Weight lifting is for pussies:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX7p3jfr0mA

Quote Originally Posted by Sardinkahnikov View Post
    Weight lifting is for pussies:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX7p3jfr0mA
    I knew this girl that...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    In short we have different types of strength:

Pure strength - how much we can lift
    Endurance strength - how many times we can lift it
    Speed strength - How fast we can lift it or, more correctly, how fast we can do any given movement.

The above are very general descriptions of course.
    This is true, but if you are talking to a person who's never done a proper strength training regimen, worrying about the differences is really out of order. If they think that pushups and stance training is somehow comparable to weightlifting, it's a bit like an obese person worrying about what supplements to take. "Pure strength" is basis for all else.

I think where a lot of the 'dont lift weights' crowd stems from may not always be more than just a tradition, but those traditions, from what ive seen/exerienced usually stem from:

disconnected body movements. sometimes you get really strong guys who are new to martial arts, and while they are strong, they have build their strength entirely out of targeted movements, and have not as of yet attained that full body movement unity that you seek in the martial arts. especially focused on in internal arts from day one. thats why this is more often than not an internal outlook. guys like that, from my experience, have a hard time re training their bodies to not move in a disconnected fashion.

Most of all the strength conditioning you do in an internal martial art style are all aimed at using your entire body as a single unit. from the very beginning, and have a very strong emphasis on this for the entirety of your training. in addition, these conditioning practices are aimed directly at application and usage of the style itself.

this is not to say that lifting is bad in anyway. i believe in lifting. but this is really where it comes from. so while this guy may be big, and strong, he is new to martial arts, and is not able to fully utilize his strength in martial application, because he has spent so many years training his body to move in these isolated sections, he now has to re-train his body to move for his new activity.

of course it really depends on WHAT TYPE of training regime they have been in.

This is NOT the case for all people who go from years of lifting to starting martial arts.

anywho, i just thot i'd drop my 2 cents by, probably not worth much but this is my take on the whole 'lifting is bad' ordeal. just based off of my personal observations.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I think where a lot of the 'dont lift weights' crowd stems from may not always be more than just a tradition, but those traditions, from what ive seen/exerienced usually stem from:

it doesnt matter if weight lifting is bad or good for kung fu. traditional kung fu lift weights. if you want to follow tradition, lift weights.
    Last edited by bawang; 04-17-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post

disconnected body movements. sometimes you get really strong guys who are new to martial arts, and while they are strong, they have build their strength entirely out of targeted movements, and have not as of yet attained that full body movement unity that you seek in the martial arts. especially focused on in internal arts from day one. thats why this is more often than not an internal outlook. guys like that, from my experience, have a hard time re training their bodies to not move in a disconnected fashion.

Most of all the strength conditioning you do in an internal martial art style are all aimed at using your entire body as a single unit. from the very beginning, and have a very strong emphasis on this for the entirety of your training. in addition, these conditioning practices are aimed directly at application and usage of the style itself.

this is not to say that lifting is bad in anyway. i believe in lifting. but this is really where it comes from. so while this guy may be big, and strong, he is new to martial arts, and is not able to fully utilize his strength in martial application, because he has spent so many years training his body to move in these isolated sections, he now has to re-train his body to move for his new activity.

of course it really depends on WHAT TYPE of training regime they have been in.

This is NOT the case for all people who go from years of lifting to starting martial arts.

anywho, i just thot i'd drop my 2 cents by, probably not worth much but this is my take on the whole 'lifting is bad' ordeal. just based off of my personal observations.
    All those points are, as you know, based on misconceptions.
    Many of them propagated by people that are trying to sell that "size doesn't matter" to their very naive students.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    it doesnt matter if weight lifting is bad or good for kung fu. traditional kung fu lift weights. if you want to follow tradition, lift weights.
    You're lying....

That was developed via standing in a horse stance and doing qigong

What are those round things on the bottom right corner of the photo?

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    Ancient TCMA qigong training devices used to help the circulation of chi through the body.

Ancient TCMA qigong training devices used to help the circulation of chi through the body.
    LMAO the first time i ever learned about heavy negatives to increase max strength was from my first kung fu master, who had been using in on the bench and squat with his fighters since the 70's lol,

I thot they were ghosts.

in other news....I heard lifting weights is bad for you.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    looks like giant black oriental cakes.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Forgive my ignorance

I have always been curious if it would be more conducive to target the resistance to the movements of a martial artist.

Example: A martial artist punching and kicking using wrist weights or resistance bands or kicking. Would this not build both strength and speed?
    Learn more ways to preserve rather than destroy. Avoid rather than check. Check rather than hurt. Hurt rather than maim. Maim rather than kill. For all life is precious nor can any be replaced.

It would, but only to a certain degree. You can only have so much weight added to your limbs before you break proper form and structure of a given technique. so while you can add weight to your limbs during training (you still have to be careful not to injure your self) you would need to at a certain point use some form of weight training to increase your strength further.

if you bench 350, you wont be standing there with 175 on each arm punching. but since punching is a full body activity, you need to do more than just bench so that the rest of yoru body is up to speed for maximum punching power.