Well if you try to adapt your WC to boxing rules. You will be at big disadvantage. Boxing doesn't use forward pressure or forward springy force...So the whole moving in constantly putting pressure on your opponent would be seen as pushing them back and not allowing them strike. The key in WC is aggressively attacking and controlling. With Boxing gloves you will find the controlling aspect to be nullified alot except for your occasional bong sau and adapted pak or tan sau...But all in all. The major principle of forward pressure and sticking and moving into your opponent space an attacking their balance is a big no no in Boxing rules. Basically you want to stick and move, circle around your opponent, an fade away. all the while timing him for a haymaker jaw breaker. If thats your training in boxing.

AS for taking an hit with outsparring. I don't really know? There are other drills WE do where you practice defending with one hand...Which in turn you will get hit alot at first, Blind fold techinque chi sau....an Actual contact chi sau...But again its not Sparring. So you will be at a disadvantage if you free spar with someone of another style. I just recently last year sparred with some wing chun guys from another lineage...MOST of WC training i have always sparred boxers, Muay Thai, and Karate and street fighters....I found sparring the WC guys was different since i was a guess an was basically trying to be passive an let them dominate.

I found that most had no idea outside of chi sau how to spar. At first I started dominating but when i realize it was just me hitting an them getting hit...I stop that s%#* and let them attack. Purely NO aggression at all. Save the instructors who actually could bring the scoion...The Instruters would spar you hard...But the students had no idea how to spar or even kick or deal with kicks. So I tried not to really kick. I just threw BS punches and BS kicks if i ever did kick to not offend anyone...

But My training is different than most...We learn how to get hit from the very beginning from sparring lightly then medium force...Free sparring is the best...The MORE WC you learn the more you can refine your sparring an incorporate more WC.

In short Chi Sau is cool like doing first form or partner drills. But in reality when you show your skill against a non-wing chun guy you want your Sparring to be better than your chi sau...just my two cents.

In actual free sparring where you can utlize your WC techniques to the fullest...You shouldnt allow the boxer to throw a hook or an upper cut...Upon bridging the gap you should continously jam his space, keep forward pressure on, keep driving in aggressively and relentless attacking as you deflect and control any bridge he presents as defensive guard or attack. He should at all times be backstepping from the pressure or up against a wall covering up attempting to weave where you utilize either po pai and chain punch to distrupt his weaving and bobbing and structure or you control his centre by grabbing the head or neck to strike simultaneously...

but againt what do I know...Im one of the least liked on the fourm!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
Ahhh! the 'reality' check for anyone wishing to train Martial Arts.

Thing is, how do you train 'to take a hit'? Without the sparring?

I only ask because this forum is getting so lame and tiresome I thought I would go way back to the roots of our Art... which isn't western pugilism!