Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The irrationality of gloved sparring

The irrationality of gloved sparring

Gloves change the way you hit. Why do people value gloved sparring so much when it is impossible to fight that way ungloved?

Gloved sparring is worthless because:

a) it encourages you to hit in a way that will mean you break your hand on the first or second punch, unless you are a girl or a small child

b) it trains false reactions, in both the puncher and punchee, that only hold when gloves are worn

c) it instills dangerous false confidence based on a model that is not close to reality. Gloved sparring is in some ways the opposite of Kano's genius in revolutionising grappling with randori. Randori removes the dangerous techniques while allowing realistic grappling training with full resistance. Gloved sparring actually accentuates the dangerous techniques while providing a completely false framework of action and reaction.

discuss

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    discuss
    Clueless. Thank you.

If you don't like gloved sparring, don't do it.

Just don't expect everyone else to agree with you, and above all DON'T try to start a pointless argument on the forum.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Gloves change the way you hit. Why do people value gloved sparring so much when it is impossible to fight that way ungloved?

a) it encourages you to hit in a way that will mean you break your hand on the first or second punch, unless you are a girl or a small child

b) it trains false reactions, in both the puncher and punchee, that only hold when gloves are worn

c) it instills dangerous false confidence based on a model that is not close to reality. Gloved sparring is in some ways the opposite of Kano's genius in revolutionising grappling with randori. Randori removes the dangerous techniques while allowing realistic grappling training with full resistance. Gloved sparring actually accentuates the dangerous techniques while providing a completely false framework of action and reaction.

discuss
    hahaha and since I need to write some more text so hahaha

"The Irrationality of Gloved Sparring" by someone who has never sparred with gloves before.
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

discuss
    A) nonsense
    B) nonsense
    C) nonsense

Honestly have I lie down, a nice cup of tea, gather your senses, call a boxing gym, enrol, train there for a few months and come and see if you can pose the same questions.

discuss
    You may want to look at the fighters gloved sparring has produced over the last 150 years.

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    You may want to look at the fighters gloved sparring has produced over the last 150 years.
    The fighters fighting with gloves on you mean? If sports competition is your aim then gloved sparring is a good idea. If not then not.

The fighters fighting with gloves on you mean? If sports competition is your aim then gloved sparring is a good idea. If not then not.
    I am saying look at the skill levels produced by sport fighters wearing gloves. Those skills don't just evaporate when you take the gloves off. A good boxer remains a good boxer even when he doesn't have on gloves or have his cup or mouthpiece or even headgear.

how many sports fighters have you known, seriously you are pretty dumb if you really think this stuff and arent just trolling

what is the option if not gloved sparring, chisao, pulled punches? no contact? because that really has been shown to produce good street fighters hasnt it............
    it still amazes me that people gloss over the fact WSL was a gloved up boxer before wing chun

Cool

discuss

Gloves, 4-6 oz mma style, are great for vt sparring, they allow intercepting lines and all our hand techniques. Light contact with bare knuckles will cut a lip as soon as look at it.
    I do mix up sparring and drilling with or without. Knowing when to use open hand strikes on guys who come in head down is important in bare handed fights to avoid injuries and allow easy 100 % power shots with no fear of hand injury to skulls. It is from sparring injuries that you learn what to avoid and what to adopt before doing it for real and a guy drops his head as you punch.

Larger gloves impede vt techniques. One of our major hand concepts is shut down if we can't strike using a specific line. Try this with 12-oz + boxing gloves and you end up striking in parallel and trade punches down the center. It would induce head slips to compensate for lack of arm interception.

I am saying look at the skill levels produced by sport fighters wearing gloves. Those skills don't just evaporate when you take the gloves off. A good boxer remains a good boxer even when he doesn't have on gloves or have his cup or mouthpiece or even headgear.
    It's not the skill it's the rule he is bound by, using the one side of the fist. Hitting with knuckles in bare handed fights can be injured if the opponent head butts the hands. A reason gloves where introduced.
    I have seen security guys who box injure their hands hitting heads with no gloves. They like the open palm strikes I showed them.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    It's not the skill it's the rule he is bound by, using the one side of the fist. Hitting with knuckles in bare handed fights can be injured if the opponent head butts the hands. A reason gloves where introduced.
    I have seen security guys who box injure their hands hitting heads with no gloves. They like the open palm strikes I showed them.
    It depends on the sport since some sports unlike boxing allow you to hit with hammerfists, backfists and the like. I agree you can hurt your hand and that gloves provide protection. This protection is what allows you to really hit and to do it much much more often and o develop better skill faster since you don't need to stop practicing due to hand injury. In a real fight or even competition an injury may happen but you will still have the skill and the injury often doesn't slow you down like Jones broken toe or Coutures broken arm.

Open hand strikes are an option but don't have same effect.

discuss

And once more it is shown why WC is the red headed step-child of the MA.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

It depends on the sport since some sports unlike boxing allow you to hit with hammerfists, backfists and the like. I agree you can hurt your hand and that gloves provide protection. This protection is what allows you to really hit and to do it much much more often and o develop better skill faster since you don't need to stop practicing due to hand injury. In a real fight or even competition an injury may happen but you will still have the skill and the injury often doesn't slow you down like Jones broken toe or Coutures broken arm.

Open hand strikes are an option but don't have same effect.
    You mentioned boxing , I replied with boxing issues. Sure we can fight with one arm using Bil Gee too for exactly this reason.
    Yes when I hit guys with an open hand I know the results from experience of real fights thanks.