Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting: Tim Cartmell on BJJ & Kung Fu

Interesting: Tim Cartmell on BJJ & Kung Fu

Interesting perspective from a man who's been there and done that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=de3HLG681bk#!

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    nice vid. guy seems well versed in submissions. good to see integration of styles.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

lol i think hes a second degree BJJ black belt now so he should be somewhat versed in subs

always liked his stuff and what he says makes a lot of sense, to bad he is not atypical of kung fu teachers, or sports guys for that matter

For those that can't watch the 33 min video, can you give us a summary?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    For those that can't watch the 33 min video, can you give us a summary?
    Talks about how it took a while, but the lessons that he learned in kung fu (sensitivity, awareness, suppleness, work ethic) translated well to BJJ and vis-à-vis.

plus he displays a calm attitude towards martial arts. Very ego free.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Talks about how it took a while, but the lessons that he learned in kung fu (sensitivity, awareness, suppleness, work ethic) translated well to BJJ and vis-à-vis.

Tim has always been a very cool dude, very open to learning and has grasped one of the most important concepts in MA:
    Adapt or die.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Tim has always been a very cool dude, very open to learning and has grasped one of the most important concepts in MA:
    Adapt or die.
    he also talked about how nothing he had done in chinese arts helped him on the ground initially and it took a while for any sort of connection to be made between the two, he also talked about the need for some sort of contact in your art if you want to learn it for self defense

always thought he seemed a nice guy

I think that people that fight and do different systems will always see the commonality ( eventually) in what they do, its just natural.
    There is nothing that you can take from stand up into ground work that will help you unless you have done lots of stand up grappling and even then, the only thing you will get is that your ability to "read" your opponent is still there, it just needs to get used to the new stimuli.

translated well to BJJ and vice versa

The few students of his that I have encountered have been the very definition of unjustifiably egotistical twats. Granted, my exposure has been limited so it may very well have been a fluke and in all fairness, probably has more to do with the fact that dude teaches out of Orange County which has a significantly higher concentration of over preening douchebags per capita than the rest of Southern California.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    the few students of his that i have encountered have been the very definition of unjustifiably egotistical twats. Granted, my exposure has been limited so it may very well have been a fluke and in all fairness, probably has more to do with the fact that dude teaches out of orange county which has a significantly higher concentration of over preening douchebags per capita than the rest of southern california.
    lol

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    lol i think hes a second degree BJJ black belt now so he should be somewhat versed in sub

never seen the guy before.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    never seen the guy before.
    look up his competition matches his takedowns are very good and TCMA based, and his ground game very slick

There are a few people who can make the synthesis like Mr Cartmell and that is due to the excellent foundation he has had. Most, if not all of his detractors are skilled in 'mouth-fu" but TIm actually competes on levels that most CMA guys will either refuse to do or falter with their present level of 'skill' and that is the type of 'kungfu that I admire. Share, be kind to donkeys and twats but keep kicking arse

The proof of the pudding is in the eating!

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    he also talked about how nothing he had done in chinese arts helped him on the ground initially and it took a while for any sort of connection to be made between the two, he also talked about the need for some sort of contact in your art if you want to learn it for self defense

always thought he seemed a nice guy
    I take private lessons with Tim whenever he is in town. As an interesting side note he leans toward body weight exercises when trying to get stronger though he isn't against pumping iron. Most of his strength training comes from be exercises.

He has a great synthesis. He can teach you traditional internal arts as well as mma fighting. I would relearn all my "internal" martial arts with him just because he is also a fighter. He seems to he the ideal "internal" master of legend because he us not a big guy but can still out a whooping on people.

His students may be a-holes(I haven't met any of them so I dont know) but he is a nice guy and a great teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by SavvySavage View Post
    His students may be a-holes(I haven't met any of them so I dont know) but he is a nice guy and a great teacher.
    I doubt they're all like that, it was just two and really the only thing was that they acted like they were much better than they actually turned out to be. I don't subscribe to the notion that a students behavior necessarily reflects on their teacher/s.

I also just have a healthy prejudice against Orange County.