Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Green Dragon's Iron Vest

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    If I recall, IW trained under Chicoine, so IF he did IV ( and I don't k now if IW did) his would be the "old school" type I assume.
    So...
    there is no such thing as an iron shirt program without hitting yourself. is chicoine jesus christ himself?

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    there is no such thing as an iron shirt program without hitting yourself. is chicoine jesus christ himself?
    My point is that, from what I gather, they do hit themselves and each other as part of the training.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

IW = Iron Weasel cause I am too lazy to type out your whole screen name

Lol....

Yes, I still train under Chicoine. I'll see him in class tonight.

But now...it's lunch time.

/brb
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

My point is that, from what I gather, they do hit themselves and each other as part of the training.
    if its really that way then there was no point in this thread. if you hit yourself your get tougher, no way.

but obviously they are trying to present it as something mysterious and magical. if shirt vest isnt sold as something special there wouldnt be arguments about it.

if its really that way then there was no point in this thread. if you hit yourself your get tougher, no way.

but obviously they are trying to present it as something mysterious and magical. if shirt vest isnt sold as something special there wouldnt be arguments about it.
    You guys just talked past each other, that's all.

Like mooyingmantis mentioned in the 2nd page of this thread, Chicoine and Allen learned from Ong and Ong's IB involved striking the body.

You guys just talked past each other, that's all.

Like mooyingmantis mentioned in the 2nd page of this thread, Chicoine and Allen learned from Ong and Ong's IB involved striking the body.
    since green dragon takes their "stone warrior" very seriously, then you can prolly expect the same quality with everything else they teach.
    Last edited by bawang; 04-18-2013 at 11:34 AM.

A few years of hard ukemi is better iron vest than any fakey qigong.

Now I'm curious to watch the video again.

It's at my parents' house, though, so I won't be able to see it until I go visit them.

Plus it's on VHS and I don't even have a VCR. Fortunately, they do.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

...but obviously they are trying to present it as something mysterious and magical. if shirt vest isnt sold as something special there wouldnt be arguments about it.
    I have never seen Allen's tape, so I can't comment on it.

However, Ong's Iron Body, as I received it from two teachers under him, consisted of exercises, breathing and body striking. I was never taught anything "mysterious and magical".
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

It seems to me that a lot of the "secret teachings" end up being stuff that is common sense but not "given up" readily.
    In regards to IV, it seems that what is put OUT is the moves and such but what is "secret" are the parts that involve getting hit.

It seems to me that a lot of the "secret teachings" end up being stuff that is common sense but not "given up" readily.
    In regards to IV, it seems that what is put OUT is the moves and such but what is "secret" are the parts that involve getting hit.
    It's information that when applied, produces results.

If you don't have the information, then you don't have it.

Like anything, say HTML as an example. If you don't know the syntax and order of code to produce the desired result, you won't get any results.

Our bodies are anything but "simple".
    Kung Fu is good for you.

what do u think iron vest training involves?
    Short answer: Protein synthesis and bone mineralization. Its pretty simple really. I don't know why people think its that special.

Expanded: You can throw in the body awareness/anatomical response mechanisms that SR mentioned (and I did in my 1st post for that matter). But I think now we're getting into a realm where revisionists are trying to co-opt on things after the fact. Either you put that into iron body training AND admit that any other contact sport trains iron body. Or you say that since kung fu'ers spar (presumably) throughout history but iron body was something more and different. You can't have it both ways. The logic nazi in me has to call that out. Unless of course someone (not you specifically) is trying to argue that sparring doesn't teach you how to appropriately apply muscular tension and breathing with technical redirection of force. And that'd just be ridiculous to say.

Personally, I'm concerned about the physiological changes that the exercise brings. That's where you separate bullshit from reality. The reality is none of this is special and gweilo have been doing it for decades without knowing.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Our bodies are anything but "simple".
    I think they can pretty simple at times, actually
    Last edited by SoCo KungFu; 04-21-2013 at 11:56 PM.

There is no particular hitting of the body in the IV training I learned, not to say there isn’t any hitting of the body in other training or sparing. Now maybe I wasn’t taught that side of it, I don’t know. I spent many years with the guy and he never said anything and to be honest I never asked.

Definitely nothing magical or special about it and Yes I believe many other sports athletes have been doing it all these years just in different ways and not even knowing it.
    It's not what you know, but who's first with the best.

Some Iron Body/Vest protocols use twisting to bring about the changes. I know of a few people that used breathing belts or slept with rocks/weights on their stomachs to develop some of it as well. As was stated before, I think all of the programs are helped along by taking hits, but taking hits is not the sole method of developing these abilities.
    -Golden Arms-