Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Living in a material world

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Well, that's the problem right there. Layman interpretations made by laymen. Knowhutimsayin? The fact that people believe it's not true cause it snowed near their house yesterday says it all. Most people don't even know the difference between weather and climate. Regardless of the perception, misinterpretations and misinformation, the science is strong. Just because it's misunderstood doesn't make it not true. The trend is very real.
    I agree, but the simple fact that it is so misunderstood is because of how it was marketed in the very beginning ( and the "falsification scandal" didn't help either).
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

If you are saying that scientists in general have done a poor job as communicators where the scientifically uneducated are concerned , I tend to agree. But that has no bearing on whether claims about climate are true or not.

Technology uses micro-windmills to recharge cell phones

Here's a little something from Texas.

http://www.uta.edu/news/releases/201...-rao-chiao.php

A UT Arlington research associate and electrical engineering professor have designed a micro-windmill that generates wind energy and may become an innovative solution to cell phone batteries constantly in need of recharging and home energy generation where large windmills are not preferred.

Triton Oxygen Mask for Diving

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    That looks pretty cool, like some secret James Bond gadget.

This is very good news. I can't wait for SoCo to weigh in on this one since it's right up his alley.

That's pretty cool. I'll have to read the paper. Its important to know that this isn't "curing" cancer. Its preventing spread. But that preventing spread, is a pretty big deal and is huge in terms of patient survival. I'm wondering though what cell lines they are testing on. Inducing apoptosis is the purpose of most mainstream cancer treatments. So its a known mechanism. But many cancer phenotypes are resistant to this. I wonder how they can work around this. Apoptosis is a huge can of worms to get into. Unfortunately, its also really poorly understood and in most texts, gets about a paragraph of mention. My cell book I used in undergrad has all of 2 pages, out of nearly 1200, on the subject. The lab I did that year of cancer work within, was basically using this mechanism, though a different pathway. Although to be fair, I haven't touched the subject since I moved onto my own graduate program as I'm not in biomedical, nor have I worked in a hospital in a few years now. Damn, time is moving, seems like just yesterday I was separating from the mil to finish my degree...in anthropology. Yeah, that turned out way different.

Yeah, it's all way above my paygrade, lol. Seemed pretty cool and the source was reliable, so I tossed it up. What I did understand was pretty cool though.

Morons....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ut-four-hours/

It's unbelievable how poorly that was handled.

If you are saying that scientists in general have done a poor job as communicators where the scientifically uneducated are concerned , I tend to agree. But that has no bearing on whether claims about climate are true or not.
    It has bearing on how the truth is perceived and IF it is accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    That looks pretty cool, like some secret James Bond gadget.
    Yep, right out of Thunderball and Die another day.
    A buddy of mine in the SEALS said they've had them for sometime now, so...

Morons....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ut-four-hours/

It's unbelievable how poorly that was handled.
    Poorly by whom?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Poorly by whom?
    By the authorities. Who else? He did nothing wrong. If they want to ban google glass in theaters that's fine, but as far as I know they have not. You are allowed to have a phone in the theater, you just can't film in there. How is glass different? Had he worn the glass in defiance of the rules, that would be different. Not to mention they were prescription, but to be fair they didn't know that before they detained him.

So how is this different from detaining someone for 4 HOURS because they checked their email on their iPhone? They saw a device and assumed the worst. That's not how the law should work. I don't see the grounds for detention. Especially given the lack of rules surrounding this particular device.

On what planet does this take four hours? They assumed guilt and worked backwards. Hence... handled poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Yep, right out of Thunderball and Die another day.
    A buddy of mine in the SEALS said they've had them for sometime now, so...
    They have them that small? I was under the impression that the only working models were much more cumbersome and had power issues.