Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Living in a material world

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    It has bearing on how the truth is perceived and IF it is accepted.
    Accepted by who? People who have no background in the sciences and couldn't interpret the data even if they wanted to? Still doesn't change the data. Out of roughly 2000 peer reviewed studies, there is only ONE PERSON who has a dissenting opinion. ONE.

I agree there is a perception problem here, but the science is pretty clear.

On what planet does this take four hours? They assumed guilt and worked backwards. Hence... handled poorly.
    Such is life here in the U.S.A these days.

What I want to know is how in the world did homeland security get the mandate to police video theft? Somebody please explain to me how steeling video content poses any security risk to any country. I'm not advocating steeling video, I'm just dumbfounded as to why homeland security would even need to be involved in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    Such is life here in the U.S.A these days.

What I want to know is how in the world did homeland security get the mandate to police video theft? Somebody please explain to me how steeling video content poses any security risk to any country. I'm not advocating steeling video, I'm just dumbfounded as to why homeland security would even need to be involved in this area.
    Had they accepted they were prescription and checked the device right off the bat, they could have wrapped that up in 25 minutes. And that isn't even addressing the fact that this could be interpreted as an unlawful detention.

It's ICE, they are trying to stop international bootleggers. I see the connection, but it's pretty shakey.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Had they accepted they were prescription and checked the device right off the bat, they could have wrapped that up in 25 minutes. And that isn't even addressing the fact that this could be interpreted as an unlawful detention.

It's ICE, they are trying to stop international bootleggers. I see the connection, but it's pretty shakey.
    I totally agree that the interrogation went on way too long. It's an abuse of power in my opinion. The first question should have been show me what you recorded. Once they saw only photos and non bootleg data then the couple should have been released with an apology, free tickets and at least one get out of jail free card.

They have them that small? I was under the impression that the only working models were much more cumbersome and had power issues.
    I don't think they are that small and they are built into the mask IIRC.
    Just don't need tanks.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Accepted by who? People who have no background in the sciences and couldn't interpret the data even if they wanted to? Still doesn't change the data. Out of roughly 2000 peer reviewed studies, there is only ONE PERSON who has a dissenting opinion. ONE.

I agree there is a perception problem here, but the science is pretty clear.
    You need it to be accepted by those that matter, the masses.
    Remember, all it takes is for a science that is going against perceived "best interest" of the masses to be PERCEIVED as faulty for it to be discard.
    Right or wrong, it just is that way and "global warming" is a perfect example.

EX:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/env...ere-wrong.html

A leaked draft of a report by the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change is understood to concede that the computer predictions for global warming and the effects of carbon emissions have been proved to be inaccurate.
    The report, to be published later this month, is a six year assessment which is seen as the gospel of climate science and is cited to justify fuel taxes and subsidies for renewable energy.
    The “summary for policymakers” of the report, seen by the Mail on Sunday, states that the world is warming at a rate of 0.12C per decade since 1951, compared to a prediction of 0.13C per decade in their last assessment published in 2007.
    Other admission in the latest document include that forecast computers may not have taken enough notice of natural variability in the climate, therefore exaggerating the effect of increased carbon emissions on world temperatures.
    The governments which fund the IPCC have tabled 1,800 questions in relation to the report.
    One of the central issues is believed to be why the IPCC failed to account for the “pause” in global warming, which they admit that they did not predict in their computer models. Since 1997, world average temperatures have not shown any statistically significant increase.
    The summary also shows that scientist have now discovered that between 950 and 1250 AD, before the Industrial Revolution, parts of the world were as warm for decades at a time as they are now.
    Despite a 2012 draft stating that the world is at it’s warmest for 1,300 years, the latest document states: “'Surface temperature reconstructions show multi-decadal intervals during the Medieval Climate Anomaly (950-1250) that were in some regions as warm as in the late 20th Century.”
    The 2007 report included predictions of a decline in Antarctic sea ice, but the latest document does not explain why this year it is at a record high.
    The 2013 report states: “'Most models simulate a small decreasing trend in Antarctic sea ice extent, in contrast to the small increasing trend in observations ...
    “There is low confidence in the scientific understanding of the small observed increase in Antarctic sea ice extent.'
    The 2007 forecast for more intense hurricanes has also been ignored in the new document after this year was one of the quietest hurricane seasons in history.
    One of the report's authors, Professor Myles Allen, the director of Oxford University's Climate Research Network, has said that people should not look to the IPCC for a “bible” on climate change.
    Professor Allen, who admits “we need to look very carefully about what the IPCC does in future”, said that he could not comment on the report as it was still considered to be in its draft stages.
    However, he added: “It is a complete fantasy to think that you can compile an infallible or approximately infallible report, that is just not how science works.
    “It is not a bible, it is a scientific review, an assessment of the literature. Frankly both sides are seriously confused on how science works - the critics of the IPCC and the environmentalists who credit the IPCC as if it is the gospel."
    Scientist were constantly revising their research to account for new data, he said.
    Despite the uncertainties and contradictions, the IPCC insists that it is more confident than ever – 95 per cent certain - that global warming is mainly human’s fault.
    Next week 40 of the 250 authors who contributed to the report and representatives of most of the 195 governments that fund the IPCC will hold a meeting in Stockholm to discuss the finding to discuss any issues ahead of the publication. The body has insisted that this is not a crisis meeting but a pre-planned discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Remember, all it takes is for a science that is going against perceived "best interest" of the masses to be PERCEIVED as faulty for it to be discard.
    Right or wrong, it just is that way and "global warming" is a perfect example.
    Sure... and of course there is a need for better communication and to close the education gap so that the masses CAN understand and interpret the evidence rather than simply accept it as it's spoon fed to them by anyone with an agenda. It goes both ways too, of course.

