Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Green Dragon's Iron Vest

Green Dragon's Iron Vest

Has anyone done this program?

Did you get the invulnerability in the small area of your torso they talk about? Did it expand to a bigger area over time?

Did you notice any other benefits that are traditionally attributed to internal sets like health or vitality or mood or anything like that?

I am talking specifically about the Iron Vest set as taught by Gene Chicoine of Green Dragon Studios.
    "If Ashida wished you to know his real name, I am sure he would write to you and tell you himself." --Danny Sainty

"So, you supposed martial artists, what are you trining for? Who are you training to fight? Apparently no one. Because even in a hypothetical situation, you puss out, Ha! Ha!" --Ashida Kim

GM Chicoine is NOT part of the Green Dragon studios.
    Just to make it clear.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Just to make it clear.
    Except that he is John R. Allen's Sifu and it is Allen who runs the Green Dragon school.

Otherwise Chicoine is more known for his SC under GM Chang. Despite the Iron skills he got elsewhere.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Except that he is John R. Allen's Sifu and it is Allen who runs the Green Dragon school.

Otherwise Chicoine is more known for his SC under GM Chang. Despite the Iron skills he got elsewhere.
    Yep.
    Now, does Allen recognize Chicoine as his sifu? or would he say they both learned it from Freeman Ong?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Yep.
    Now, does Allen recognize Chicoine as his sifu? or would he say they both learned it from Freeman Ong?
    I don't really know as I don't have much invested in their Kung Fu so much as I do my own. I was merely stating a fact in passing.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by I Hate Ashida Kim View Post
    Has anyone done this program?

Did you get the invulnerability in the small area of your torso they talk about? Did it expand to a bigger area over time?

Did you notice any other benefits that are traditionally attributed to internal sets like health or vitality or mood or anything like that?

I am talking specifically about the Iron Vest set as taught by Gene Chicoine of Green Dragon Studios.

One of my shuai chiao classmates began the Body training about five months ago.

I noticed the hardness in his abs one day while grabbing him for a hip throw.

Seems to be working for him. But, then it's an hour a day...every day. Which is why i haven't trained it yet. Yet.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post

Seems to be working for him. But, then it's an hour a day...every day. Which is why i haven't trained it yet. Yet.
    protip: legit iron shirt doesnt take one hour

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post

At 72 reps it does.

72 reps for the first year, 36 for the second.
    Quote:

I hate saying this, but in this case, I agree with Bawang. It doesn't have to take very long, but the method you guys are discussing sounds like it does.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    I hate saying this, but in this case, I agree with Bawang. It doesn't have to take very long, but the method you guys are discussing sounds like it does.

Well, if 36 reps is good, then 72 reps ought to be better.

At any rate....anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that what my classmate is doing is generating results.
    Quote:

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post

How much time per day did you devote to Body training?
    Quote:

I didn't say that it didn't work, just that it is not the standard that all iron body training should be measured by.

1. Pro boxers have some amazing iron body training, they do not spend 1 hour a day on it.
    2. It is possible to train iron body integrated with exercises that do other things.
    3. The parts of my training that I would say are primarily devoted to developing iron body take around 20 minutes per day.
    4. Iron body is primarily in the beginning learning to take pain, toughen the tissues of the body, and learning how to use the breath, muscles and abdominal pressure to change what happens when you get hit. Later you can begin playing with how the force travels into and out of your body, which sounds cool but can probably be learned fastest by getting hit, no need for a long explanation.
    -Golden Arms-

Just to make it clear.
    I have the Green Dragon Iron Vest tape. Gene Chicoine is the person demonstrating it.

I'm not saying he is or isn't part of Green Dragon Studios. I'm just saying he's the one who does the form on the Green Dragon Iron Vest tape.

Maybe it was a guest lecture or something. I haven't watched it in years and I've never done the set.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    I didn't say that it didn't work, just that it is not the standard that all iron body training should be measured by.

1. Pro boxers have some amazing iron body training, they do not spend 1 hour a day on it.
    2. It is possible to train iron body integrated with exercises that do other things.
    3. The parts of my training that I would say are primarily devoted to developing iron body take around 20 minutes per day.
    4. Iron body is primarily in the beginning learning to take pain, toughen the tissues of the body, and learning how to use the breath, muscles and abdominal pressure to change what happens when you get hit. Later you can begin playing with how the force travels into and out of your body, which sounds cool but can probably be learned fastest by getting hit, no need for a long explanation.
    I'd agree with most of this.

I have (and have done) Wing Lam's iron body program. It involves hitting yourself with either your arms/hands/feet and/or iron body bags. The actual hitting part only takes a minute or two. The rest of the time is made up of qigong type stuff (which may or may not have anything to do with the results) and self-massage dit da jow application (which almost assuredly does have something to do with the results).

Like I said, I haven't seen the Green Dragon Iron Vest tape in years but I don't remember any hitting on it. I seem to remember it just being some postures and movements that are supposed to make you invulnerable. IIRC it said after the first 100 days you will be invulnerable in a little area in the center of your body that will expand outward over time. IIRC it's qi power that is protecting you because there is no emphasis on muscle contractions or actual body hardening the way there is in Wing Lam's Iron Body program.

Now I want to go watch the Iron Vest tape again. This is what I remember from literally 8+ years ago when I saw it.

I can't remember if there were any special rules for Green Dragon's Iron Vest like no sex for 100 days or if you have to take a special pill or something. Actually, I think it did originally come with an herbal pill you're supposed to take for the first 100 days (or am I thinking of their Iron Palm program?). I think someone else told me that that pill is just the equivalent of drinking a gallon of water per day anyway and it was just supposed to purify your body or something. I dunno, man.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    I'd agree with most of this.

I have (and have done) Wing Lam's iron body program. It involves hitting yourself with either your arms/hands/feet and/or iron body bags. The actual hitting part only takes a minute or two. The rest of the time is made up of qigong type stuff (which may or may not have anything to do with the results) and self-massage dit da jow application (which almost assuredly does have something to do with the results).

this is the legit method

wing lams method is generic northern kung fu protocol
    Last edited by bawang; 04-15-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC