Thread: Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio

Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio

http://archive.org/stream/strangesto...age/8/mode/2up

"The belief the human eye contains a tiny human is a universal belief in China"

Herbert Giles 1880 Talking Pupils. Was this really a popular belief I've never heard about it in western myths?.

I randomly stumbled on this book a few days ago..its one of my favorites just for how old it is but fits the whole Twilight Zone script themes

http://archive.org/search.php?query=...iatype%3Atexts

A few different copies if you don't have it, two volumes from 1880 and a third print in one volume from 1909.

Does anyone have any links/recommendations for texts dealing with superstitions from ming/ching era? just watched ten hour China in Revolution documentary on youtube, I'd like to get onsome pre-cowboy day ****...prefferably without the David Carradine

Liaozhai Zhiyi 聊齋誌異

A true Chinese classic and cypher for Chinese culture. It was the source material for PS and one of the early examples of wuxia - specifically the chapter The Lady Knight-Errant (Lorraine S. Y. Lieu translation).
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    A true Chinese classic and cypher for Chinese culture. It was the source material for PS and one of the early examples of wuxia - specifically the chapter The Lady Knight-Errant (Lorraine S. Y. Lieu translation).
    Thanks Gene, do you know the Chinese name for Talking Pupils, like the term for the old superstition of little men hidden in the reflection of eyes? It's a really short story but I really like the psychedelic Lewis Carrol "Alice and the mushroom" quality it has.

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    Thanks Gene, do you know the Chinese name for Talking Pupils, like the term for the old superstition of little men hidden in the reflection of eyes? It's a really short story but I really like the psychedelic Lewis Carrol "Alice and the mushroom" quality it has.
    I have a bilingual edition of the book, but I don't have access to it at the moment. I'll try to have an answer for you by tomorrow (unless someone answers first).