Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Develop bad habits from sport

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Not as a training mechanism.

As a fighting tactic? Yes, it's foolish to do this.
    To train someone to keep the elbows down and the arms closer to the body, it's a viable method.

chambered kicks and punches are beginners drills after all.
    It's not like guys who have finally mastered their style "train" this. They teach it, but train it?
    Training/teaching positions and body alignment outside the context of their application is also retarded.

"Hey New Guy! Do this form this way for 8 months! Then, stop doing it that way and do it correctly! That's the traditional method of our masters!"
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Too many times schools have their students do this then when sparring comes all you see is a ton of head shots and guys with their hands down. How can you teach people to keep their hands low and then expect them to protect themselves when it counts.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Training/teaching positions and body alignment outside the context of their application is also retarded.

"Hey New Guy! Do this form this way for 8 months! Then, stop doing it that way and do it correctly! That's the traditional method of our masters!"
    reallly..so lifting weight is bad for developing a fighter?

There is all sorts of appendant training that is about breaking old habits and about developing areas that will be used.

I can't agree with your point. If everything we did was specific to the application, then where would the extra needs come in?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    Too many times schools have their students do this then when sparring comes all you see is a ton of head shots and guys with their hands down. How can you teach people to keep their hands low and then expect them to protect themselves when it counts.
    What schools? how many times?

these broad and general statements about the significance of traditional training methods don't explain anything about why they're bad and they only explain what individuals don't like or understand.

If people train others to spar with their hands down, they are indeed training them wrong. In which case, take a walk from that school that does that.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Chambering your fists to your waist when you punch is way more retarded.

Of course it's for training and not for combat. I will even go to the extream by putting both hands on my right waist before striking, and left hand on my left waist after striking. This way I will have my left shoulder forward before my punch, and have my right shoulder forward after my punch. I will know that my body has turned a perfect 180 degree during my punch.

To move your body from one extream to another extream is one of many power generation methods. IMO, Only punching by using arm without using waist (hip) is a "bad habit".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-29-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

What schools? how many times?

these broad and general statements about the significance of traditional training methods don't explain anything about why they're bad and they only explain what individuals don't like or understand.

If people train others to spar with their hands down, they are indeed training them wrong. In which case, take a walk from that school that does that.
    3 of the 4 that I've been a member of. All the time, not once while I was with them did we practise keeping the guard up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    3 of the 4 that I've been a member of. All the time, not once while I was with them did we practise keeping the guard up.
    Yeesh.

All I can say to that is..."Jebas!"

That is a pretty terrible experience.
    WTF?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Chambering your fists to your waist when you punch is way more retarded.

There are two views on this:
    1) the longer movements make for more exercise
    2) the longer movements make for a more powerful strike.

Both have been shown to be true BUT both have also been shown to "not true" since many MA do NOT chamber their strikes and their fighters have comparable, if not better, striking power.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    There are two views on this:
    1) the longer movements make for more exercise
    2) the longer movements make for a more powerful strike.
    Sanjuro's punching coach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7D8EUz_b9Y
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

reallly..so lifting weight is bad for developing a fighter?
    Do you lift weights with the intent of locking a joint? Or do you lift weights with the intent of building your mechanical strength. God help you if it's the former.

If everything we did was specific to the application, then where would the extra needs come in?
    Extra needs are specific, as well. If you want to run a marathon, there is no need to run wind sprints. Even weight lifting is tailored to specific application, depending on the sport/activity. NFL players and ice skaters both benefit from weight training...just not the same type of weight training.

Shame on you, advocating the gratuitous abuse of watermelons !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Do you lift weights with the intent of locking a joint? Or do you lift weights with the intent of building your mechanical strength. God help you if it's the former.

Extra needs are specific, as well. If you want to run a marathon, there is no need to run wind sprints. Even weight lifting is tailored to specific application, depending on the sport/activity. NFL players and ice skaters both benefit from weight training...just not the same type of weight training.
    What you are failing to understand is that the chambering is a method to keep arms in and elbows down. This facilitates correct alignment when striking.

Back pedaling; you're doing it in favour of terms and methods you understand vs those you apparently don't or feign not understanding.

I thought you studied some kind of Korean Kung Fu? In which case you should know exactly what chambering is about and when and why it's introduced into the training regimen of the kung fu student.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

What you are failing to understand is that the chambering is a method to keep arms in and elbows down. This facilitates correct alignment when striking.
    You know what else teaches you to keep your elbows down? Punching with your elbows down. Except you get the added benefit of also doing everything else correctly.

I thought you studied some kind of Korean Kung Fu? In which case you should know exactly what chambering is about and when and why it's introduced into the training regimen of the kung fu student.
    Hey, we can't all learn Black Tiger from Sifus who learned off VHS tapes and refuse to acknowldge it.

You know what else teaches you to keep your elbows down? Punching with your elbows down. Except you get the added benefit of also doing everything else correctly.

Hey, we can't all learn Black Tiger from Sifus who learned off VHS tapes and refuse to acknowldge it.
    Oooh aren't you just a snippy little bitch today. lol

If you wanna make fun of one of my teachers without knowing him, or his circumstances, or his teachers, go ahead. I could not care less.

That wasn't my point Gerald you ass hat. The point was that Kung Fu isn't western boxing, boxing isn't wrestling, wrestling isn't sword fighting etc etc.

I don't know why you whine so much about Kung Fu on a Fu Forum.
    You passive aggressive fruitcake.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 04-29-2013 at 12:27 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

****, we need some flame wars here STAT

...before the bored mods kill each other.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart