Thread: Wing chun with 16 forms?

Wing chun with 16 forms?

Hi,

I saw a video about the Chan Wah Shun lineage of wing chun that had 16 forms of wing chun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G304i7ZnX4M

but did they change wing chun or did Ip Man Change wing chun?

thank you very much for the information.

kind regards,

kungfucasting

2. Ip man wasn't the heir of the school, so he wasn't taught everything, and he simplified what he was taught influenced by his encounters.
    "Deepest depth, Where one live with no light, No evil can escape my sticky tentacle, Beware the radiant octopus might !"

www.poulperadieux.com

Quote Originally Posted by T_Ray View Post
    Everyone changed Wing Chun... Its a dynamic living evolving system.
    Quote Originally Posted by poulperadieux View Post
    Ip man wasn't the heir of the school, so he wasn't taught everything, and he simplified what he was taught influenced by his encounters.
    thank you very much for the information

Quote Originally Posted by poulperadieux View Post
    Ip man wasn't the heir of the school, so he wasn't taught everything, and he simplified what he was taught influenced by his encounters.
    For what I know of Ip Man chun, particularly through Ip Chun, is that Wing Chun (I don't mean all wing chun) developed in a decidedly 'reductionist' direction. A lot of the changes I have seen and experienced seem more focused on how to better teach the core ideas in the most efficient manner, hence why I think the trend has been towards reductionism of late.
    Last edited by Paddington; 04-10-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    For what I know of Ip Man chun, particularly through Ip Chun, is that Wing Chun (I don't mean all wing chun) developed in a decidedly 'reductionist' direction. A lot of the changes I have seen and experienced seem more focused on how to better teach the core ideas in the most efficient manner, hence why I think the trend has been towards reductionism of late.
    This "reductionism" may have been a trend in WC going back a good deal before Yip Man, perhaps as far back as Leung Jan or even earlier. It's certainly consistent with the philosophy of this lineage. And, I find it a very appealing and practical philosophy.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Different lineages focused on different core elements and sometimes created forms to better address adaptations of core movements. Some lineages picked up forms from other systems and integrated them. Some lineages preserved their kung fu knowledge prior to learning Wing Chun.

We cannot say for certain that Yip Man didn't learn everything. It may be that Chan Wah Shun's heirs added in forms from other lineages, or styles.

What we can say for sure is that all Wing Chun is dynamic and evolving, even if the lineage focuses on differing aspects and techniques. What Grumblegeezer says is true, some lineages tend to reduce, rather than increase, which again hones their focus on the core techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Ray View Post

Also Ip Chun and Ip Ching have different knife and pole forms? ( as well as differences in their hand forms) So! Who taught them??
    Actually there are very few differences / almost none in the hand forms between the two brothers. The minor variations that do exist are easy to explain through a combination of build, personality, age and the fact that it has been decades since Ip Man died (hence a prolonged period of self correction and development). I believe that you claim lineage through a WSL lineage, WSL openly modified the forms after Ip Man's death and Ip Man himself was known to have taught the forms differently at different times of his life. Does it really come as such as surprise to you that after so long there are minor differences between Ip Man's students?

As to the pole forms and knife forms again, across all of the direct students of Ip Man I see common concepts being displayed and common movements. Some have more, some have less but the core concepts are there in all of them.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook