Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston Marathon Bombings

Boston Marathon Bombings

One of my kid's classmates ran the marathon with his family. They were already leaving when the bombs went off. They heard them explode.

Stamford's Ryan Matherne Uses Martial Arts To Plan For Marathon
    by Tom Renner Sports 04/12/13

Stamford's Ryan Matherne, running in a previous adventure race, will run the Boston Marathon on Monday to raise money for the Connecticut Challenge. Photo Credit: Contributed by Ryan Matherne

STAMFORD, Conn. – Stamford’s Ryan Matherne is quick to tell you that martial arts benefits runners.

Matherne, a martial arts instructor for 12 years who works at The Dojo in Stamford, will run Monday’s Boston Marathon to raise money for the Connecticut Challenge. Readers can donate through his fundraising page. He has raised more than $2,000 so far.

The race will be Matherne’s 15th marathon and his first Boston. He is on a quest to run a marathon in every state. His most recent one was in Virginia last month. He believes his martial arts training goes a long way toward establishing the mental strength to push through at endurance races.

“I’ve had some races where my body is telling me I was not built to do this,’’ Matherne said. “After 2 or 3 miles, my body is telling me it’s time to stop. The martial arts training has given me this whole don’t quit mentality.”

Although Matherne believes martial arts helps runners, he finds runners are reluctant to reciprocate and try martial arts. “I tell a lot of runners that it could help them,’’ he said. “It’s so well-suited for running. I think the flexibility and athleticism in martial arts builds a more durable body.”

Matherne’s first love is martial arts. He owns two black belts and competed on a demonstration team at the National Collegiate Takekwondo Championship at the University of Bridgeport in 2004. He also has a background in theater, including an appearance at the Curtain Call in Stamford.

He has participated in a variety of endurance events, including the Ironman Texas in 2011, the Empire State Building Run-Up and the Gran Fondo Philadelphia Bike Ride. In 2010, he ran the Rock ‘n’ Roll Mardi Gras Marathon barefoot. In October, he will run a 50-mile ultramarathon in Pennsylvania.

Jon Stellwagen, who recruits endurance athletes to race for the Connecticut Challenge, reached out to Matherne two months ago to see whether he had an interest in racing in Boston. Matherne, who was already training for an Ironman race next month, jumped at the chance.

“When I first found out about it, I didn’t think about the charity aspect of it too much,’’ he said. “I researched it and found out what the charity was doing, and it’s for a terrific cause in helping cancer survivors. I had done some fundraising races before, but nothing of this magnitude.”

Matherne raced a lot last year, running in everything from the Ironman U.S. Championship in New York to an obstacle race in Massachusetts. He’s looking forward to Boston, with its rich history, huge field and fabulous spectators.

“For me it’s a bucket list race,’’ he said. “I knew I would never there with a qualifying time. When the opportunity to came to do it for such a good cause, I couldn’t wait to get the chance. I think it’s going to be awesome.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I sad day and a truly pathetic act of terrorism.
    Like Michael Cain as Alfred said in The Dark Knight, " Some people just like to watch the world burn".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I'm wondering who did it. Doesn't appear to be the usual suspects.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

They've made an arrest so...

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    They've made an arrest so...
    Nope...Just a suspect identified. No arrests.

You can almost bet the house this was domestic. Patriots day, in Boston, on the day Income Taxes are due...

Anyone know where 1Bad65 was on Monday?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Nope...Just a suspect identified. No arrests.

You can almost bet the house this was domestic. Patriots day, in Boston, on the day Income Taxes are due...

Anyone know where 1Bad65 was on Monday?
    Ah, the media...
    When I posted that they said there was an arrest, not there isn't...
    Typical media crap, always trying to be the first to break a story.

It has been a tense week in the USA, it seems; somebody sent Obama a letter containing ricin. Probably not the first time it happens, but the timing is, well, interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22190031

A saudi guy was running from the blast, like everyone else, and of course he was tackled and questioned. He was just a student, I think. That's the arrest people were talking about yesterday. Just racial profiling gone wrong. Far as I know they let him go on his not so merry way. We already have douchebag right wing pundits calling for the destruction of all muslims.

My best guess is that it was rightwing extremists/libertarian extremist types. Looks like their m.o... but who knows. Best to just sit tight and wait. It's sad how we turn on each other when stuff like this happens. I feel sorry for all the people who have or are about to have their rights pissed on during this investigation.

People need to understand, this is a law enforcement issue, not a military one. Seems some people don't understand the difference. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardinkahnikov View Post
    It has been a tense week in the USA, it seems; somebody sent Obama a letter containing ricin. Probably not the first time it happens, but the timing is, well, interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22190031
    I heard that a nobody Mississippi senator named Roger Wicker(R) was sent ricin. Didn't hear that it was sent to Obama too. Who is that stupid though? Did they think he opens his own mail? or that anything addressed to anyone in any position of power doesn't have their mail screened?

my heart goes out to the victims. im just glad there wasnt that much life lost.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Like Michael Cain as Alfred said in The Dark Knight, " Some people just like to watch the world burn".
    batman "how did you finally catch him"

Afred "we burned the forest down."
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Prayers and sympathy for the victims and their loved ones

Guess it's been a real tough week in the States. Too much terrible news. Used to go watch the Boston Marathon as a kid, really makes me sad.

Boston Bomber's Trained MMA

Wai Kru gym in Boston.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman