Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Years and years...

Years and years...

If you dont learn wing chun in 5 years, if you are dedicated, your si fu is using you for some other stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Jox View Post
    If you dont learn wing chun in 5 years, if you are dedicated, your si fu is using you for some other stuff...
    Or you are hopeless and should take up something else

Sometimes I think no matter how much I learn I display 'hopeless', LOL

Rather like my tennis - after years and years of playing, I still have a tendency to double-fault, hit backhands long, believe my game at the net is far more advanced than it actually is, etc.
    No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post
    Sometimes I think no matter how much I learn I display 'hopeless', LOL

Rather like my tennis - after years and years of playing, I still have a tendency to double-fault, hit backhands long, believe my game at the net is far more advanced than it actually is, etc.
    Well said. You may be able to learn and "know" the whole system in five years, but how well you can actually apply it varies tremendously. For me, it is my life's work just to be "passably good". But as you pointed out, the same could be said of most who play tennis, golf, or strive to become good at any other activity. True champions are not just trained, they are born for their sport.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Knowing a curriculum is not an indicator of skill.

Done But Never Finished

One should be "proficient" in five years, just as one should understand the basics of a major after five years of college, but when does one really know the system?

Done but never finished....

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    One should be "proficient" in five years, just as one should understand the basics of a major after five years of college, but when does one really know the system?

Done but never finished....
    That is what I thought... Done but not finished....
    The problem in my opinion is, if not done in 10, 15 or 20 years...

Money mostly

How do you define learning Wing Chun? I mean you should learn the basic principles and idioms of Wing Chun in the first month. Forms, drills, and chi sao will come slowly after that. If that's how you define learning Wing Chun, then yes. You should learn the curriculum in less time than 5 years. But there's a big difference between learning a curriculum and learning/mastering Wing Chun. You never stop learning. In fact you should never think "I've got it now!" You should only think in terms of improving. The minute you start thinking you've got it figured out, you'll stop trying.

Wink Only in the name of 'development'

I’ve learnt ‘Sil Lum Tao’ and its developments within five to seven years, because I knew that I couldn’t pass his test and requirements, and he didn’t speak English that well at all, but through the years I was able to understand him with the help of his grandson ‘Victor’ (learnt to understand Cantonese but did not speak it as well as I should).

I’d tried to pass his test but physically I was unable to do so, because I kept butting self in the way of development, but only catered to the movements and not a strong sense of structural awareness, structural integrity, and structural sensibility (from a stance point of view), which only stressed out my progress and hindered years of development (years of hard work which only developed into nothing).

I’d truly through if he could do it that I could as well, but through the years of development I’d came to the realization that it did not work that way at all.

Take care,

But,,, without a strong sense or understanding of Sil Lum Tao, all of the other systems would be way too much to process. 'Sli Lum Tao' is the seed and a weak seed will bring nothing but bad fruit.

Take care,

2 years is plenty of time to learn all the content of Wing Chun.
    3 empty hand forms that are progressive in learning. One adds to the next, very simple butterfly knives set or 8 cut knives as they are known as in WC, a pole form that is fairly simple and some work on the dummy depending on who you learned from.

It is a small distilled system that is intended to be learned and used in as short a time line as possible. That is the utility of it.

having said that, it is interesting to see people conspiring to remove the utilitarian value of WC by adding in tons of non WC stuff to it, attributing all sorts of things to it that are strictly personal or culturally based and so on.

It's a good, short timeline style to learn but I would say 5 years is even too long. 5 years for clf or hg maybe because of all the different forms and the extra stuff, multiple weapons etc etc etc.

WC is supposed to be simple and direct.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    3 empty hand forms that are progressive in learning. One adds to the next, very simple butterfly knives set or 8 cut knives as they are known as in WC, a pole form that is fairly simple and some work on the dummy depending on who you learned from.

It is a small distilled system that is intended to be learned and used in as short a time line as possible. That is the utility of it.

having said that, it is interesting to see people conspiring to remove the utilitarian value of WC by adding in tons of non WC stuff to it, attributing all sorts of things to it that are strictly personal or culturally based and so on.

It's a good, short timeline style to learn but I would say 5 years is even too long. 5 years for clf or hg maybe because of all the different forms and the extra stuff, multiple weapons etc etc etc.

WC is supposed to be simple and direct.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Good grief David-of course you like many have an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    “Two years” to finish all of the contents within the wing chun system, very interesting post. Maybe if I’d paid him money instead of being one of his many employees (prep cook) at two of his restaurants, I would’ve developed a lot faster……?

I’d trained three days a week while in ‘SIL Lum Tao’ (with my sifu) and I had no idea that I’ve should of been developed in that level of the system within “four months” of time to go on to the next; being that it’s a six form system, again very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Good grief David-of course you like many have an opinion.
    My opinion is formed by direct observation and participation.
    It is a small system, You can have it for your whole life like anything else, but truly, if you are still in the "learning" instead of "doing" stages 5 years on, you are either incapable of learning or very slow at it, too lazy to practice or indeed, someone is taking you for a ride.

Otherwise, WC is a good style. I was merely addressing the post.
    Kung Fu is good for you.