Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guandu Shaolin Temple

Guandu Shaolin Temple

For those of you who don't know, the Guandu Shaolin Temple is a new-ish (2008) project by Shaolin. Guandu is an 'Old Town' on the edge of Kunming, capital of Yunan Province in China.

As of 2008, Shaolin has taken over the management of a cluster of four temples there, now known collectively as The Guandu Shaolin Temple.

Though there is already some discussion of the temple on other threads, I'd like to dedicate this thread to any further discussion of the temple.

I am currently living in Kunming and training at the Guandu Shaolin Temple, so if any of you have any questions please ask. Hopefully I can be of service.

Other threads

There has currently been some discussion of the Guandu Shaolin temple on the thread entitled "Economic State of Shaolin Temple Today" : http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...t=42957&page=4
    And on my thread about living in Kunming, "In Kunming" : http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=64408

Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine Articles

There is also an article about the Guandu Shaolin Temples in the current May/June Shaolin Special, "Shaolin in Spring City." This article includes an interview with Shi Yanbei who is heading the project. http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/maga...p?article=1088

And there is also an ezine article I wrote about my personal experiences training at the temple, entitled "The Shaolin Temple You've Never Heard Of," here: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezin...p?article=1092
    Last edited by ShaolinDan; 04-15-2013 at 10:50 PM.

A little about Guandu

Guandu Ancient Town or Guandu Guzhen (官渡古镇) is Kunming's 'Old Town.'

For those of you who have not traveled in China, 'Old Towns' of varying size, beauty, and authenticity are common throughout China. Typically (as is the case with Guandu), the old town will be a sectioned off neighborhood of the city, blessedly free of cars (unfortunately not ebikes), consisting of old and old-style buildings. As tourist attractions you can count on an 'Old Town' to have lots of yummy food and lots of shopping, particularly small street-side venders selling local goods.

The Guandu Ancient Town is fairly small, but is pretty packed with temples, pagodas, and other old buildings. It's also a lot less expensive than downtown Kunming. For example I once had a five course dinner there (including four beers) with two local friends of mine for 85 RMB...about $13. The same meal in city center would have cost about twice as much.

Although frequented by local tourists, Guandu Ancient Town is off the map for western tourists. I've been spending one full day (early morning to evening) there a week for several months now, and have only once seen any other foreigners there (aside from the few I've brought to the temple with me).

Between the lack of cars, the lack of foreigners, and the traditional architecture, the Guandu Ancient Town feels more like the China of our period-piece-kung-fu-movie-tainted-minds than anywhere else I've been so far. Of course it doesn't hurt to have a kung fu temple there as well.

Pictures from Guandu

Here are some photographs I took in Guandu:

Temple Facades

Here are pics of the four temples comprising Guandu Shaolin:
    Miaozhan Temple (妙湛寺)
    Attachment 7413
    Attachment 7414
    Tuzhou Temple (土主庙)
    Attachment 7415
    Fading Temple (法定寺)
    Attachment 7416
    Guanyin Temple (观音寺)
    Attachment 7417

Inside the Temples

Wow. I have a ton of photos to post. Not going to post them all today, need an excuse to ttt this thread after all, but here are some pictures from inside the temples.

Kung Fu

And we'll finish off for today with some kung fu pictures. More to come later.
    A young monk strikes a pose:
    Attachment 7423
    Shi Heng Gang (释恒港) demonstrates Shaolin Taiji:
    Attachment 7424
    And my teacher here, Shi Yanxun (释延讯):
    Attachment 7426

Thanks for sharing

I love that Altar Weapon Rack in post 9. I've always thought there would be an interesting research piece in Altar Weapons, as they are symbolic, not practical, and probably the origin of many of the more exotic Chinese weapons.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Great photos...keep them coming!

I really enjoyed the article and that place looks amazing with great weather, man i'd love to be somewhere with decent weather right now....

Thanks guys!

Yeah, Brule, the weather here is really nice...dry though, need a lot of hand lotion and lip balm.

It's been wonderful to miss the Massachusetts winter.

Yin and Yang

Sometimes the temple is a very peaceful place (that's my knee):
    Attachment 7456

And sometimes it isn't :
    Attachment 7457