Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hook

Hook

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNmOUIK7bIM

Yes, he knows it's coming, and yes it is telegraphed regardless... but still I like it.

Footwork is the same as that used after the slant kick (the last kick) in our Chum Kiu form.
    No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

That's not a hook.
    Just saying.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

better to step forwards instead of turning, hit with right hand and cover with tan or biu/man sau. For telegraphed swings/hooks I like to emphaiss hitting first. IMHO

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T England View Post
    better to step forwards instead of turning, hit with right hand and cover with tan or biu/man sau. For telegraphed swings/hooks I like to emphaiss hitting first. IMHO

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk
    Agreed! Though he is stepping forward, forward and then shifting weight.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That's not a hook.
    Just saying.
    Okay, telegraphed curving horizontal haymaker type thingy

Edit: Plus, groovy Kung Fu sound effect
    Last edited by BPWT; 04-18-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have not seen anybody who can use his left Tan Shou to block a right "haymaker" yet. It's possible to block it with your right Tan Shou if you also turn with your body. If you use your left arm to block it, that "haymaker" will go through your block and still hit your head. If his opponent spins his body by using the "stealing step" to delieve that "right" haymaker, not only his body is spinned out of his opponent's incoming striking path, trying to block it with "left" arm is almost impossible. There are just too much body weight behind that powerful haymaker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubEiq...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-18-2013 at 04:48 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

In the clip I posted his left hand is not blocking, simply 'checking'. If he'd stood still, then he'd have to block - literally use his left hand to stop the blow... But that would not be very 'Wing Tsunny'.

His step in, weight shift and strike is the counter - his left hand motion is a way of using fook sau, so controlling.

YKW is correct - tan vs. haymaker/hook won't work most of the time if the puncher has any idea what he's doing.

IMO, what's shown in the clip is lucky timeframe fighting and will either simply not stop the 'haymaker' (agreed - not even close to a hook) and he'll get hit by it when it crashes thru his no fwd energy check/'block', or he'll get eaten up by the follow up cross from the other hand since he just leaned into that side.

Unfortunately, this is the problem with demos like this. The attacker isn't really trying to take the defender's head off, nor is he using any type of follow up attack that the defender has to worry about. Which usually leads to people believeing that this type of stuff actually works against agressive, high energy attacks - which most of the time it won't (at least, not as shown here).
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    YKW is correct - tan vs. haymaker/hook won't work most of the time if the puncher has any idea what he's doing.

IMO, what's shown in the clip is lucky timeframe fighting and will either simply not stop the 'haymaker' (agreed - not even close to a hook) and he'll get hit by it when it crashes thru his no fwd energy check/'block', or he'll get eaten up by the follow up cross from the other hand since he just leaned into that side.

Unfortunately, this is the problem with demos like this. The attacker isn't really trying to take the defender's head off, nor is he using any type of follow up attack that the defender has to worry about. Which usually leads to people believeing that this type of stuff actually works against agressive, high energy attacks - which most of the time it won't (at least, not as shown here).
    For sure, it is a demo and there are inherent problems with this, by its very nature (which could be said for just about all demos).

For what it's worth, I've used this when some idiot actually threw a punch like this at me - though he was more square on, so I'd argue he had more option to follow up with a second strike. In my case, I punched into the side of his neck. He wobbled to his side and then two guys jumped in to stop things escalating.

I have no idea of how skilled he was/wasn't - so probably not a pro fighter

But it worked for me - which is the point, after all.

Oh, and the whole thing was my fault. Talking to a friend as we walked to the bar, bumped into this guy and he dropped his drink down his jeans.

And no, I didn't buy him another as I didn't hang around. Went to another bar where I was more careful to watch where I was going

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post
    In the clip I posted his left hand is not blocking, simply 'checking'. If he'd stood still, then he'd have to block - literally use his left hand to stop the blow... But that would not be very 'Wing Tsunny'.

His step in, weight shift and strike is the counter - his left hand motion is a way of using fook sau, so controlling.
    ... freeze and slowly advance the frames, shows his fingers wrapped around the forearm, looks more like an lop sao to me.
    Last edited by wtxs; 04-18-2013 at 01:00 PM.

Could be, I guess... on my phone I can't slow it down, and at just 4 seconds...

But it doesn't really matter, I suppose - the step and punch are really the key elements.

Your fook/lap doesn't block/stop the attacker's punch, your forward movement + punch does the work.
    Last edited by BPWT; 04-18-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Clarity

Could be, I guess... on my phone I can't slow it down, and at just 4 seconds...

But it doesn't really matter, I suppose - the step and punch are really the key elements.

Your fook/lap doesn't block/stop the attacker's punch, your forward movement + punch does the work.
    --------------------------------------------------- Another one of those endless discussions.
    Some opinions.
    1. It's not a hook-it's a telegraphed swing.
    2. Good wing chun is not about a specified bock against a specified attack.
    3 Timing, stance, turning and stepping and the individual's decisiveness matter.
    4. there are huge differences on those items in wing chun development.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    --------------------------------------------------- Another one of those endless discussions.
    Some opinions.

2. Good wing chun is not about a specified bock against a specified attack.
    Indeed. Though sometimes seeing the 'technique' is the starting point for talking about something. Alternatively we could see the clip via the ideas inside it. E.g. Attacking the weak side, moving into 'empty' space, borrowing force, attacking/maintaining center, etc.

Blog Entries
    I strongly suggest you to try this on your opponent as the following:

- Your opponent steps in and punches at your face.
    - You spin your body to let your body to pull your arm with a haymaker (make sure that haymaker is going 45 degree downward).

If your

- right haymaker can knock your opponent's body off balance, you give yourself a "+1".
    - your opponent's jab can hit your face, you give yourself a "-1".

After 20 tries, you will find out that you are probably on the positive side than on the negative side.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument