Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Space thread of things that actually exist and we can prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    You just gave me an Ender's Game flashback. I need to read that again...
    "Which way is down?"
    "The enemy gate!"

It would be a blast to try the partner drills in the battle room.

Good book. I hope the movie does it justice. I doubt they will stay true to the book. It will probably be "modernized". Still, I hope for the best.
    Did you read any of the other books in the series? Most people don't like them as much.

I like Bean.
    Last edited by Syn7; 04-28-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    In order to keep from completely hijacking Syn7's thread I'll add a little something from space...

Fighting in space totally applies. I'm sure wombat combat covers it.

And just to be clear...

The myth that satellites remain in orbit because they have "escaped Earth's gravity" is perpetuated further (and falsely) by almost universal misuse of the word "zero gravity" to describe the free-falling conditions aboard orbiting space vehicles. Of course, this isn't true; gravity still exists in space. It keeps satellites from flying straight off into interstellar emptiness. What's missing is "weight", the resistance of gravitational attraction by an anchored structure or a counterforce. Satellites stay in space because of their tremendous horizontal speed, which allows them — while being unavoidably pulled toward Earth by gravity — to fall "over the horizon." The ground's curved withdrawal along the Earth's round surface offsets the satellites' fall toward the ground. Speed, not position or lack of gravity, keeps satellites in orbit around the earth. - James Oberg
    It's interesting how certain misnomers become acceptable. Even the people in space who know better use the word.
    Last edited by Syn7; 04-28-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Fighting in space totally applies. I'm sure wombat combat covers it.

And just to be clear...

The myth that satellites remain in orbit because they have "escaped Earth's gravity" is perpetuated further (and falsely) by almost universal misuse of the word "zero gravity" to describe the free-falling conditions aboard orbiting space vehicles. Of course, this isn't true; gravity still exists in space. It keeps satellites from flying straight off into interstellar emptiness. What's missing is "weight", the resistance of gravitational attraction by an anchored structure or a counterforce. Satellites stay in space because of their tremendous horizontal speed, which allows them — while being unavoidably pulled toward Earth by gravity — to fall "over the horizon." The ground's curved withdrawal along the Earth's round surface offsets the satellites' fall toward the ground. Speed, not position or lack of gravity, keeps satellites in orbit around the earth. - James Oberg

It's interesting how certain misnomers become acceptable. Even the people in space who know better use the word.

Hahaha, wombat combat!!! I had to look this one up a few months ago and it still cracks me up.

About zero gravity... I think it's just a case of accepted nomenclature. I understand that there isn't 100% zero gravity in space, but it's just easier to say it that way. Still, I appreciate your precision.

Short but very funny clip about Science.

Watch: An Astrophysicist Explode Live On Stage

Because CANADA!!!!

Kung Fu is good for you.

I see your nickle and throw down a Chris Hadfield!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPtfciFFN1M

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Short but very funny clip about Science.

Watch: An Astrophysicist Explode Live On Stage
    All the videos from the Origins project are great. That one was really good too. It's not very often that you get all those guys on one stage. Lawrence Krauss is putting in some serious overtime on that one. You guys should watch the whole thing, it's all pretty good.

Chris Hadfield transfers command of the International Space Station today

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/geekq...164648158.html

Canadian astronaut Hadfield describes feeling banged-up after return to gravity

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadian-as...141333961.html

If you are in any position to possibly witness a nice aurora, tonight and tomorrow would be a good time to look.