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Living in a material world

Nah, to get your hair standing up you're gonna have to go all out. A lil table top one will just spark when the charge/gap is right. You attach the neg side to a wand and bring it close. They aren't anything to write home about, but fun for a small kid, harmless and easy to build.

I made this thing when I was bored one day a few years ago and had this little negative ion generator laying around. I saw something similar in a book somewhere, don't remember. So... I went from a battery bank to a small low wattage power inverter (just the guts) to the ion generator to a metal pad that went against my leg and another that went down to my foot(to ground) and just wrapped it up with a tensor bandage to keep it all in place. You can put your hand over something like sand and it's like a lil sand storm. Would look like magic to a kid for sure. But don't touch any electronics, it's not a good look. In fact, make a point to remove all electronics from your reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Nah, to get your hair standing up you're gonna have to go all out. A lil table top one will just spark when the charge/gap is right. You attach the neg side to a wand and bring it close. They aren't anything to write home about, but fun for a small kid, harmless and easy to build.

I made this thing when I was bored one day a few years ago and had this little negative ion generator laying around. I saw something similar in a book somewhere, don't remember. So... I went from a battery bank to a small low wattage power inverter (just the guts) to the ion generator to a metal pad that went against my leg and another that went down to my foot(to ground) and just wrapped it up with a tensor bandage to keep it all in place. You can put your hand over something like sand and it's like a lil sand storm. Would look like magic to a kid for sure. But don't touch any electronics, it's not a good look. In fact, make a point to remove all electronics from your reach.
    I believe I'll add this to our list of fun stuff to build. Who doesn't like mini lightning bolts, err I mean sparks?

I remember in some thread way back you mentioned this negative ion generator. I imagine it was magic to most of the adults too. Jedi powers activate!!!

Haven't done any research on the particulars, but interesting none the less.

Salt Water Powered Car Gets European Approval – Yes, It’s Real
    http://themindunleashed.org/2014/09/...orsepower.html

Haven't done any research on the particulars, but interesting none the less.

Salt Water Powered Car Gets European Approval – Yes, It’s Real
    http://themindunleashed.org/2014/09/...orsepower.html
    whoa! that would be most excellent to have one of those!

Wow ! That's a game changer for sure.

Take with a grain of salt guys. No pun intended. Well, I guess that's just a play on words, but I digress. While flow batteries are a real thing and have been around for a long time, I'm skeptical as to whether this battery in this particular car is what it claims to be. I won't go into the particulars, but let me just say that it's more likely that this is just hype. And to put this into context for you guys, they aren't dumping seawater into the tank and driving off. This is a battery like all others and it requires a charging station, maintenance and has a limited lifespan. Like all batteries it is HORRIBLY inefficient. General Electric has been trying to do this for ever and has yet to put anything significant on the market. I have a lot of trouble believing they can get 350 plus miles per charge out of this.

All that being said, I have high hopes for this direction. I'm especially interested to see where the nano network and those organic mega flow batteries go. The main problem with things like solar and wind power, especially on the local level, is storage. If we can overcome the battery curse, things will change real fast. Ever wonder why we don't see robots walking around? It isn't because we can't make them, it's because they would be dragging around extension cords everywhere. Boston Dynamic's "big dog" has a genset on board, and that's the only reason we even have that. And it can't go very long.

So yeah, don't get too excited here.

MATERIAL QUESTION
    Graphene may be the most remarkable substance ever discovered. But what’s it for?

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...erial-question

Great article! Nice update on what's going on with this substance from an impartial perspective. I was familiar with the concept of using graphene layers to create filtering systems for desalinating salt water that I read about a few years ago but do not know if it has become commercially viable, that being the clincher as emphasized in the link, even though many theoretical discoveries in the past have been awarded Nobel prizes and research grants on a major scale without bearing fruit. Application, bottom line always seems to rule the day since the discovery of anything useful to mankind.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 12-29-2014 at 05:24 AM.

I had a professor for engineering physics that was using graphene microsieves for desalination. I never really followed up on that though. It was developed at MIT, I believe. My understanding was that while it worked very well, there were some practical issues.

One of my favorite equations in physics, is one of the earliest, force equals mass times acceleration. For objects traveling in a circle the equation is force equals mass times velocity squared divided by radius. This video is a perfect example of that equation.

http://youtu.be/dq6T5BojXc8

Courtesy of David Fuchs.
    That's the equation I used to discuss the circular strikes in another thread. Although I don't /did not understand that divided by radius part. I can see that would also change depending on how long someone's arm length is.

Great video.

Some interesting stuff here. I'll have to read more fully when I have more time to. I've only been skimming so far.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    That's the equation I used to discuss the circular strikes in another thread. Although I don't /did not understand that divided by radius part. I can see that would also change depending on how long someone's arm length is.

Great video.

Some interesting stuff here. I'll have to read more fully when I have more time to. I've only been skimming so far.
    V^2/r is for uniform circular motion. It can also be re-written as 4pi^2r/T. T being the period is seconds, not delta t in seconds. It defines radial acceleration. But that is for an actual circle. When the curve is not uniform you have to either integrate or differentiate with respect to time. It gets complicated because as the curve changes the origin changes. And of course, it depends on which co-ordinate system you use.

The radius most certainly matters. Think about it this way... If you are doing a tight turn going 65 it feels more intense than doing a loose curve at that same speed. Smaller r = greater centripetal force. Which is defined as mv^2/r. It's Newtons second law. Worth reading up on if you're into that stuff. It never goes away. You start doing UCM and high school and it just gets deeper and deeper. Never ends.

V^2/r is for uniform circular motion. It can also be re-written as 4pi^2r/T. T being the period is seconds, not delta t in seconds. It defines radial acceleration. But that is for an actual circle. When the curve is not uniform you have to either integrate or differentiate with respect to time. It gets complicated because as the curve changes the origin changes. And of course, it depends on which co-ordinate system you use.

The radius most certainly matters. Think about it this way... If you are doing a tight turn going 65 it feels more intense than doing a loose curve at that same speed. Smaller r = greater centripetal force. Which is defined as mv^2/r. It's Newtons second law. Worth reading up on if you're into that stuff. It never goes away. You start doing UCM and high school and it just gets deeper and deeper. Never ends.

I am afraid you have exceeded my level of competence. In the end , to me it just means the circle allows you to hit really hard. Potentially exceeding your weapons ability to withstand the impact with what it impacts. That said, I sure am glad there are people like you that we can refer to and ask advice about those sort of things. I don't need to "know it all ". I just need to know where I can find it or someone that does know "it". Then if learning it more fully is imperative. I got source. Otherwise it is wiser to ask others to do their specialty.

edit. I have yet had the time to read more fully this thread. I have my thoughts in so many places at present. Currently reading book pertaining to scripture.
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 04-24-2015 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    I am afraid you have exceeded my level of competence. In the end , to me it just means the circle allows you to hit really hard. Potentially exceeding your weapons ability to withstand the impact with what it impacts. That said, I sure am glad there are people like you that we can refer to and ask advice about those sort of things. I don't need to "know it all ". I just need to know where I can find it or someone that does know "it". Then if learning it more fully is imperative. I got source. Otherwise it is wiser to ask others to do their specialty.

edit. I have yet had the time to read more fully this thread. I have my thoughts in so many places at present. Currently reading book pertaining to scripture.
    Good resources are always nice. Can't know everything.

Anyways. Yah, circular motion makes you hit harder. There's a happy medium there. Obviously you can't always be swinging like that.