Still doesn't change the numbers though. Is it possible we are misinterpreting the numbers? Sure, but it's better to follow the evidence rather than discount it cause you don't like what you see for whatever reason.

One thing we are all learning right now is that democracy is a VERY dangerous thing when the income and education gap gets too wide. But, with democracy, as a whole, we get exactly what we deserve.

That being said, most people believe, with or without the skills to interpret the data, that this phenomenon is real and we are a big part of it. Unless you live in a bubble, the majority do concur with the 99.99% of authors of peer reviewed papers on the subject.

And to be fair, most of those that believe in gw can't interpret the data any better than those who don't believe.

I have a science background and I am fortunate to be in regular contact with people who are in this field of study. But when it comes down to it, I'm taking their word for a lot of it(understand the context of this statement). I trust the source and I know they have no motivation to skew any results. They're my friends, I know what's in their heart. They show me their work, help me through what I don't understand and I take for granted that their data is honest. It's not perfect, but it's a whole lot different than the guy who yanks articles off the internets, goes to the heritage foundation website, or god forbid turns on cable news(I know that came off snotty, I wasn't refering to you. I like arguing with you). If someone is going to go against the grain like that they don't have to have a phd, but they should at least have the ability to interpret data and understand what they're looking at.

This is not an easy science. The variables are INSANE. We won't ever get it completely right, at least not anytime soon. But the broad trend is beyond obvious. I have a ton of respect for people who have the intelligence and patience to deal with that. I'm not the one. This is why I build machines. So simple compared to that stuff. To me anyways.

Scientist were constantly revising their research to account for new data
    Yeah, it's science. Anything less would just be uncivilized.
    This is how it's done. Anyone expecting a clear complete perfect picture is living in dreamland. That shit just ain't gonna happen.

That quote bothers me. I couldn't have found a better example of the problem myself. That says SO much about the lack of understanding when it comes to the scientific method. So much.

This just isn't how most scientists think. It's a real problem as far as funding is concerned in a democracy that generally has a poor understanding of the sciences in general.
    Last edited by Syn7; 01-23-2014 at 08:18 AM.

Also, I'm totally interested in the breathers if you have access to any info. I didn't know they had gotten passed the whole storage and power issue. I would love to look over some prints. There is a volume issue. You need to run a ton of water through to get enough oxygen for a person. How do you get that without either having a reasonable sized storage tank or by having a device suck through a shit ton of water for you to keep up with the demand, hence the power issue. Even the best batteries suck. And the smaller you get, the more they suck. It's a real issue that I am hoping may be helped by graphene and supercaps. I dunno, we'll see.
    Last edited by Syn7; 01-22-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    and at least one get out of jail free card.

Now there's a terrifying thought, lol.

What would you do if you had one? What is one law you have no moral reason to not break and would like the opportunity? That's a tough one. Most would probably say weed. Where I live, that simply isn't a concern. I don't feel the need to flaunt it, I'm happy with my before bed bong tokes. I'm not really a social smoker anyways. It's my version of destresser/sleeping pill. Sometimes I have trouble turning my brain off. I get stuck in analysis mode and it makes it hard to unwind and go to sleep(like now, you can probably tell I'm stoned from the rambling). As I age, it slowly becomes less and less a part of my life. I was a huge stoner as a kid though.

I think I would stop doing my taxes. Income tax sucks nads!

Also, I'm totally interested in the breathers if you have access to any info. I didn't know they had gotten passed the whole storage and power issue. I would love to look over some prints. There is a volume issue. You need to run a ton of water through to get enough oxygen for a person. How do you get that without either having a reasonable sized storage tank or by having a device suck through a shit ton of water for you to keep up with the demand, hence the power issue. Even the best batteries suck. And the smaller you get, the more they suck. It's a real issue that I am hoping may be helped by graphene and supercaps. I dunno, we'll see.
    The battery is the only real limitation at this point, but isn't that the case for much of our tech that relies on batteries. The device relies on future batteries with 30 times current capacity. Also, it really doesn't need to pull a lot of water through it. Rather than extracting O from H2O it works like fish gills which filter the O that is already present in the water.

Now there's a terrifying thought, lol.

What would you do if you had one? What is one law you have no moral reason to not break and would like the opportunity? That's a tough one. Most would probably say weed. Where I live, that simply isn't a concern. I don't feel the need to flaunt it, I'm happy with my before bed bong tokes. I'm not really a social smoker anyways. It's my version of destresser/sleeping pill. Sometimes I have trouble turning my brain off. I get stuck in analysis mode and it makes it hard to unwind and go to sleep(like now, you can probably tell I'm stoned from the rambling). As I age, it slowly becomes less and less a part of my life. I was a huge stoner as a kid though.

I think I would stop doing my taxes. Income tax sucks nads!

Now that is a question to ponder. Being that I now live in a state where they highly frown on one of my favorite proclivities I'd probably choose that. This topic could be a thread all on it's own, but I doubt many would participate. It's probably best if they didn't, because many of the responses might be kinda scary.

I don't wanna make a new thread for this, but I thought it was fun.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politi...#ixzz2rqWvb9y1

The sense of entitlement with this guy.... Too bad the reporter didn't actually have a pair. Would have been interesting to see what that asshole would have done if called on his words.

I don't wanna make a new thread for this, but I thought it was fun.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politi...#ixzz2rqWvb9y1

The sense of entitlement with this guy.... Too bad the reporter didn't actually have a pair. Would have been interesting to see what that asshole would have done if called on his words.
    "When you can keep your wits while all around you others lose theirs...."

Congressman speaking thugese. Reporting backing down.
    Interesting...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Its the military dude, they have crap that we'll get as "revolutionary" 10 years from now.