Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Actual boxing techniques

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Agreed Glenn, it's not just Wing Chun people. Other martial arts show demos against what they think it a hook. It's usually a haymaker that they think is a hook.
    Agreed Phil

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post
    Personally, I don't think of our training as 'anti-boxing'.

It doesn't matter to me what name we give to a given strike. In the clip I posted my interest was in what was happening - not what we 'call' the initial attack.

So if you guys say, "Hey, that's not a hook." Okay, so it's not a hook. And?

I didn't post it as an example of 'how to beat a boxer'. A guy swings a punch, the other guy shows a method of dealing with it.

Whether a hook was there or not wasn't really the point. But if panties are in a twist, don't worry about it.

Do people here train their Wing Chun specifically to deal with a trained boxer?

I don't. And I don't train to deal specifically with any particular type of professional fighter.
    Actually, i wasnt starting this post in response to yours. Theres been a million "anti-boxing" clips put up here

Training against a boxer

A hook, a jab and upper cuts and body shots are thrown slightly differently depending on the boxers build an training...

I find lighter weight more skilled boxers tend to throw their hooks alot shorter and closer than some bigger guys with less skills. it all depends. At the boxing gym i visited there is a Small guy who has enormous power with in a close range. The way he spars with mofos is evidence of that. His body shots and hooks are pretty strong for him to be only 135lbs and 5'7" I rather fight a unskilled heavy weight for power than him.

but at the end of the day its simple

BS drills to defend against a hook or jab is just a drill...Its not gonna save you in a fight...You can drill, drill and drill something a million times,,,,until you actually try using what you drilled in sparring it will be a useless shape...

you will find sparring with different boxers of different skill levels and different sizes some drills work better than others...You must also learn to tweak the posistion and range of your techniques on the fly...learn how to adjust and adapt an change...if bridging aint working learn how to evade. If Evading is too slow learn how to control. But if your using boxing gloves, NOT mma grappling gloves the dimension of your wing chun changes significantly...

I suggest sparring and try bridging and deflecting techniques with WC gloves on while sparring an see what works for you...For me there are about three main techniques that work with Boxing Gloves the best...Most of the ish I disregard.

But the best way to defend a hook is find out what works when your sparring!!!

Even then timing, coordiation and accuracy play a big part...you aint gonna be able to defend every strike thrown at you...you may have to eat a few if you expect to land any strikes yourself!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Hi All

As a somewhat frustrated boxer-Mt-WCer, i see people putting up threads like "defense against hook", "how to deal with a boxer" etc etc

I wouldnt mind but the boxing "techniques", to be generous in description, are bad at best.

So here is a clip of a website showing actual boxing techniques, footwork and so on

http://www.myboxingcoach.com/... its very good

So, before putting up your anti-boxing move, have a look here and see if you are REALLY training against a boxer.......... not some guy pretending to be

Oh, and how do you make this a sticky???

Nice post, agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Even then timing, coordiation and accuracy play a big part...you aint gonna be able to defend every strike thrown at you...you may have to eat a few if you expect to land any strikes yourself!
    Ahhh! the 'reality' check for anyone wishing to train Martial Arts.

Thing is, how do you train 'to take a hit'? Without the sparring?

I only ask because this forum is getting so lame and tiresome I thought I would go way back to the roots of our Art... which isn't western pugilism!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Thing is, how do you train 'to take a hit'? Without the sparring?
    !
    you cant, you can fool yourself into thinking you can, but you really cant

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    you cant, you can fool yourself into thinking you can, but you really cant
    I disagree...

Notice I am asking how to train to be hit? Not how to fight? They are different animals from my experience, and if you train one over the other you may still be daunted by either.

Training to be hit was (and still is) a speciality of Shaolin. It's generally called 'Iron Shirt' and any well trained MMA fighter has this and gained it, not from sparring only (or any Shaolin training!) but from other complimentary body work and equipment. The medicine ball springs to mind.

Training to be hit is the first step to successful 'Self Defence'
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    I disagree...

Notice I am asking how to train to be hit? Not how to fight? They are different animals from my experience, and if you train one over the other you may still be daunted by either.

Training to be hit was (and still is) a speciality of Shaolin. It's generally called 'Iron Shirt' and any well trained MMA fighter has this and gained it, not from sparring only (or any Shaolin training!) but from other complimentary body work and equipment. The medicine ball springs to mind.

Training to be hit is the first step to successful 'Self Defence'
    toughening the body and learning how to take a hit are two different things, i speak as someone who spent 5 years doing specific iron body training (so i understand that thank you) and as someone who has gone through MMA training, training to take a hit includes learning to roll with a strike both to the body especially to the head, something iron skills dont teach

Training to take a hit and trying HOW to take a hit are two different beast BUT should be part of the same training.
    You progress from static training ( getting hit while learning how your body reacts and how to take that hit in that area) to dynamic training ( getting hit while actually fighting).
    One without the other leads you to half-baked skills.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Training to take a hit and trying HOW to take a hit are two different beast BUT should be part of the same training.
    You progress from static training ( getting hit while learning how your body reacts and how to take that hit in that area) to dynamic training ( getting hit while actually fighting).
    One without the other leads you to half-baked skills.
    so in short you cant learn to take a hit without sparring???

so in short you cant learn to take a hit without sparring???
    Sure you can, just under controlled circumstances.
    Being able to take a hit WHILE FIGHTING is a different matter and for that you MUST fight AND get hit.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Sure you can, just under controlled circumstances.
    Being able to take a hit WHILE FIGHTING is a different matter and for that you MUST fight AND get hit.
    so what's the point from a self defence perspective of learning to take a hit in a controlled circumstance if it doesnt translate into taking a hit in fighting?

so what's the point from a self defence perspective of learning to take a hit in a controlled circumstance if it doesnt translate into taking a hit in fighting?
    It looks cool at parties?

Its a progressive thing, no one really jumps in to full contact sparring without some training to take a shot right?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    A hook, a jab and upper cuts and body shots are thrown slightly differently depending on the boxers build an training...

I find lighter weight more skilled boxers tend to throw their hooks alot shorter and closer than some bigger guys with less skills. it all depends. At the boxing gym i visited there is a Small guy who has enormous power with in a close range. The way he spars with mofos is evidence of that. His body shots and hooks are pretty strong for him to be only 135lbs and 5'7" I rather fight a unskilled heavy weight for power than him.
    Curious which gym was this you visited and how many guys did you spar with there?
    How often do you spar with these guys you're talking about?
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Not to pile on but if you do a google search you can find awesome boxing videos by Don Familton.