Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Actual boxing techniques

Actual boxing techniques

Hi All

As a somewhat frustrated boxer-Mt-WCer, i see people putting up threads like "defense against hook", "how to deal with a boxer" etc etc

I wouldnt mind but the boxing "techniques", to be generous in description, are bad at best.

So here is a clip of a website showing actual boxing techniques, footwork and so on

http://www.myboxingcoach.com/... its very good

So, before putting up your anti-boxing move, have a look here and see if you are REALLY training against a boxer.......... not some guy pretending to be

Oh, and how do you make this a sticky???

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Hi All

As a somewhat frustrated boxer-Mt-WCer, i see people putting up threads like "defense against hook", "how to deal with a boxer" etc etc

I wouldnt mind but the boxing "techniques", to be generous in description, are bad at best.

So here is a clip of a website showing actual boxing techniques, footwork and so on

http://www.myboxingcoach.com/... its very good

So, before putting up your anti-boxing move, have a look here and see if you are REALLY training against a boxer.......... not some guy pretending to be

Oh, and how do you make this a sticky???

DO you really think that IF people want an honest representation of the most popular striking system in the world that they don't know where to find it?
    Dude, if WC people show horrific striking and call it "boxing", that is because they wanna sell some kool-aid.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    DO you really think that IF people want an honest representation of the most popular striking system in the world that they don't know where to find it?
    Dude, if WC people show horrific striking and call it "boxing", that is because they wanna sell some kool-aid.
    No, i think otherwise. They just dont know.
    And WC guys are not alone in their understanding, or lack thereof, of boxing.

Theres a line of people, about a 1000 miles long, showing crap "defense against a hook" clip

One other thing

Its one thing seeing clips and another understanding if they , myboxingcoach.com for eg, are valid or not.

As a wc-boxer im putting my experience forward.... problem?

One other thing

Its one thing seeing clips and another understanding if they , myboxingcoach.com for eg, are valid or not.

As a wc-boxer im putting my experience forward.... problem?
    No, no problem at all.
    I think it is a good idea for people to learn and see what real boxing is.
    My point is that there is so much info already that, if people don't know it's probably because they don't want to.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Theres a line of people, about a 1000 miles long, showing crap "defense against a hook" clip
    i think they dont want to know, i mean ronins point is valid, boxing is THE most popular combat sport in the world, its the only one on every tv station in nearly every country, if they actually wanted to know what a hook punch is, and how its set up all they need to do is look at any weekend sports channel for the info, i think they simply like to believe boxing is one thing, and thus they can beat it easily when in fact its something totally different

No, no problem at all.
    My point is that there is so much info already that, if people don't know it's probably because they don't want to.
    **** you beat me to it

No, no problem at all.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlx...t#.UXFPD6xxtyJ

Watch the Tony Zale-Marcel Cerdan fight. I watched it last night. I was listening to Edith Paf singing Autumn Leaves-since Piaf and Cerdan were a pair-watching one led to the other.
    I happen to think that most depicting contrived defenses on youtube are junk.

Cerdan and Zale were "reaL'boxers- watch their hooks-right and left and their timing and the follow up.
    Last edited by Vajramusti; 04-19-2013 at 07:15 AM.

Personally, I don't think of our training as 'anti-boxing'.

It doesn't matter to me what name we give to a given strike. In the clip I posted my interest was in what was happening - not what we 'call' the initial attack.

So if you guys say, "Hey, that's not a hook." Okay, so it's not a hook. And?

I didn't post it as an example of 'how to beat a boxer'. A guy swings a punch, the other guy shows a method of dealing with it.

Whether a hook was there or not wasn't really the point. But if panties are in a twist, don't worry about it.

Do people here train their Wing Chun specifically to deal with a trained boxer?

I don't. And I don't train to deal specifically with any particular type of professional fighter.
    No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post
    Personally, I don't think of our training as 'anti-boxing'.

It doesn't matter to me what name we give to a given strike. In the clip I posted my interest was in what was happening - not what we 'call' the initial attack.

So if you guys say, "Hey, that's not a hook." Okay, so it's not a hook. And?

I didn't post it as an example of 'how to beat a boxer'. A guy swings a punch, the other guy shows a method of dealing with it.

Whether a hook was there or not wasn't really the point. But if panties are in a twist, don't worry about it.

Do people here train their Wing Chun specifically to deal with a trained boxer?

I don't. And I don't train to deal specifically with any particular type of professional fighter.
    So you train to beat those that have no skill or training...what do you think might happen if you meet someone with actual skill then??

Agreed Glenn, it's not just Wing Chun people. Other martial arts show demos against what they think it a hook. It's usually a haymaker that they think is a hook.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    So you train to beat those that have no skill or training...what do you think might happen if you meet someone with actual skill then??
    I train to defend against attacks from someone looking to hurt me. I don't label what they do or don't do in terms of a named technique.

What would happen if I met someone with actual skill? Who can ever say! I've seen people I know are skilled get their arses handed to them by people who had skill but no formal training.

I try to train against heavy attacks, build in resistance training to see how I come out against 'unwilling' opponents, etc.

My point is that I couldn't care less what they "call" a technique.

I'm talking of self defense. I have no interest in training for competition - just don't have the time or desire/need.

But I've had a few scrapes and my training didn't let me down so far (thankfully), and I meet other martial artists (friends) to spar and mix things up - they have skill to.

But I am under no illusions - if I came up against a pro fighter I would probably be toast - and the same is true for pretty much everyone on this forum, I dare say, who trains but doesn't want to enter a competition.
    No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

No, no problem at all.
    My point of putting this site up was that he EXPLAINS how and why they are doing things.
    Sure theres plenty of clips of good hooks for example, but what i like about this site is that he breaks everything down piece by piece, something that i think a lot of guys here should look at before putting up anti boxing stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    i think they dont want to know, i mean ronins point is valid, boxing is THE most popular combat sport in the world, its the only one on every tv station in nearly every country, if they actually wanted to know what a hook punch is, and how its set up all they need to do is look at any weekend sports channel for the info, i think they simply like to believe boxing is one thing, and thus they can beat it easily when in fact its something totally different
    You know, i honestly dont think they do know. The plethora of anti-boxing WC clips would back that up

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlx...t#.UXFPD6xxtyJ

Watch the Tony Zale-Marcel Cerdan fight. I watched it last night. I was listening to Edith Paf singing Autumn Leaves-since Piaf and Cerdan were a pair-watching one led to the other.
    I happen to think that most depicting contrived defenses on youtube are junk.

Cerdan and Zale were "reaL'boxers- watch their hooks-right and left and their timing and the follow up.
    Youre so old school Joy..... shame we couldnt sit down together and watch a few old fights together.

Now those two were warriors, not sure if you been following this....

http://www.boxing.com/the_100_greate...ine_20_11.html

Its been a joy and i think Cerdan is about to come up. Hers a nice litle article about him and Zale

http://www.boxing.com/play_it_again_...el_cerdan.html

Enjoy