Thread: My knives are always falling.

My knives are always falling.

I've been practicing with the knives a lot of late.

The other day I really got into it and before I knew it, 90 mins had passed. Needless to say at this point my arms were very tired though extremely relaxed, to the point that they felt like they were floating on air.

It was in this tired state that I found my movements had to change, if were to continue with the practice. I found it easier to find the natural center of gravities and pivot points on the knife; I felt like I had to use gravity in my favour given the weight of the knife and my tired state. It felt like my knives were always falling and my movements became more crisp and defined.

Anyway, are there any existing diagrams or statements as to the different center of gravities and natural balance and pivot points on the knives, with respects to when they are in different positions? I am thinking here in terms of the type of diagrams and statements that we see in physics books (for 16-18 Yr olds and 1st year Uni students).

Just to add that, yes, I know balance and pivot points etc. will vary form knife to knife but there seems to be similarities across the spectrum of blades I have tried.

EDIT: I would like to also ask that if such diagrams don't exist, would people people find it useful if they were then provided?
    Last edited by Paddington; 04-10-2013 at 04:29 AM.

Such diagrams would not be useful to me, as that really isn't my learning style.

Also I doubt that such diagrams would translate across lineage lines. The Bart Cham Dao movements are taught very differently in different branches of WC, and (as you noted) the size, weight, shape and center of gravity, --even the placement and alignment of the handles of the knives all vary significantly.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SKM View Post
    The state that you are describing is called "pa hey", or 'extinguishing the breath' in Tibetan martial arts. It is a state of exhaustion where real training begins. Unlike the Western concept of 'warming up' to enhance performance, pa hey is an attempt to wear out the body to enhance performance. Pa hey is considered an almost meditative state in which new knowledge and new states of being can come into existence. This is an exciting discovery and I am happy that you discovered this knowledge.

Regarding diagrams that might enhance your training, here is a good one from the Hop Gar system that has some nice force vectoring that might be useful in your quest. All the best in training and in life.
    SKM

Hop Gar diagram

Thanks man! Going to go try to read up on Pa hey! Thanks for this lead mate!