Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: traditional kung fu in michigan lansing

traditional kung fu in michigan lansing

hay guys,
    i may be going to schoos in lansing michigan, and i am wondering if anyone is from michigan, and knows any good kung fu teachers in.

i been in small town for 5 years and havent found any srs martial artists to train wit, other than tkd guys pretending to do muay thai. since lansing is a big city, i thought maybe there would be badass manly men of ultimate badasses, who train kung fu and not scare of death.
    Last edited by bawang; 04-12-2013 at 06:22 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    hay guys,
    i may be attending university in lansing michigan, and i am wondering if anyone is from michigan, and knows any good kung fu teachers in lansing.

i been in small town for 5 years and havent found any srs martial artists to train wit, other than tkd guys pretending to do muay thai. since lansing is a big city, i thought maybe there would be badass manly men of ultimate badasses, who train kung fu and not scare of death.
    Unfortunately I never found any traditional kung fu in Lansing. You can find good kung fu in Grand Rapids, Midland, and Ann Arbor (I never looked in Detroit, but there's probably some there)... all would require a bit of a commute. There's a few decent MMA clubs around you that regularly put people in fights if that's your thang.

I'm in Mt. Pleasant / Midland area now and that's about an hour from you.

Yeah, if you don't get out of your house and go meet people and train with them, it's not going to happen for you again there. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

You need to try this place. http://www.yelp.ca/biz/the-kung-fu-lansing you need to be diligent though as they don't look like a place to train kung fu and they may even tell you that but don't let that discourage you. Most likely you'll have to kneel at the front steps for several days to show your sincerity and then they may take you in.

Good luck in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Yeah, if you don't get out of your house and go meet people and train with them, it's not going to happen for you again there. lol
    i have met plenty, but they are insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    You need to try this place. http://www.yelp.ca/biz/the-kung-fu-lansing you need to be diligent though as they don't look like a place to train kung fu and they may even tell you that but don't let that discourage you. Most likely you'll have to kneel at the front steps for several days to show your sincerity and then they may take you in.

Good luck in your search.
    thank you sir, it looks like a very magical place full of magical adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Unfortunately I never found any traditional kung fu in Lansing. You can find good kung fu in Grand Rapids, Midland, and Ann Arbor (I never looked in Detroit, but there's probably some there)... all would require a bit of a commute. There's a few decent MMA clubs around you that regularly put people in fights if that's your thang.

I'm in Mt. Pleasant / Midland area now and that's about an hour from you.
    no traditional kung fu in lansing? ill prolly find a mma club then.
    do u think i can teach traditional kung fu on the side?

There is only one true traditional Kung Fu school in Michigan. The great-grandmaster is descended from the only true Showlyn (they spell it that way because that is the true way it was spelled in ancient China 3,000 years ago) lineage that exists. Everything else is girly wushu made for dancing with women and fighting midgets.

Of course you could always move to a real state like utah where you can learn Kung Fu from your 8 wives, all of whom are would be your deadly assassin body guards.

how can lansing not have kung fu people? doesnt it have over 500 thousand people?

i have met plenty, but they are insane.
    I believe you.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I do not know if there are still traditional teachers but I met a few in the Ann Arbor area when I was doing post graduate work at Eastern Michigan in 1985. Most of my colleagues moved away from the area around 1990 ???
    Last edited by mawali; 04-12-2013 at 07:38 AM.

No doubt yes - find the University Asian Club and see about starting a subgroup and have them sponsor you. There may very well be a club in the university already.

If you're looking a MMA, Tyrone Gooden comes highly regarded in the local BJJ/MMA community there.

No doubt yes - find the University Asian Club and see about starting a subgroup and have them sponsor you. There may very well be a club in the university already.

If you're looking a MMA, Tyrone Gooden comes highly regarded in the local BJJ/MMA community there.
    didnt u say ur working at a university mang? which one u at?

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    I do not know if there are still traditional teachers but I met a few in the Ann Arbor area when I was doing post graduate work at Eastern Michigan in 1985. Most of my colleagues moved away from the area around 1990 ???
    is this ann arbor also know as "anabo"? i heard some immigrants talking about a place called anabo.
    Last edited by bawang; 04-12-2013 at 07:49 AM.

didnt u say ur working at a university mang? which one u at?
    I'm at Central Michigan University in Mt. Pleasant (there's no mountain).

I think you should definitely train at a MMA club and seriously consider teaching traditional Kung Fu especially since there doesn't seem to be any in the area. I'm mostly a traditionalist but I used to roll and spar all the time at a local MMA club in the town I trained in Sil Lum. I found it extremely helpful since I like to spar hard. It's not that we didn't spar hard in our school, it's just that sparring amature to pro fighters adds a whole different dimension to the match. Trust me, you'll learn a lot by doing this and it may also help to validate your Kung Fu with the MMA crowd. The guys at the MMA school respect our Kung Fu school just as much as we respect them. It also brought a bunch of them into our seminars so if dollars are also a motivation then it couldn't hurt.
    Last edited by GoldenBrain; 04-12-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Dude, just because bawang's Chinese heritage doesn't mean you need to send him strictly to an Asian Club. That's effed up!!