Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Living in a material world

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Ya. Me too. It's nice to be hand fed. Always thoughtful and informative. I find that stuff fascinating. I wish I had the time and head space to dive right in. Like, I understand what SoCo wrote, but I have no idea about the details of things like maternal hypothyroxinemia. Gotta love google!

Wakefield is a dick. Can't stand the smug prick. That is all.

I think it'd be really cool to shadow SoCo at his job for a few days. I'm pretty sure much of what he does is way over my lowly 138 IQ but I would definitely appreciate the learning opportunity. For that matter, shadowing an electrical engineer like yourself would be pretty freaking cool as well. Much respect!

And ya, that Wakefield fella is a total douche! I wonder just how many people will suffer as a result of his bunk research?

Now this is awesome!

Walkie Talkie City skyscraper renamed Walkie Scorchie after beam of light melts Jaguar car parked beneath it

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...t-8794970.html

I know hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but when I look at the building, I have to wonder why the possibility wasn't discussed in the planning stage? I mean, LOOK at it, lol. And that glare for everyone throughout the day... uggh. WTF, right? Or am I being too judgemental?

It's a cool design though. I wonder if they used tension cables in the slab.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    I think it'd be really cool to shadow SoCo at his job for a few days. I'm pretty sure much of what he does is way over my lowly 138 IQ but I would definitely appreciate the learning opportunity. For that matter, shadowing an electrical engineer like yourself would be pretty freaking cool as well. Much respect!

And ya, that Wakefield fella is a total douche! I wonder just how many people will suffer as a result of his bunk research?
    Job shadowing as your job would be pretty sweet. Keep you on your toes anyways.

Job shadowing as your job would be pretty sweet. Keep you on your toes anyways.
    Hahaha, true dat! I assume you mean the dogs. We ended up getting animal control involved. They found that our neighbor who has 10 acres bordering our 16 acres was hoarding pit bull dogs. There's a leash law in this county so that means dog owners have to keep TOTAL control of their dogs. This guy had 8 more pits which he surrendered to animal control. Well, I say surrendered, it took animal control a week to round them all up. That makes a total of 12 if you count the 4 that I had to kill. They left him with one 3 legged dachshund and two really old shaggy mutts that he promised to keep in a fenced area. It turned out that he wasn't even feeding the pits, just giving them water, which means they were roaming and feeding in packs on several different properties around the area. No wonder they ran me down, they were starving. At least now the mystery has been solved as to why all the rabbits around here have disappeared. There are also some flyers posted on some signs at the entrance of this country neighborhood regarding missing pet dogs so I would hazard a guess that they met the same fate as the rabbits. Anywho, my wife and I feel a lot safer now so all that's left to worry about are coyotes, bob cats, cougars, bear, boar...etc... We are going to install a tall fence, better known as a game barrier to pen up this property, so very soon we won't even have to worry about the wild critters and I can get some goats and free range chickens.

I was reading about that Walkie Talkie skyscraper and I have to say that Archimedes would be proud.

There are several other stories about it with video of eggs being fried, bike seats melting like the Jaguar, carpets catching on fire...etc. It's pretty amazing that building a giant parabolic mirror didn't set off any red flags in any of the engineers minds. Apparently this only happens at a certain time of the year due to the position of the sun, but still...

That's so awesome

Some one should build a restaurant under the Walkie Talkie skyscraper that uses it's heat ray beams to cook.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    Hahaha, true dat! I assume you mean the dogs.
    Actually I did not mean the dogs. I just meant job shadowing as your(anyones) actual job. Like Mike Rowe but in other fields, not just "dirty jobs". Sorry about the ambiguous wording. I meant staying on your toes because you would always be a greenhorn. But a pack of angry dogs will do it too.

That being said, you want to generate electricity, you build shit and you grow stuff. Whatever else you do that is interesting would just be icing on the cake. I can dig it.

As for the tower, you really have to wonder if it came up at all. Was it mentioned and laughed at? Did they even consider doing any math? Did it go right over their heads? This isn't some shanty shack in an unregulated district. This tower went through some serious public inquiry to be approved. The main complaint was heritage and blocking views kind of stuff. Amazing that nobody looked at the pic and said "ummm, wait... what?"

This is what happens when art and money take precedence over function. The architect says “to respect the city’s historic character, following the contour of the river and the medieval streets that bound the site, while further contributing to the evolution of the high-rise building type.” It doesn't hurt that you get to increase floor space on the higher floors either.

Actually I did not mean the dogs. I just meant job shadowing as your(anyones) actual job.
    Ah, I get it. Sorry, it was kind of late, and as you can imagine this dog issue is still on my mind. I reread your statement and it makes perfect sense now.

I've totally lost the point of this thread...

...but I'm sure this needs to be included here.

There's a vid if you follow the link. It's kinda creepy...
    Artist creates faces from DNA left in public
    By Natalie Angley, CNN
    updated 3:10 PM EDT, Wed September 4, 2013

(CNN) -- We leave genetic traces of ourselves wherever we go -- in a strand of hair left on the subway or in saliva on the side of a glass at a cafe.
    So you may want to think twice the next time you spit out your gum or drop a cigarette butt in public.
    New York artist Heather Dewey-Hagborg might pick it up, extract the DNA and create a 3-D face that could look like you. Her project, "Stranger Visions," fashions portrait sculptures from bits of genetic material collected in public places.
    "The idea for the project came from this fascination with a single hair," Dewey-Hagborg told CNN. "This turned into a research project for me exploring exactly what I could discover about someone from an artifact they left behind."
    Art created by using a person's DNA
    As it turns out, she could discover a whole lot.
    Her process starts with finding a sample in a public place -- a strand of hair, a cigarette butt or a chewed piece of gum -- anything that might contain cells from a person's body.
    "You want something that is relatively fresh," she said. "Nothing that has been stepped on or that looks like it's been sitting around for ages."
    Dewey-Hagborg takes the sample to a community biotechnology lab in Brooklyn called Genspace. There she uses a standard DNA extraction protocol to mine the DNA, purify it and use it in polymerase chain reactions. The technical process is outlined on her blog.
    "From a cigarette butt, I can learn where someone's ancestors likely came from, their gender, eye color, hair color, complexion, freckles, their tendency to be overweight and a handful of dimensions of the face as well with a certain likelihood," she said.
    Once she obtains the sequencing information, she takes the traits she's gathered from the individual's DNA and feeds it into a computer program to generate a 3-D model of a face.
    "The way that I use code is a lot like how a sketch artist would use a pencil," she said. "I'll take the code, and then I'll generate different versions of a face. I'll use the code to enhance certain facial features or decrease them based on what I find in the DNA."
    It takes about eight hours to print one of Dewey-Hagborg's faces in 3-D at NYU's Advanced Media Studio. Once it's printed in what looks like a block of powder, the face is dug out, baked and hardened with a superglue-like substance.
    But there are limitations. The faces are not exact replicas of the stranger who left the DNA behind. Dewey-Hagborg considers it more of a family resemblance.
    "It's important to understand that these portraits are a general likeness. They're not exact reconstructions," she said. "They'll have things in common with the person, but they won't look exactly like the person."
    She is also unable to determine ages from the DNA samples. So all of her faces look around 30.
    Dewey-Hagborg started the "Stranger Visions" project with her own self-portrait about two years ago.
    "Even though I was the one developing the code and training the system, I wasn't really sure how much it would end up looking like me," she said. "I was particularly impressed with how much the overall facial shape resembled me."
    Reaction to the project has been mostly positive, although some observers feel her work raises t***** ethical questions.
    "This is very creepy," wrote a commenter on a Smithsonian blog post. "We need to pursue our privacy post haste, if this is what is available to the public."
    Dewey-Hagborg said she understands that some people could be put off by the portraits or consider them an intrusion of privacy. But that's also the point. She wants her work to raise questions about genetic surveillance and privacy issues.
    "If people find it to be a little creepy, that's OK," she said. "It's meant to make you aware of these issues and make you aware that this is possible."
    After all, "Stranger Visions" is an art project. And most conceptual art produces more questions than answers.
    "It's meant to be an exploration at the intersection of art and technology and science," she said. "And it's meant to be a provocation."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

One of the more fascinating things to stem from the great leaps in genetics are the legal ramifications. It'll be interesting to watch that unfold.

I'm also really curious to see how all this patent reform turns out. In relation to genetics, but also just in general. We move so much faster than those laws were designed for.

I think a persons genome should be their own. Any purposeful use should require consent. Rendering images is whatever, but I can see all sorts of ways it can get ugly. It should be illegal to purposely store anyones samples w/o consent. We should lay the foundations for the laws of the future when this stuff becomes more advanced and more accessible.

The Energy Department is Full of Hugely Wasteful Spending, But Can't Afford to Make Plutonium for NASA

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/casey...-missions.html

Here's a small bit...

Virtually every major project under the National Nuclear Security Administration’s oversight is behind schedule and over budget — the result, watchdogs and government auditors say, of years of lax accountability and nearly automatic annual budget increases for the agency responsible for maintaining the nation’s nuclear stockpile.

The NNSA has racked up $16 billion in cost overruns on 10 major projects that are a combined 38 years behind schedule, the U.S. Government Accountability Office reports. Other projects have been canceled or suspended, despite hundreds of millions of dollars already spent, because they grew too bloated.

Raffaello D'Andrea: The astounding athletic power of quadcopters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2itwFJCgFQ

Lightsaber?

Scientists create never-before-seen form of matter

http://phys.org/news/2013-09-scienti...fore-seen.html

That was a really interesting article. I'm not sure about lightsabers because you'd still have to carry around a super cooled cloud of atoms for the light to slow down in. Still, it'd be cool (pun intended) to have a lightsaber. I'm sure they'll figure it out one day.

Two things I thought were just as interesting in the article. One, how to freeze atoms and molecules with lasers. I didn't know how this process worked so I found another article giving a brief explanation (below is the link). I'm thinking a freeze ray would be pretty awesome...

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/1009....2010.478.html

The other thing is at the end of the article where they mention the possibility of creating three-dimensional structures using this process. 3d laser printers comes to mind. We moved from 2d inkjet printers to 2d laser printers so why not do the same with 3d printers?