Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
Our infrastructure was designed by Steve Creel, who founded this forum. He built some really innovative stuff back in the day, but we took over the site about a decade ago, and our present IT doesn't like to mess with Steve's code for all sorts of reasons. The truth is that the forum here is low man on the totem pole, which is understandable when you consider our IT oversees our commerce sites as well as our office network, and that's a crucial to us staying in business. We've been discussing migrating to a new platform. One of our people is looking at converting us to Wordpress, but there's hesitancy as our TCEC Wordpress experiment has been so lackluster. Also, the biggest concern is losing links and data. When we last migrated the forum, it severed all of the hyperlinks to MAM - all those little embedded links I do, along some of you other loyal members - which wound up costing the company an astounding amount of income. It was devastating.

But I totally hear ya, wenshu. It's just like I said, low man on the totem pole.
I interviewed for a gig where the majority of the work was migrating a substantial in production codebase from PHP4 to 5. Eff that.

Wordpress is so cumbersome and bloated, it sucks. I've used it for a couple sites and hate it. My present shop uses Expression Engine for a lot of front end stuff. http://ellislab.com/expressionengine

Licensed but its worth it to get a quality professional grade CMS without all the nonsense of Wordpress or Drupal (like encrypted javascript embedded into Themes that silently download malware).

The lost links wouldn't be an issue nowadays; that's what stackoverflow is for.

It looks like martialartsmart.com could use an upgrade as well.

A couple of medium reserved instances on EC2 with an ELB, HTTPS Ngnix with PHP-FPM, MongoDB and MySQL clusters on the backend. Sheeeeit, for an extra couple grand I'll even set up source control repository (svn or git) with continuous integration.